Bauer NME VTX Pro Mask

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello fellas,  

long time viewer, new to here. 

As for shell construction, I owned the c1,  nme 10, 961 xpm, ccm gfl pro and full Kevlar Protech sport . 

The C1: (LARGE) design is innovative etc suspend tech, techstream  carbon shell, titanium cage ,saw tech and complete overhaul on traditional profile look.  Different, might not of been a good choice for the traditional consumers. Probably the lightest shell of the three Bauer line, i never removed the aluminum liner off the nme10 when i weighed them. None the least a solid mask.  The CONs: hard to replace parts; etc suspend tech liner if it snaps, rubber saw vibration dampeners , true titanium cage. Overall solid mask not sure why it never caught on. I know Bernier was wearing it for a bit.

nme 10(LARGE): solid mask was not a fan of cage ride. I have the first gen , before they had to plastic tubes that covered the top wire. either than that nme line seem to fit me the best same as the c1 . nme is innovated with wider peripheral field and flat wire bar for the csa cages. still keeping that similar profiler look. 

961xpm: (S/M) kept the same traditional look of the old itechs , and also dropping the weight . Some followers of the Profiler mask kept true to the cream foam padding leaving out the softer xpm. Bauer kept it simple csa round wire no flat option from Bauer themselves . Overall keeping the same platform  of design and incorporating newer materials. when first picking up the 960xpm was considerably heavier out of the three bauer line ups. The back plate is different , like a pro backplate . not sure of the materials but like fiberglass. was considerably heavier.

CCM 2018 gfl pro(LARGE): Feels the lightest of the three right off the bat, though  I haven't weighed it yet (2.11LB). checkered carbonfiber looks amazing and light on the inside  . Haven't ice tested it yet though.Protechsport full kevlar(FITTED): Could be the lightest of all weighin at 2.10 lb with steel cage, was same wight as a gutted  maltese internals, and titanium cage. the ccm gfl i have came also with a steel cage, but think can also retail with a titanium cage.  Michel of protech sport said he did not like carbonfiber. I have yet to have any issues with any Bauer Carbon mask "bomb proof" played div 1,2,3 beer league. 

2 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Their shells are so fucking ugly though. Good prices, however.

I think if I was going to go non-Bauer it'd be Masked Marvel based on what I've seen on here.  

You could ask him for his 961-style mask. Same composition and price as his standard shells, just a different look.

9 hours ago, Hockey_grams said:

Hello fellas,  

long time viewer, new to here. 

As for shell construction, I owned the c1,  nme 10, 961 xpm, ccm gfl pro and full Kevlar Protech sport . 

The C1 design is innovative etc suspend tech, techstream  carbon shell, titanium cage ,saw tech and complete overhaul on traditional profile look.  Different, might not of been a good choice for the traditional consumers probably shell  lightest of the three Bauer line i never removed the aluminum liner off the nme10 when i weighed them. None the least a solid mask.  The CONs: hard to replace parts; etc suspend tech liner if it snaps, rubber saw vibration dampeners , true titanium cage. Overall solid mask not sure why it never caught on. I know Bernier was wearing it for a bit.

nme 10: solid mask was not a fan of cage ride. I have the first gen , before they had to plastic tubes that covered the top wire. either than that nme line seem to fit me the best same as the c1 . nme is innovated with wider peripheral field and flat wire bar for the csa cages. still keeping that similar profiler look. 

961xpm: kept the same traditional look of the old itechs , and also dropping the weight . Some followers of the Profiler mask kept true to the cream foam padding leaving out the softer xpm. Bauer kept it simple csa round wire no flat option from Bauer themselves . Overall keeping the same platform  of design and incorporating newer materials. when first picking up the 960xpm was considerably heavier out of the three bauer line ups. The back plate is different , like a pro backplate . not sure of the materials but like fiberglass. was considerably heavier.

CCM 2018 gfl pro: Feels the lightest of the three right off the bat, though  I haven't weighed it yet. checkered carbonfiber looks amazing and light on the inside  . Haven't ice tested it yet though.

Protechsport full kevlar: Could be the lightest of all weigh in at 2.3 lb with steel cage. the ccm gfl i have came also with a steel cage, but think can also retail with a titanium cage.  Michel of protech sport said he did not like carbonfiber. I have yet to have any issues with any Bauer Carbon mask "bomb proof" played div 1,2,3 beer league. 

I know the recall on all of the certified titanium cage hurt both the nme 10 and the c1. Any thought of the cage blowing up tends to make people stay away from it

7 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

You could ask him for his 961-style mask. Same composition and price as his standard shells, just a different look.

He should probably put that on his website if he has one. Theres not a single one in his gallery. 

That said, his site sucks overall and badly needs a re-design.

