Bauer NME VTX Pro Mask

Bauer NME VTX Pro Mask 

In you follow my Instagram account, hopefully you figured out I’m about helmet safety. It pains me that NHL teams, gear companies, NHLPA, and equipment managers don’t convince player’s wearing poorly fitting masks to change them. I fully respect that it is a player’s livelihood and they may need a certain feel to have the confidence to succeed, but this particular item is silly. Does the NHL need to step in and mandate properly fitting masks like they did with visors?

5ad50db935388_HelmetFit.png.e9440d45b0aaf0c7211dd7e42c3641f1.png

So what does this rant have to do with a VTX review… Well, for my money, the Bauer 960 XPM and legacy Profile models before it are the standard for NHL masks. Unfortunately, that pushed a lot of people into wearing those masks that should not be. A 1 size fits all simply cannot fit everyone. To address goalies needing a wider or larger fit, Itech originally launched the NME line around 2006ish. Bauer has continued to carry the torch over a decade later and has drastically improved upon the original design. I would also to congratulate Bauer for having the largest range of fits available at retail with 5. 2 fall within the Profile line and 3 within the NME family.

4884CB53-A456-4F6D-9E46-C53B429AA131.jpeg7A166E4A-178F-4D39-81C9-57653C774849.jpeg

This means that Bauer should have a fit for nearly every adult goalie and there should be no goalies with the dreaded back plate gap or a bucket flapping in the breeze. It does not mean that the NME is better than the 960 or that that 960 is better than the VTX. It means that if you want to wear a pro level Bauer mask, they probably have a model that properly fits. Fit is the key to safety and that’s why I congratulated Bauer a paragraph earlier.

3348723C-A693-40F2-BF72-FC388CE1C3B6.jpegB74E26FE-30A7-4E32-A05E-48AFE0AE924D.jpeg

As for the newest NME itself, the VTX Pro, there’s two main takeaways from my demo period with this mask; protection and weight.

3EBA2E85-4F93-480F-8E99-6E5CC5A4B30F.jpeg6E14B5FC-6BC7-4E5B-9083-AE7264F35C9E.jpeg

This mask is loaded with engineered foams. There is xD foam in the temple and chin cup, a massive impact absorbing molded piece at the forehead, and plenty of soft foams for comfort in other areas. If you compare the inner padding of this mask to any other mask on the shelf, you should visibly see the safety built into the liner of this mask. Any goalie should feel confident this is designed to withstand the strongest of blows.

9AFB6384-618A-4238-AAA4-9589E70DAF60.jpegD7F612BE-07AE-4448-98B9-A41550E586DF.jpeg

The first skate that I wore this, I actually tested this to the limit. I was a step behind a pass across the crease and took a 1T to the temple. This was a USPHL Junior kid and I was literally shocked that I didn’t feel or hear anything. It was probably the least I ever noticed a shot that hard to the face. A moment like that makes you an instant believer.

2F386504-52DE-4257-B284-99D9B469C420.jpeg5770B0FF-B67A-4AD1-AD26-C21DD23E5F2D.jpeg

I have also taken a wicked elbow to the head with this mask. I was tracking a puck and watching it go wide into the corner when an attacking player crashed the net from my blind side. As I turned my whole head to see the puck, I was met abruptly with an elbow. I didn’t see it coming and it was the type of play that would normally make you take a second to collect yourself. Again, the VTX amazed me and I kept right on with the play. I think the attacking forward was almost amazed that collision didn’t stop me for a minute.

88CA601F-5913-4904-BF51-5538DA9AF5FF.jpeg

As referenced earlier, the weight is the other thing that will blow you away. The VTX is Bauer’s lightest mask. The Fit 2 I tested comes in at 1204 grams or 2.64 lbs. That is over ½ a lb or 300 grams lighter than the 960 XPM! For anyone who has seen my other mask in the forums, this a few grams heavier than my TGN Spec X CCM mask. When you compare the level of padding between the two helmets and that Bauer is using a double bar steel cage instead of my single bar TI, it puts the remarkable achievement into context.

E1703438-8B36-417F-AA67-9AE331A0E2EB.jpegAEDFD2A6-0BAF-4D5A-93C3-8808897E3654.jpeg

It’s also amazing when you pause to realize that there is a common tradeoff in product design between protection and weight. As a general rule of thumb, when you make something lighter, you often reduce the protection. Bauer reduced weight and increased the protection. It’s extremely rare when a company is able to pull that off.

