Bauer masks: sizing and fit

RichMan

So I can't seem to find the information I need anywhere, so I created this thread.

I just got me a Bauer 940 size Medium. My head circumference is 57.5 cm which puts me towards the end of the medium. My circumference puts me in a large as well but I don't know if the overall fit (temples, cheeks, chin, jaw) would be the same or close or better/worse. I ordered my mask online cause no local shop had one. Knowing this, trying on a large would mean returning the medium but then I can't compare properly. I HATE demographic limitations!

Now I ask, has anyone had the experience of trying on a medium and a large of the same model (940/950/960) and can offer their personal feedback? I'm aware that we're all built differently but sometimes, guidelines from the manufacturer aren't always clear or accurate and off the shelf sizing is very much generic templates open for slight margins and errors.

I'll try to post some pics of myself with the mask on.

20231113_172320.jpg

20231113_172314.jpg

20231113_172302.jpg

Edited by RichMan

I don't have the experience you're interested in. I'm just expressing my opinion. I read everywhere that the correct fit for a mask is very tight for your safety. As far as I can see, your mask fits quite tightly. if it doesn't cause you discomfort then this is what you need

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

so... Bauer is not making this easy on the people...

960 / 950 = Profile Shape

NME / 940 / 930 = NME Shape

The chin and the forehead are the giveaway

By size chart, I am a fit 3 in NME and L in Profile. However, due to head shape, I go fit 2 and M

(PS - great sweatshirt)

That would be the new 940, right?

I can't find a 940 large to try to compare. It might feel more comfortable but the temples and/or cheeks might wobble more.

This is my 3rd mask ever over the years and given my last one is a Reidic where I can heat mold the foam, the tightness of the 940 feels a little much but again, how can I compare 🙄

38 minutes ago, RichMan said:

That would be the new 940, right?

I can't find a 940 large to try to compare. It might feel more comfortable but the temples and/or cheeks might wobble more.

This is my 3rd mask ever over the years and given my last one is a Reidic where I can heat mold the foam, the tightness of the 940 feels a little much but again, how can I compare 🙄

between Fit 1,2,3 in NME shape and Profile S, M, L Bauer has 6 sizes. I would be 1 of them fits you. Maybe see if you can try on 950 somewhere?

• Like 1

This is just a bit too soon for me to comment completely, I have (old revision) NME IX fit1 and VTX fit2 and also 960XPM in S/M (I think 960XPM came in only 2 sizes, S/M and M/L?) All are with the original foams. Fit1 is never used, fit2 is used for 50ish times and 960 is used a lot before me.

I could use the fit1 NME without pain, but it is definitely snug fit for me. Then the VTX is just a tad too wide to the cheek/jaw area where I had to add 4mm thick foam under the original padding. But other than that the fit2 is very proper fit, snug enough to not rotate at all.

The 960XPM is still in bits and pieces so I cannot give any comment on the differences here yet. But if I remember this thread when I get the 960 into a form I can try it on properly, then I'll update this comment in detail for all three masks.

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

between Fit 1,2,3 in NME shape and Profile S, M, L Bauer has 6 sizes. I would be 1 of them fits you. Maybe see if you can try on 950 somewhere?

So I drove to a local shop where I remembered them having a large 950 on the shelf. Lucky for me it was still there.

In a nutshell: it obviously felt better overall BUT, there was more side to side movement and I just couldn't get the chin cup to stay in place, it kept sliding down and under my chin no matter how tight I adjusted it. 

So in conclusion, it's either I stick with the medium OR I send it back and just add more foam in my Reidic for added protection. 

Tough decision to take.

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Mask companies have responded to me on my IG posts about the back plate gap issue. This is not me doing a virtual fitting or anything and does not replace a proper in person fitting...

But the temple fit is supposed to be more important than the back plate fit

Interesting. So little wiggle as possible is the way to go. Makes sense as we rarely get shot at near the back of the head...well, maybe in pickup warm-up, but that's a different animal 😅

On 11/15/2023 at 8:12 AM, TheGoalNet said:

Mask companies have responded to me on my IG posts about the back plate gap issue. This is not me doing a virtual fitting or anything and does not replace a proper in person fitting...

But the temple fit is supposed to be more important than the back plate fit

This right here 👆

I was wearing the most recent 960 up until a little while ago. To The Goal Net's point, profile shapes are different from the NME ones (960/950 vs 940/930), but for what it's worth, I have an approx. 59cm head and was wearing a medium 960. A large had way to much side to side slop for my head. I have a generally narrow face, and the temples/cheeks were perfectly snug in the medium, while there was a slight backplate gap (barely there). For retail masks, I moved over to the CCM Axis Pro (not the XF) and had to size up to a large given the fluid inside pods, that took up more padding space. 

Now, I'm just some random guy on the internet, but the photos above look very close. I can't see how your forehead is resting against the front padding, but if it's snug up front, and along the temples, then I would probably stick with the medium. Play around with the backplate adjustments to get the fit all dialed in to what's comfortable.

