ProLaces/Monster HAL Strap

Max Tanzi

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Max Tanzi said:

so I am thinking of purchasing a set of pro laces or monster hals. @TheGoalNeti know that youve had experience with pro laces, but have you tried monster hals? 

I haven’t. I’ve had other bad experiences ordering through Monster so I try to avoid using them. Pro Laces Armour are perfect, so I don’t have a reason to look at Monster 

12 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I haven’t. I’ve had other bad experiences ordering through Monster so I try to avoid using them. Pro Laces Armour are perfect, so I don’t have a reason to look at Monster 

what else did you try to order from monster?

22 minutes ago, Max Tanzi said:

ah, did they just not perform well, or was there an issue purchasing them?

Short summary is both. There’s a whole Monster thread you can view. I was lost as a customer, but it’s been a couple years. Maybe things have changed? 

Honestly, don’t have anything negative to say about the Armour model of Pro Laces. Purchase those and don’t beat this one to death, you are just wasting time. 

They’re very similar designs and I can’t see the Hal’s doing anything epically better than Pro Laces. 

17 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Short summary is both. There’s a whole Monster thread you can view. I was lost as a customer, but it’s been a couple years. Maybe things have changed? 

Honestly, don’t have anything negative to say about the Armour model of Pro Laces. Purchase those and don’t beat this one to death, you are just wasting time. 

They’re very similar designs and I can’t see the Hal’s doing anything epically better than Pro Laces. 

ah. where is the monster thread?

I've never used Monster, so I can't say anything about them either way, but I have had good experiences with FIX MY GEAR.  Offers some similar products/services as monster for less $.  I picked up a pair of their shock toe pro on amazon for like $15.  They work fine and I was able to swap out the shock cord for something thinner, I prefer 1/8".  I'm thinking of trying their knee guards and they have a Brian's-like smart toe strap I might try as well.

ProLaces. I've had both and jut prefer them. I found the shock cord and general workmanship on the ProLaces to be a higher grade.

When I had my Graf skates (which attach the cowling to the boot via screws) the ProLaces Armour would have been beneficial with the excessive wear on the shock cord at the screwhead. But having switched to cowlingless skates now I don't see the need for the Armour version as I don't see the same wear. Can't go wrong w/ the Armour though.

I love the monster HAL straps but it looks like ProLaces is a better version of the same thing. Nash also makes a set.

That said, the Monster RYNO straps are what I use. I haven't seen anyone else make anything like them so that's what I'm sticking with. I have a set of the new version on order, too. 

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

I love the monster HAL straps but it looks like ProLaces is a better version of the same thing. Nash also makes a set.

That said, the Monster RYNO straps are what I use. I haven't seen anyone else make anything like them so that's what I'm sticking with. I have a set of the new version on order, too. 

Didn’t you look at a custom set from PAW? What happened there?

5 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Did you post pics of the new ones yet? What changed?

Of the new Monster ones? I don't have them yet.

Copy/paste from their site regarding the re-design (yes it formatted badly):

THE ALL NEW PRO BRIDGE IS HERE! WE'VE REDESIGNED OUR POPULAR QUICK CONNECT TOE BRIDGE KIT AND ADDED NEW FEATURES TO ENHANCE PERFORMANCE, SAFETY, AND STYLE. HERE ARE SOME OF THE NEW FEATURES!

NEW TOE CONNECTOR DESIGN IS NOW WRAPPED IN JENPRO TO ADD MORE COLOR TO YOUR SETUP. THE NEW LOW PROFILE VELCRO IS SUPER STICKY AND CREATES AN INCREDIBLY STRONG BOND BETWEEN THE TOE BRIDGE AND TOE CONNECTOR. WE'VE ALSO SEWN IN THE VELCRO FOR ADDED SECURITY. 
RTlBQkE4NzFEQzVDMDFGRDlCRjA6ZDQ5NzY5MTYxOTRjMDA4NzdlZjQ5NGUzMjE0ZTk5NGM6Ojo6OjA=

THE ALL NEW SKATE TABS HAVE BEEN REENGINEERED TO BE SIMPLER AND MORE DURABLE. WE'VE ELIMINATED THE METAL GROMMETS AND ARE NOW USING JENPRO FOR A CLEANER AND MORE TROUBLE FREE CONNECTION TO YOUR SKATES. 
RTlBQkE4NzFEQzVDMDFGRDlCRjA6M2NlOGU0MzEwNmYzZmQ3ZDAxMjBiZDA4YmY3OTM4ZTk6Ojo6OjA=

ONE OF THE MOST SIGNIFICANT DESIGN CHANGES IS THE SIZE OF THE TOE BRIDGE. IT NOW HAS A THINNER PROFILE TO MATCH THE SIZE OF THE TOE CONNECTOR. 