ED738D57-2B45-4A48-9E90-4160604DDF1F.jpeg86B7A062-FB2C-462B-A0C1-7FAC14EBD29F.jpeg

So how does a company pull off the impossible and reduce weight and increase protection? New materials. The VTX uses Bauer’s coveted Textreme fibers which reduce weight and increase strength. Can’t remember where you’ve heard Textreme before? It’s the same type of engineered composite fiber material that Bauer uses in their 1S and 2S goalie stick. The lightweight molded foams also add to the unique combination of protection and weight.

One other unique item I found on the VTX was the peripheral vision. In full disclosure, I probably would be fit into the Profile series if I did a fitting with a pro rep. However, I have a pretty neutral head shape and the NME Fit 2 fit seems to be working great for me. With this mask being designed to fit a wider face and the way my face sits deeper in the cutout, I found my lateral field of vision to be widely increased.  I am not sure if everyone will find this same phenomenon, but it’s a sneaky bonus.

214628FE-536F-44B2-8AE2-6945ECCDCC5A.jpegA79A2C13-6286-4F54-9046-CA90CF2CE6A4.jpeg

So are there any low points for me on the mask? Of course, no product is perfect or at least perfect for me. But, there’s only a couple. One falls into a preference thing and the other might boarder on nitpicky.

B83CE8C4-F70F-46DD-AF20-F74EDF59799F.jpeg7AAC90C3-F355-457F-8026-4C43DEB3B955.jpeg

The first thing that might take people some extra time getting used to is the padding. I am in love with how safe this mask feels. It is also quite comfortable. However, it does have a different feel. It does not feel like the cream or black foam that is traditionally in masks. This is an item of preference and what feels different to me might feel perfect to you. I am reviewing my experience with the mask, so I feel obligated to point it out.

642ECCA6-6329-43C3-A717-C144D3C07AD6.jpeg7C9BFE70-0529-4CD7-8AA0-FC07FE64D22D.jpeg

To elaborate on this more, my current mask has minimal foam padding in it. It almost feels as if the forms a bit of suction once you begin to sweat. As a result, the mask sticks to you like glue and I barely notice the mask on my head. The VTX is no doubt more padded, and therefor theoretically safer, but I tend to notice the mask on my face more. I am hopeful this is something that I will overcome with more skates as I get fully acclimated to this mask. I believe this is because the modern and safer foams do not have that same suction or fit factor.

Secondly, and you may call me nitpicky, is a couple items with fit and finish. The first thing is that the cage does not sit perfect straight or centered on the mask. It is something that you might not notice, but as I have studied different parts of the mask for my review, I have noticed it. It’s slight, but I think the typical consumer might expect more of pro level mask.

6B56EEF9-6F2D-4766-A2DB-DAB6F641B3B9.jpegBFE1AD31-A54B-4DC7-A66C-02AB907DB5B3.jpeg

Secondly, the cage has some exposed weld joints exposed in obvious areas. I don’t notice them while I am playing and I don’t believe them to impact performance, however it was one of the first things I noticed when I unboxed this. It ties into the cage and expecting something labeled as “pro” to be flawless.

F154C5C4-43BB-480E-9933-19F9670C92E2.jpeg5ad5183d1ca29_VTXDuby.png.5f6449542cb77f9522261dd46399f126.png

In closing, I think Bauer took a major step forward with the NME line and I hope anyone who fits into the VTX will give it a look. It’s in the running for both the lightest and safest mask on the market. If we compare that to other pieces of equipment, like a C&A, it’s nearly impossible to make that claim of winning both achievements with the same product. Bauer really did something special here. I’m pretty confident this will get the #NetWorthy rating once it graduates to a long term review. 

Vasy.png.7fde7e58391488b2c4a3a41e86c18218.png5ad518430ff20_VTXSchnieder.png.675a807f8e7b1bf29703d6b30d01aab5.png

I also hope this mask will convince anyone who sandwiches themselves into a Profile series and shouldn’t be there to convert to the VTX. This mask is currently worn by Schneider, Vasy, and Duby and has the classic Bauer look. There is no reason to buy into the silly stigma that the Profile is a better mask. For everyone who properly fits into an NME, the VTX is probably the best mask available at retail for you.

5ad50fba0333b_ConnorVTX.png.2750cc1f07c8917afc84dfd7b324b714.png5ad5185c70432_VTXTick.png.ead0f2242871d05028ed61bf3b924990.png

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those visible weld spots are piss-poor if you ask me.  
Also, I can really see how crooked that cage is when you see it against the ridge on the forehead and the window at the bottom.

Use car-jargon... fit and finish is not really Bauer's strong point... kind of like Ford.

Good review.

Kind of a reoccurring theme with Bauer's new products, let alone what happens everywhere with new tech: The first product brought to the table will have some pretty obvious flaws to the consumer.

The whole 1S line had some issues at launch and I'm hoping that they are being addressed with the 2s.