Edited by Obiwanjabroni
  • Like 1

@RichMan - I'll just chime in to say that - based on your photos - doesn't look to be ill fitting at all. In fact - looks to be on the money. All that said - it ain't my melon squeezed into it. Shape (mask and melon) can most definitely play a part in the "fit" of things. I have custom masks (meaning build to a mold taken off my face) but also wanted a "Jerry Wright"-esque shaped mask just to have because of its iconicness. By that time Jerry was no longer affiliated with Itech/Bauer and wasn't back into making them himself again so I bought a Fusion MMX based on circumference measurements. In theory the fit was good but in practice wearing it would pinch north of my temples to the point it'd give me a headache to wear it too long. All this to say - the more form fitting the better but not such that it is uncomfortable. Then you should size up and take up any newly created voids with additional foam (a "custom" foam fit). If you are coming from a well used Reidic it means you've been using it a hot minute so it might take a moment to break in the foams of any new mask for it to be "comfortable" to you but it should hopefully be obvious off the hop if its instead "uncomfortable".

Hope all this rambling makes sense and is useful.

• Like 1

@Obiwanjabroni the backplate is at best I can get it to be frankly. All the elastics are at their minimum, couldn't go any less without compromise. 

@chile57 although the foam in my Reidic doesn't compress like other foams in other masks, it has most likely done its time. I can't go custom for budget reasons. I'm sure with heat, sweat and action, the mask might become unnoticeable after a while. 

Friday will be the test day. Hopefully I won't get dinged on its first outing. 

• Like 1

On 11/16/2023 at 8:46 AM, Obiwanjabroni said:

This right here 👆

I was wearing the most recent 960 up until a little while ago. To The Goal Net's point, profile shapes are different from the NME ones (960/950 vs 940/930), but for what it's worth, I have an approx. 59cm head and was wearing a medium 960. A large had way to much side to side slop for my head. I have a generally narrow face, and the temples/cheeks were perfectly snug in the medium, while there was a slight backplate gap (barely there). For retail masks, I moved over to the CCM Axis Pro (not the XF) and had to size up to a large given the fluid inside pods, that took up more padding space. 

Now, I'm just some random guy on the internet, but the photos above look very close. I can't see how your forehead is resting against the front padding, but if it's snug up front, and along the temples, then I would probably stick with the medium. Play around with the backplate adjustments to get the fit all dialed in to what's comfortable.

I had that mask too. I was previously in a CCM M in the GFL Pro and went to an L in the Axis pro.

Wore it at pick-up tonight. Overall it fit fine (forehead, temples,cheeks). Where I have issues is the mask kinda rides up a tad, putting my sight line in the middle when I'm standing and looking forward, yet when I'm in my stance, only then are my eyes aligned with the top portion of the cage as it should be no matter my position. I shouldn't have to tilt my head down to see properly through the top.

It could be a backplate issue, I'll have to figure that out somehow. 

Overall, the view is fine when all is aligned.

The chin cup elastic is another issue. I think a regular nylon strap would do better for me. It would keep my chin in place and also maybe help with the sight lines.

The weight difference between the 940 and my Reidic was not an issue.

Already got a wrister to the cage and off the chin. No issues or damage. I'd hate to get a good slap shot to the face as my lips aren't that far from the mask's edges. 

OK, 2 games in with it and I can say it's fine. Still not too comfortable with the chin cup but it's minor. Weight is barely noticeable, vision is actually good but I still might get a cat-eye for it. 

I've yet to get a solid clapper to it and quite frankly I can go without. Got a pop-up to the cage and felt nothing. 

Now I need to personalize it. Brainstorming 😊

I can only compare it to my Reidic but in perspective, the 940 is a good purchase for a tight budget.

Rich approved 👍

Edited by RichMan

• 3 weeks later...

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. Sorry to high jack this thread.

I am just getting over a concussion. Took a shot off the cage of my Sportmask Pro 3i. I was stupid and finished the game after I instantly got a headache and knew something was not right. I had post-concussion symptoms for 6 days and I’ve been slowly making my way through the return to play protocol. I am hoping to play my first game on Saturday since the concussion. I know goalie masks are NOT designed to prevent concussions and I honestly don’t think my Sportmask was at fault. I truly believe it was simply bad luck. That being said, I need my brain for work and I don’t think I can afford another concussion. My wife also encouraged me to buy a new mask. She has never encouraged me to buy a new piece of gear so I took it.

I had narrowed down my choices to the Bauer 960 and CCM XF Pro. I was able to try the Bauer on in store and actually found the NME One fit better (in a medium). The medium 960 was too narrow in the temple and the large felt too long even tightening up the elastic chin cup. It also felt a tiny bit wide in the cheeks. I ended up picking up the NME in a medium.

I was not able to try on the CCM in my city so I bought a large one online. It was delivered today. I tried it on as soon as it was delivered. The foams were cold and it initially felt way too narrow. As the Nest Tech foam warmed up, the mask actually fits quite well. Both masks fit around the same but they feel different (if that makes sense). I will be returning one. I like the idea of the Nest Tech. The hesitation I have is that it’s a new technology not yet used in a goalie mask. I’m sure CCM did their due diligence and tested the foam. I understand it’s different that than foam used in the Tacks X helmet, which was atrocious in the Virginia Tech testing. 