RTlBQkE4NzFEQzVDMDFGRDlCRjA6YTlmODM4NDgxN2Q5MWVkOTAxMzlhYmFhZTQ1ZTAxODM6Ojo6OjA=

WE'VE ADDED A THIN PLASTIC INSERT TO THE BASE OF THE TOE BRIDGE TO ADD STIFFNESS AND DURABILITY. THERE  ARE 3 TOE BRIDGE SIZES AVAILABLE BASED UPON THE SPACING OF YOUR PADS' TOE BRIDGE SCREWS. PLEASE MEASURE YOUR PADS AND CHOOSE THE APPROPRIATE OPTION. * MEASURE THE DISTANCE FROM THE CENTER POINTS ON THE SCREW HOLES.

RTlBQkE4NzFEQzVDMDFGRDlCRjA6MTA5ZTViN2FiNjJhM2Y3ZTg5ZDZkNGQ3NzM1MGUzNTU6Ojo6OjA=

INCLUDED IN THE KIT

2) TOE BRIDGES
2) TOE CONNECTORS
2) 32 INCH MIL SPEC SHOCK CORD
4) SKATE CONNECTORS

I had two issues with mine. First, the velcro wasn't stitched on so its starting to peel off (after 2+ years, so thats not actually too bad) and also that the plastic piece didn't have jenpro over it so you only had white as your option, which I didn't like the look of with my black pads and skates. 

I bought both the Monster HALs and the Pro Laces. The Pro Laces definitely felt more sturdy and higher quality, but I never used them - I didn't want to replace the toe bridge of my old Passau pads.

I used the Monster HALs because I could keep the stock Passau toe bridge in place and just replace the lace with the HAL cords/straps. Used the HALs for about 10 months before I moved to a set of Warrior GT pads, but the cord itself was holding up OK, though the Jenpro strap itself was getting beat up.

I've used both HAL straps and Pro Laces Armour. 

The HAL straps started wearing down after a while. Both the shock cord was fraying and the jenpro attachment was peeling. They also took 6 weeks to get in (for a sweat band and a non-custom white strap)

I have not had the Pro Laces long enough to comment on durability, but I can assume the skate lace will better protect it and the Jenpro looks to be way better quality. The cord also doesn't have as much give, which is a good thing.

Michel of Pro Laces is also a fantastic guy to deal with. My order got lost in the mail and sent back to him and he informed me every step of the way. 

The only negative I have is that I'm not the biggest fan of the attachment. I had to use locktite and a piece of clear tape in order to keep the screws secure and not damage my toe caps.

7 minutes ago, Aquilzz said:

I've used both HAL straps and Pro Laces Armour. 

The HAL straps started wearing down after a while. Both the shock cord was fraying and the jenpro attachment was peeling. They also took 6 weeks to get in (for a sweat band and a non-custom white strap)

I have not had the Pro Laces long enough to comment on durability, but I can assume the skate lace will better protect it and the Jenpro looks to be way better quality. The cord also doesn't have as much give, which is a good thing.

Michel of Pro Laces is also a fantastic guy to deal with. My order got lost in the mail and sent back to him and he informed me every step of the way. 

The only negative I have is that I'm not the biggest fan of the attachment. I had to use locktite and a piece of clear tape in order to keep the screws secure and not damage my toe caps.

I'd definitely be using something other than screws if I went that route. 

12 minutes ago, Aquilzz said:

Try the @TheGoalNet TGN Spec attachment method... skate lace (I used black waxed.) Holds tight very well and no damage to toe caps... 

1132315882_ProLaces04.jpg.943e56b4831f47eb043aa749e249d638.jpg1895096775_ProLaces05.jpg.1a38e0b55014c43c6a26b94b19cfdad2.jpg922860561_ProLaces06.jpg.3187230d1300e4df411863e011981779.jpg259206540_ProLaces07.jpg.538761dcf594b0fea0474cb30d6f6206.jpg

6 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

Try the @TheGoalNet TGN Spec attachment method... skate lace (I used black waxed.) Holds tight very well and no damage to toe caps... 

1132315882_ProLaces04.jpg.943e56b4831f47eb043aa749e249d638.jpg1895096775_ProLaces05.jpg.1a38e0b55014c43c6a26b94b19cfdad2.jpg922860561_ProLaces06.jpg.3187230d1300e4df411863e011981779.jpg259206540_ProLaces07.jpg.538761dcf594b0fea0474cb30d6f6206.jpg

I tried this with a waxed skate lace as well but my knots are terrible and it loosened up, causing the pad not to rotate back into position after a butterfly ?

How long has your knot stayed? And how do you tie it to be so secure?

Archived