That being said, I do like what Bauer is doing. While the other companies are doing smaller changes to materials or neat 'gimmicks' (I'm using this very liberally) like the BOA system, speed skin, knee drive system, etc etc. Bauer seems to be really trying to make larger, more drastic shakeups. It's a good thing for the industry overall.

Onto the helmet, it looks really nice and I am curious to how many changes from the C2 lid I have to the VTX have been. I know the C1 and C2's we're tester units for some newer tech in the NME masks, i'm just curious to see how many things carried over. Would love to get my hands on it to check it out myself.

15 minutes ago, Naz said:

Those visible weld spots are piss-poor if you ask me.  
Also, I can really see how crooked that cage is when you see it against the ridge on the forehead and the window at the bottom.

Use car-jargon... fit and finish is not really Bauer's strong point... kind of like Ford.

Good review.

Thanks, mask performs well. But there are a couple items aesthetic items I know people will bitch about 

12 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Kind of a reoccurring theme with Bauer's new products, let alone what happens everywhere with new tech: The first product brought to the table will have some pretty obvious flaws to the consumer.

The whole 1S line had some issues at launch and I'm hoping that they are being addressed with the 2s.

That being said, I do like what Bauer is doing. While the other companies are doing smaller changes to materials or neat 'gimmicks' (I'm using this very liberally) like the BOA system, speed skin, knee drive system, etc etc. Bauer seems to be really trying to make larger, more drastic shakeups. It's a good thing for the industry overall.

Onto the helmet, it looks really nice and I am curious to how many changes from the C2 lid I have to the VTX have been. I know the C1 and C2's we're tester units for some newer tech in the NME masks, i'm just curious to see how many things carried over. Would love to get my hands on it to check it out myself.

I don't know the C1 or C2 that well, but the VTX is nice. This is not the same level of issue as the rips on the 1S!!! 

2 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Thanks, mask performs well. But there are a couple items aesthetic items I know people will bitch about 

Yeah, and really, the cage welds are not a Bauer issue, it's their supplier.  What IS a Bauer issue is the fact that someone at Bauer would mount that cage and think "looks great" and that they also would mount a cage that obviously crooked.

Hell, even Haines underwear inspects their own product.

8 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I don't know the C1 or C2 that well, but the VTX is nice. This is not the same level of issue as the rips on the 1S!!! 

I just saw the pics now. I guess I got here before you managed to get them all up.

Definitely a different padding than the C1/C2 lids. Pretty sure the C1/C2 is still using the same ol' black foam found everywhere coupled with the black/yellow soft foam in the comfort areas (green on the VTX).

They obviously have moved away from the SAW system in the C2 and the floating head harness in the C1. The SAW system is a recoil dampening system for the cage. I've enjoyed it.

I've had the C2 since release, and Thursday was the first time I've taken a shot that gave me the ringing in the ears feeling since. Granted, my skull is as thick as they come and I'm the opposite of concussion prone but that doesn't mean I can't get them. Got a very minor one a few years ago via an elbow to the side of the head in a situation eerily similar to the one you experienced. I'm glad to see that it had zero effects on you.

That welding issue is definitely a first world problem type of issue, but I'm on board with it. If you're going to shell out the cash for a stock item, the quality control on it better be air tight.

13 minutes ago, Naz said:

Yeah, and really, the cage welds are not a Bauer issue, it's their supplier.  What IS a Bauer issue is the fact that someone at Bauer would mount that cage and think "looks great" and that they also would mount a cage that obviously crooked.

Hell, even Haines underwear inspects their own product.

I can't speak to the why, I just know it's there. I don't believe that it impacts the performance and it might even add strength, but it does look less than desirable. The mask is safe and light... focus on what it is

12 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I just saw the pics now. I guess I got here before you managed to get them all up.

Definitely a different padding than the C1/C2 lids. Pretty sure the C1/C2 is still using the same ol' black foam found everywhere coupled with the black/yellow soft foam in the comfort areas (green on the VTX).

They obviously have moved away from the SAW system in the C2 and the floating head harness in the C1. The SAW system is a recoil dampening system for the cage. I've enjoyed it.

I've had the C2 since release, and Thursday was the first time I've taken a shot that gave me the ringing in the ears feeling since. Granted, my skull is as thick as they come and I'm the opposite of concussion prone but that doesn't mean I can't get them. Got a very minor one a few years ago via an elbow to the side of the head in a situation eerily similar to the one you experienced. I'm glad to see that it had zero effects on you.

That welding issue is definitely a first world problem type of issue, but I'm on board with it. If you're going to shell out the cash for a stock item, the quality control on it better be air tight.

Yes, it's a bear to get all the photos from multiple sources uploaded 

Maybe a minor detail, but I really like the backplate. If I'm between whistles or skating on/off the ice, my mask is usually up. But I find my backplate gets to be pretty annoying in that area after a while. Im sure the foam alleviates that.