I know there are people here that know a lot more about mask technology and how they should fit. These are the 2 masks in question. 

IMG_4038.jpeg

IMG_4044.jpeg

IMG_4047.jpeg

IMG_4018.jpeg

IMG_4035.jpeg

IMG_4037.jpeg

@bsuge04 the CCM definitely covers more ground/space or whatever word you want to use. That's one thing i noticed is how Bauers are cut short at tge back. My Reidic extends further back for sure.

The XF foam does look interesting but I wonder how the weight of impact spreads. It looks like the inside of a sponge with all the pockets. Maybe the energy distribution is better compared to the traditional foams.

I think we have a mask builder or 2 lurking on this platform who could better answer.

6 hours ago, bsuge04 said:

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. Sorry to high jack this thread.

I am just getting over a concussion. Took a shot off the cage of my Sportmask Pro 3i. I was stupid and finished the game after I instantly got a headache and knew something was not right. I had post-concussion symptoms for 6 days and I’ve been slowly making my way through the return to play protocol. I am hoping to play my first game on Saturday since the concussion. I know goalie masks are NOT designed to prevent concussions and I honestly don’t think my Sportmask was at fault. I truly believe it was simply bad luck. That being said, I need my brain for work and I don’t think I can afford another concussion. My wife also encouraged me to buy a new mask. She has never encouraged me to buy a new piece of gear so I took it.

I had narrowed down my choices to the Bauer 960 and CCM XF Pro. I was able to try the Bauer on in store and actually found the NME One fit better (in a medium). The medium 960 was too narrow in the temple and the large felt too long even tightening up the elastic chin cup. It also felt a tiny bit wide in the cheeks. I ended up picking up the NME in a medium.

I was not able to try on the CCM in my city so I bought a large one online. It was delivered today. I tried it on as soon as it was delivered. The foams were cold and it initially felt way too narrow. As the Nest Tech foam warmed up, the mask actually fits quite well. Both masks fit around the same but they feel different (if that makes sense). I will be returning one. I like the idea of the Nest Tech. The hesitation I have is that it’s a new technology not yet used in a goalie mask. I’m sure CCM did their due diligence and tested the foam. I understand it’s different that than foam used in the Tacks X helmet, which was atrocious in the Virginia Tech testing. 

I know there are people here that know a lot more about mask technology and how they should fit. These are the 2 masks in question. 

IMG_4038.jpeg

IMG_4044.jpeg

IMG_4047.jpeg

IMG_4018.jpeg

IMG_4035.jpeg

IMG_4037.jpeg

I have a NMEone that I absolutely love it’s super comfortable to play in, and have no problems with protection in it. Every once in a while on a really good hard shot my head will ring a little, but it only lasts about a minute then I’m back to normal and every mask I have ever had does the same thing but lasts a lot longer so I kinda expect it. But overall I think it’s a really great mask, and also one of my buddies has one as well and he really likes it to. 

@bsuge04 in my opinion both look to fit adequately so long as you aren't experiencing any pinch points. I might suggest you try both on with your chest protector as - to me - it looks like the CCM comes down further considerably both at the ears and on the chin drop and therefore might catch on things as you move. 

Edited by chile57

10 hours ago, chile57 said:

@bsuge04 in my opinion both look to fit adequately so long as you aren't experiencing any pinch points. I might suggest you try both on with your chest protector as - to me - it looks like the CCM comes down further considerably both at the ears and on the chin drop and therefore might catch on things as you move. 

After I posted this, that’s exactly what I did. You are exactly right that the mask extends further down the chin and behind the ears. Maybe it’s designed that way for more protection but it was catching on my shoulder floaters when I was looking to the sides and it was harder to look down. I preferred the feel of the Bauer with my chesty so I kept that and I sent the CCM back. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, bsuge04 said:

After I posted this, that’s exactly what I did. You are exactly right that the mask extends further down the chin and behind the ears. Maybe it’s designed that way for more protection but it was catching on my shoulder floaters when I was looking to the sides and it was harder to look down. I preferred the feel of the Bauer with my chesty so I kept that and I sent the CCM back. 

Glad you found something suitable for you @bsuge04 and... welcome to the board - glad you took the plunge to post.

• 2 months later...
On 12/14/2023 at 4:50 PM, bsuge04 said:

Great post!  The photos were really helpful and I think you chose well. 

In case this helps anyone else, I also wear a size Medium SportMask Pro 3i and found the  medium size Bauer NME to be a great fit. If I was forced to go with a Bauer 960 I would have needed a size large too. 

For now I’m very happy with the Pro 3i, mostly because of the great fit but also the use of strong and vibe-dampening innegra fiber, and great vision. So far, it’s also been very protective for me. 

Very sorry you got a concussion. I had one long ago from a player impact and it took a while to recover. Definitely take your time coming back. A few weeks lost now while recovering is nothing compared to the complications you can suffer from another hit if you’re not fully healed. It can last months or years.