Jump to content

Goalie drawings?


Recommended Posts

I may have alluded to it in my "Introduce Yourself" post, but as a kid I'd always draw goalies. Anyway, I was cleaning up some stuff in the basement, and found a bunch of them from the mid-to-late 80s. I won't post too many here right away, but given that:

a) fixation with goalies from a young age, and

b) thinking the gear is hella-cool

...are both common currency here, I thought I'd take a guess that others drew/still draw goalies. If so, why not share with us? I'll get us started.

Roy.thumb.jpg.97388343da556d0c7132a698c560532d.jpg

hayward.thumb.jpg.9447beb19213bf4e48ba2438c81dcb75.jpg

5ac7c3369349b_multigoalies.thumb.jpg.af53a08278756df704d9c03adbe4ff3b.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

I like how Tugnutt looks like he's tugging his nuts.

BAHAHAHAHAHA! In my defence, I think I was like 7 when I did that. 

Lucky for my wife and kids, I never threatened to support the family on my art. Or goaltending...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm the same LuckyP. I'll find mine and scan them in. I did the exact same stuff.

Most importanly - we always got the gear right. Can't draw a nose, but I sure as hell can draw a Ferland blocker.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2018 at 8:08 AM, Lucky Pucker said:

BAHAHAHAHAHA! In my defence, I think I was like 7 when I did that. 

Lucky for my wife and kids, I never threatened to support the family on my art. Or goaltending...

We didn't have the internet. So we could only draw pictures from magazines or most times - hockey cards. My guess is that you were drawing this pose 

204327662_3a870f4338.jpg

I did a scratch board in High School of this picture:

s-l300.jpg

I'll post that scratch boardhere too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

At my grade school, when you reached 8th grade as part of "graduation" each student was given a ceiling tile to paint and have put up in the ceiling for posterity. Who else but the Eagle?? Exact Becket cover I used is below... and yes... I also still have that rookie card of his somewhere in a box. Pretty sure the ceiling tile didn't do this picture justice... I'm no artist.

Image result for ed belfour becket 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Drawing goalies is all I did in 5th-6th grade. Mostly Felix Potvin. I also drew one of Ed Belfour punching some guy in the face behind the net. I drew a lot of them based off hockey cards at the time. 

I also painted a Felix Potvin on a saw blade clock we made in shop class in 7th grade. I still had that up until a couple years ago. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

Drawing goalies is all I did in 5th-6th grade. Mostly Felix Potvin. I also drew one of Ed Belfour punching some guy in the face behind the net. I drew a lot of them based off hockey cards at the time. 

I also painted a Felix Potvin on a saw blade clock we made in shop class in 7th grade. I still had that up until a couple years ago. 

I still draw goalies, and I'm in college. I made my own amateur 2s customizer in cad and doodle when the lectures gets bland. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MTH said:

I'm the same LuckyP. I'll find mine and scan them in. I did the exact same stuff.

Most importanly - we always got the gear right. Can't draw a nose, but I sure as hell can draw a Ferland blocker.

FFS - and here I thought nobody would appreciate knowledge of the Ferland blocker! Lol! Awesome! 

And thanks for reviving this thread, @MTH - I thought I had maybe missed the mark with this one, initially. But lo and behold, goalies DID draw goalies when they were younger! See? I’m NOT crazy... or at very least it will not be proven here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MTH said:

There's a lot of Tugger making saves with his stick horizontal.

joel-richardson-mci-ron-tugnutt-ottawa-s

Yeah, this is more what (I think) I had in mind - though I’m going back more than 30 years. Essentially covering up while on his knees... or something. Gawd, I hope my kid never draws me making some awkward scramble save-LOL!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

At my grade school, when you reached 8th grade as part of "graduation" each student was given a ceiling tile to paint and have put up in the ceiling for posterity. Who else but the Eagle?? Exact Becket cover I used is below... and yes... I also still have that rookie card of his somewhere in a box. Pretty sure the ceiling tile didn't do this picture justice... I'm no artist.

Image result for ed belfour becket 

Oh, damn. The Beckett mags! I had this one too! This was my fav cover. It is such a striking image. I shied away from drawing Belfour because his mask was too complicated, and the fucking Blackhawks logo, well...

I think I have that RC too. But my prized possessions for cards are a Brett Hull RC and ... (wait for it) ... a Wayne Gretzky RC. :datass:

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Well, you’ve got some spare time now; ask the nurse for a pencil and some paper! :giggle:

Maybe so! 

I miss the old gear, spray painted over logos, mis-matched brands, etc.! Goalies were more fun to draw back in the day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Maybe so! 

I miss the old gear, spray painted over logos, mis-matched brands, etc.! Goalies were more fun to draw back in the day.

Especially all the rolls all over the pads! Well, except for Puppa, Lemelin and their stupid flat Aeroflex pads. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Especially all the rolls all over the pads! Well, except for Puppa, Lemelin and their stupid flat Aeroflex pads. 

I dug the Aeroflex just because they were so funky. It kinda surprised me that the design did not end up more popular than it was, but they were so far ahead of their time in some ways. 

I always would focus on details that were sometimes over kill on the pads and gloves. There was some weird and wonderful gear. Today’s gear is a little too homogenised IMO. If there weren’t logos, I could not tell the difference between most pads and gloves! Vaughns with the cheaters were easy to discern. Cooper pads were easy to spot. Love the old Brown, as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2018 at 6:05 PM, bunnyman666 said:

Maybe so! 

I miss the old gear, spray painted over logos, mis-matched brands, etc.! Goalies were more fun to draw back in the day.

hockey-buffalo-sabres-goalie-daren-puppa

Someone had the D&R gloves with big ol Krylon dots on the logo.

Remember now..

cloutier.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't get a chance to dig out my drawings this weekend. Sorry

My local goalie at the time was Ken Wregget. He went from wearing this:

4880-136Fr.jpg

To looking like this:

wregget.jpg

The Cooper GP(M)-PRO line was so rad. Sad that giant Cooper logo on the blocker had to get covered over.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MTH said:

hockey-buffalo-sabres-goalie-daren-puppa

Someone had the D&R gloves with big ol Krylon dots on the logo.

Remember now..

cloutier.jpg

Even Cooper got blobbed over at points!

It also seems to me that well-used gear is a no no. THAT is a shame!

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, MTH said:

I didn't get a chance to dig out my drawings this weekend. Sorry

My local goalie at the time was Ken Wregget. He went from wearing this:

4880-136Fr.jpg

To looking like this:

wregget.jpg

The Cooper GP(M)-PRO line was so rad. Sad that giant Cooper logo on the blocker had to get covered over.

I'm almost certain have that Wregget card!

As for those Aeroflex, I think I drew Puppa and/or Lemelin once or twice - but besides the logo, it's hard to do a satisfying kid's line-drawing; much more interesting to do the ribs and rolls and leg straps going through the face of the pad!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...