How is the comfort vs the XPM? I know mileage may vary depending on head shape, but the XPM has one of the most comfortable fits I've ever tried. Their VN foams/XRD makes for a very soft fit, but is still protective. The VTX looks a little bit different. 

I'm not a fan of stock Bauer/CCM cages to begin with but those welding spots are just brutal. 

2 hours ago, Aquilzz said:

Maybe a minor detail, but I really like the backplate. If I'm between whistles or skating on/off the ice, my mask is usually up. But I find my backplate gets to be pretty annoying in that area after a while. Im sure the foam alleviates that.

How is the comfort vs the XPM? I know mileage may vary depending on head shape, but the XPM has one of the most comfortable fits I've ever tried. Their VN foams/XRD makes for a very soft fit, but is still protective. The VTX looks a little bit different. 

I'm not a fan of stock Bauer/CCM cages to begin with but those welding spots are just brutal. 

Haven’t worn an XPM past the store. However, the XPM feels like a memory foam mattress on your head. This has a more firm bland sorta feel. My Protechsport padding, as another reference, is more like a nice support feel of some UA workout tights. 

With that said, I’m convinced this is the safest goalie helmet available at retail for anyone who fits in it. It’s amazing more companies are not doing more with the foams 

13 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

The softer pieces that contact your face? 

Yea. Here's the inside of the C2, the yellow is all gel padding. The VTX looks to be more solid piece in those areas where as, in the image, it's raised and more pronounced. The NME 8/10 seem to be similar.

201355151255550815-c2bk1.jpg

1 minute ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Yea. Here's the inside of the C2, the yellow is all gel padding. The VTX looks to be more solid piece in those areas where as, in the image, it's raised and more pronounced. The NME 8/10 seem to be similar.

201355151255550815-c2bk1.jpg

Thanks for the pic. That is way different. If that’s what @IPv6Freely likes in his NME, then I could see being concerned with how the VTX will fit / feel. Great stuff 

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

Yes, the NME8 that I wear is like this. 

image.thumb.png.fd8ffe9af94a1c092595b215e91de40e.png

The blue areas (minus the ones on the side of the head) are a low density gel padding. Extremely comfortable. And the whole reason I ripped Maltese out of my mask to put the stock padding back in. 

Great stuff, VTX will feel different for sure then! If you want a new mask though, you should look at it. I believe the overall package is a big improvement over the previous generation. 

After doing some research and realizing that CSA / HECC / Chin cup force your face further form the window, I tweaked the hell out of my strapping and chin cup.

my face now sits deep in the opening and then foam is more in contact with my skin and I get that minor suction I was referring to with the Protechsport. 

Massive fan of this mask now. I think my issue with any chip cup, not the padding of this mask 

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

After doing some research and realizing that CSA / HECC / Chin cup force your face further form the window, I tweaked the hell out of my strapping and chin cup.

my face now sits deep in the opening and then foam is more in contact with my skin and I get that minor suction I was referring to with the Protechsport. 

Massive fan of this mask now. I think my issue with any chip cup, not the padding of this mask 

Welcome to the dark side...we've got chin slings, improved peripheral vision, better comfort, and cookies.

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 3:06 PM, IPv6Freely said:

Yes, the NME8 that I wear is like this. 

The blue areas (minus the ones on the side of the head) are a low density gel padding. Extremely comfortable. And the whole reason I ripped Maltese out of my mask to put the stock padding back in. 

I can't compare because I didn't wear the NME8 but my first mask was the NME7, after 2 or 3 years the padding became a BRICK....there was no feel really.  It was my first mask, and the first I ever got painted.  I must have super glued parts of the padding 5 or 6 times lol....I've kept it for memories, put so much money into it not sure if I can sell it :) 

2 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

I can't compare because I didn't wear the NME8 but my first mask was the NME7, after 2 or 3 years the padding became a BRICK....there was no feel really.  It was my first mask, and the first I ever got painted.  I must have super glued parts of the padding 5 or 6 times lol....I've kept it for memories, put so much money into it not sure if I can sell it :) 

The NME8 improved on the NME7 padding (and shell) in a massive way. 

51 minutes ago, sebastiancp1 said:

I've got a dumb question since I'm not much of a mask guy, but does anyone know how the components of the shell for the VTX compare to a made in Canada 961 (i.e. kevlar, carbon fiber, etc.)?

Old 961 is Kevlar and fiberglass 

960 XPM is 10k composite and innegra (NXG stick) - 1400G (Bauer weight)

NME VTX is all Textreme (2S Pro stick)  - 1100G (Bauer weight)

Archived