2 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I know the recall on all of the certified titanium cage hurt both the nme 10 and the c1. Any thought of the cage blowing up tends to make people stay away from it

Yea, though I wouldn't use a titanium cage on a goalie mask anyway. I want a cage to bend. 

2 hours ago, Waldo said:

not sure. when i got dent on my titanium cage i replaced it right away. titanium barley give a warning.

it fractures when it's time.  I do enjoy the titanium's weight and strength, but little to no warning to the welds. 

9 minutes ago, Hockey_grams said:

not sure. when i got dent on my titanium cage i replaced it right away. titanium barley give a warning.

it fractures when it's time.  I do enjoy the titanium's weight and strength, but little to no warning to the welds. 

As you should. Cage did its job. You definitely don't want welds breaking. 

5 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

He should probably put that on his website if he has one. Theres not a single one in his gallery. 

That said, his site sucks overall and badly needs a re-design. 

I don't disagree regarding his website!

I've got some pics if you're interested - http://www.thegoalnet.com/forums/topic/89-protechsport-mask-thread/?page=14&tab=comments#comment-11331

Side by side with his standard (Theodore, in this case) mold.

18 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

I don't disagree regarding his website!

I've got some pics if you're interested - http://www.thegoalnet.com/forums/topic/89-protechsport-mask-thread/?page=14&tab=comments#comment-11331

Side by side with his standard (Theodore, in this case) mold.

Yeah that's WAY better. Do you know if it will take bauer profile cages? Or do they have to come from him? 

Yeah that's WAY better. Do you know if it will take bauer profile cages? Or do they have to come from him? 

No clue on the cages. But last time I bought cages from him, the price was really affordable, maybe $60US a pop. But don't quote me on that price, that was several years ago.

His cages are pretty reasonably priced. I would buy two and have a spare on hand. 

That being said- being based off an original iTech design, you may be able to use a Bauer replacement cage.

Are you going to paint this one if you buy?

7 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

And what is this in English?  How many layers of each?

They’re engineered composite materials. 

They will be used and constructed slightly differently than a traditional Fiberglass and Kevlar mask.

You may be able to achieve the same or similar properties with less material layers 

I also doubt Bauer also would release this info. It’s a proprietary “recipe” they developed and own the IP on 

17 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

They’re engineered composite materials. 

They will be used and constructed slightly differently than a traditional Fiberglass and Kevlar mask.

You may be able to achieve the same or similar properties with less material layers 

I also doubt Bauer also would release this info. It’s a proprietary “recipe” they developed and own the IP on 

Ah ok I see.  Thanks for clarifying.

19 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Ah ok I see.  Thanks for clarifying.

I thought about this after I typed the initial response.

its like Steel is stronger than Aluminum. Alumnimum has a better strength to weight to ratio. 

Depending on what you were trying to accomplish, the amount of each material required for the application would change 

On 5/18/2018 at 2:48 PM, bunnyman666 said:

His cages are pretty reasonably priced. I would buy two and have a spare on hand. 

That being said- being based off an original iTech design, you may be able to use a Bauer replacement cage.

Are you going to paint this one if you buy?

Of course. I'd never wear a plain mask longer than I need to :) 

Finally got to see one of these mask in person at Pro Hockey Life. Very light and love the foam/padding inside. The only stock up to a fit 3 anything has to ordering in, wanted to try the fit 5 as I have a huge head but no luck. 2  things surprised me with what they had, the cage is that thin flat wire not the cage that was on the one posted here. Just doesn't seem strong enough to hold up to a shot. I asked about the other cage and was told that is the stock one that is on there.

The price also floored me $1000 for it, I checked a couple of other retailers in Canada and it was the same price. To me that seems very steep for an off the shelf mask. I'm thinking about selling my Lundqvist Bauer 960 prostock and picking one  up but I don't know if I could afford the difference with also trying to pick up a set of 2s gloves.

3 minutes ago, Snowman30 said:

The price also floored me $1000 for it, I checked a couple of other retailers in Canada and it was the same price. To me that seems very steep for an off the shelf mask. I'm thinking about selling my Lundqvist Bauer 960 prostock and picking one  up but I don't know if I could afford the difference with also trying to pick up a set of 2s gloves.

That's just the way top of the line, off the shelf masks are now.

Untitled.thumb.png.44887b8ff75eb3da2b2c81d66bbe9b8e.png

4 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

That's just the way top of the line, off the shelf masks are now.

Untitled.thumb.png.44887b8ff75eb3da2b2c81d66bbe9b8e.png

Never really paid any attention the last few years on off-the-shelf mask as I have been buying custom ones. Just can't believe the prices for off the shelf and custom are getting close to the same (if you don't count Protechsport in there).

Archived