Pre-Curved Pads

indykrap

Hey all,

I've been curious about how different companies/models offer different degrees of pre-curve in their pads, and what to look for. As a 35 year old with a janky left hip flexor, I'm always looking for a little extra advantage in this regard. For the purposes of this thread, I'm mostly wondering about stock/off the shelf products, as custom is a different ballgame altogether. I've heard Brian's tends to be a bit more curved and saw Dudo's review of the Iconiks having almost a "Z-shape", which sounds intriguing.

Anyone have a sense of how different brands/models compare? I have my Warrior G5s that were pretty straight at first, but with some manipulation/profile lock they've curved quite nicely.

IMG_6827.jpeg

Edited by indykrap
  • Like 1

Aggressive pre-curve is slowly being phased out from most pads. 

Brians has the "Z" shape, which is different as you get a more aggressive bend before and after the knee. It does the same job. 

For a more classic "s" shape curve, you'll be wanting to look into the V10 Pro (not Pro Carbon), 3X, and Hyperlite 2. 

Bauer's line up goes from "S" shape at it's softest (Hyperlite/3X) and gets straighter as you go up in stiffness. 

Vaughn has recently beefed up the V10 pro Carbon thighrise, so getting the S curve will be tougher, but the senior level pad won't have the same carbon infused rigidity and has a more classic profile as well. 

Capture.JPG

• Like 3

Just now, indykrap said:

This is super helpful - thanks @coopaloop1234! Makes me think that Brian's might be the way to go for a a future set.

Brian's is still king of custom, so if the off the shelf pads aren't doing it for you, you can easily get them to build a more suited pad. 

Not really going to get that from the other guys unless you're talented. 

Unfortunately, none of us meet that threshold lol 

2 hours ago, indykrap said:

Hey all,

I've been curious about how different companies/models offer different degrees of pre-curve in their pads, and what to look for. As a 35 year old with a janky left hip flexor, I'm always looking for a little extra advantage in this regard. For the purposes of this thread, I'm mostly wondering about stock/off the shelf products, as custom is a different ballgame altogether. I've heard Brian's tends to be a bit more curved and saw Dudo's review of the Iconiks having almost a "Z-shape", which sounds intriguing.

Anyone have a sense of how different brands/models compare? I have my Warrior G5s that were pretty straight at first, but with some manipulation/profile lock they've curved quite nicely.

IMG_6827.jpeg

Curious about this as well. I'm 40 and have a couple labral injuries, so my hip rotation is a bit more limited. However, I still play a fairly modern game and would like a stiff pad/stiff thigh rise, hot rebounds, no torsion etc but still want that S or Z style shape so that the thigh rises meet in the butterfly. I'm not a fan of relying on my knee blocks to make the save and just feel more confident with the thighs touching both in making the save but also in case of deflections or active stick work. 

Is this just not a possible combination for a pad, only available through custom or is there a retail pad I should consider with these preferences in mind?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ryan W said:

Curious about this as well. I'm 40 and have a couple labral injuries, so my hip rotation is a bit more limited. However, I still play a fairly modern game and would like a stiff pad/stiff thigh rise, hot rebounds, no torsion etc but still want that S or Z style shape so that the thigh rises meet in the butterfly. I'm not a fan of relying on my knee blocks to make the save and just feel more confident with the thighs touching both in making the save but also in case of deflections or active stick work. 

Is this just not a possible combination for a pad, only available through custom or is there a retail pad I should consider with these preferences in mind?

Sounds like you want a Brians Optik3. Stiff pad with a very aggressive Z curve shape off the shelf. 

18 minutes ago, Toobs said:

Sounds like you want a Brians Optik3. Stiff pad with a very aggressive Z curve shape off the shelf. 

Other than it being the ugliest graphic of any brand (imo of course) and me disliking the virtual lack of an outer roll, maybe that would be best. Any idea if the iconik would be good? It seems to have a fairly aggressive Z shape. Or is it a softer type of pad on top of an aggressive pre curve?

55 minutes ago, Ryan W said:

Other than it being the ugliest graphic of any brand (imo of course) and me disliking the virtual lack of an outer roll, maybe that would be best. Any idea if the iconik would be good? It seems to have a fairly aggressive Z shape. Or is it a softer type of pad on top of an aggressive pre curve?

I think you and I are looking for the exact same thing, haha. I just checked out the Iconiks and Optiks in store and think it’s a good meet for that need. The Iconiks had the “flex” profile but that was mostly in the boot. Thigh was nice and stiff but with a noticeable curve in. 

edit just to say - also agreed that the Optik3 graphic is roooooooof haha

Edited by indykrap

1 hour ago, Ryan W said:

So you can get the Iconik in a stiff profile which offers a similar Z curve to the optik, but it’s still a softer pad and will have more torsional flex. Also, be aware that most store stock will be in the flex profile, as that’s the stock option and is much softer (still has a decently stiff thigh though) and won’t have as aggressive of a Z curve. You can see comparison pics of the two profiles in the Iconik thread on here.

If you go custom, you can get whatever graphic you want on the optiks too.

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Just curious - do Brian's mid-range line not have as aggressive of a pre-curve? Comparing Optik x3 (mid-range) to Optik3 (top line) online and it seems pretty noticeable, but it's just online photos so I'm not sure.

the first pads with the primo are the Optik3s and the white are not.

Capture2.JPG

Capture.JPG

Edited by indykrap

51 minutes ago, indykrap said:

Just curious - do Brian's mid-range line not have as aggressive of a pre-curve? Comparing Optik x3 (mid-range) to Optik3 (top line) online and it seems pretty noticeable, but it's just online photos so I'm not sure.

the first pads with the primo are the Optik3s and the white are not.

Capture2.JPG

Capture.JPG

Here's a good side by side of an Iconik pad with a stiffer core and a stock core. 

Brians is going a bit in the opposite direction than most and applying a more aggressive curve to their stiffer pads and having a straighter profile for their more flexible pads. 

I'm going to make an assumption and say it's the same concept applied between the Optik 3 and the x3's. 

Don't you want above knee curve and not below knee to close the five hole if Butterfly is narrow?

I couldn't close my five with my R/GT pads before I sent them to Kova Repairs to add some above knee curve and then it started to work for me. Now only half of the shot go in anymore. Or something like that, can't really keep up on counting them 😅

• Like 2

6 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Here's a good side by side of an Iconik pad with a stiffer core and a stock core. 

Brians is going a bit in the opposite direction than most and applying a more aggressive curve to their stiffer pads and having a straighter profile for their more flexible pads. 

I'm going to make an assumption and say it's the same concept applied between the Optik 3 and the x3's. 

Makes sense. I really really like the idea of a stiff pad with that aggressive curve, so that’s definitely helpful to start narrowing down options.