Some Basic/Newbie Questions About My Gear

CelestialBurden

So I started playing less than a year ago and I’ve been tucking in my chest protector most of that time. My pants have an (removable) internal belt so it’s a little bit awkward and the chest protector pops out sometimes. I recently tried removing the internal belt to see if that helped, but I found that the front flap on the pants would not stay up as a result and completely flopped forward. Is it supposed to go under the chest protector even though I'm tucking? Or is it supposed to go on top of the chest protector so that every part of the pants is outside of your chest protector? If so, how do you keep the front flap from flopping over?

Most goalie pants I've seen have some sort of lacing on the front, but mine don't. However, I did just discover there are loops on the front of the pants. I assume this is for skate lace and somehow integrating this with the chest protector to hold up the flap and connect the chesty and pants, but I’m not sure how to tie it all up. Does anyone have any pictures of how they’ve done it?

The chesty has two types of loops on the belly. How do you integrate the thicker loop and thinner loops on the front of the chest protector? Do those tie into the pants? Or to my jock, which also has thin loops on the top? Also, what are the loops on the inside of the chest protector for?

Lastly, I’ve been using Bauer suspenders to try to keep everything in place and prevent my chest protector from popping out of the pants, especially in the front, but I feel like the extra cloth just hangs off an awkward way and maybe I have set them up incorrectly. Is this how they should look or is there some better way to do it?

I've attached pictures of everything mentioned above with arrows to make it easy. Thanks a lot!

IMG_7825.jpg

IMG_7828.jpg

IMG_7827.jpg

IMG_7826.jpg

IMG_7829.jpg

• Like 2

Welcome to the union!

I think it will involve trial and error until you find what makes you feel best. I dont know that you want your cup affixed to anything. Last thing you want is for your pants or chest pad to move in a weird way, which will happen eventually, leaving your boys unprotected. Good luck!

Yeh man, pretty much it. Trial and error. I tried tucking, didn’t like it. I tried my braces over my shoulder floaters, didn’t like it 🤣. Just play around, try putting certain straps in different combinations of your chesty’s loops to find the right fit! Enjoy dude, play as much as you can! 

(sure wish I could! 😅)

• Like 1

First - welcome aboard the board @CelestialBurden.

One key thing to note here is that I believe you are rocking Warrior chesty and pants and they are indeed designed to work in accordance with one another with corresponding loops and whatnot (I just don't own either piece and therefore cannot speak to their intended integration). Hopefully a dedicated Warrior user will chime in here with some guidance.

Edited by chile57

having the same setup, i grab some elastic and tie it between the inside loops of the Chest unit.  on the pant i add 2 mountain cabrier clips on the loops and hoop it in. 

on the back mcgever the back with a clip and elastic and clip to pants loop on back.  tuck is on the outside.

most goalies back in the day cut out the front piece in front of the pants, the chest is there..

Thanks everyone! I ended up trying a half-tuck setup and it's working nicely so far.

Basically I tighten the inner belt, tuck the sides of the chest protector into the pants, and then the belly/front hangs over the flap of the pants. I've taken some shoelace and tied the front of the pants in the jock area to the big loop on the center of the belly. I think this helps keep it centered, although I still have to push the chesty back to center a bit sometimes as it gets rotated.

I also use suspenders sort of next to/under the floaters. This keeps the chesty down.

This half-tuck has been great in terms of the chesty not popping out of the pants though. I should try untucked again, but it felt too loosey goosey before.

It makes sense other goalies might cut out the flap on the front of the pants. Now that the chest belly is over the flap, though, I don't find it uncomfortable and don't mind the extra layer of padding.

Edited by CelestialBurden

On 2/7/2024 at 10:28 PM, creasecollector said:

Same. I tried tucking once and it just didn't feel right for me. I prefer the feeling of having more freedom / movement.

Does your chest protector still feel tight enough if you don't tuck? Do you have to adjust it a lot from rotating? I just find that tucking and suspenders help keep it in place better without any movement restriction.

3 hours ago, CelestialBurden said:

Does your chest protector still feel tight enough if you don't tuck? Do you have to adjust it a lot from rotating? I just find that tucking and suspenders help keep it in place better without any movement restriction.

I don't tuck or put suspenders over my C/A. 

The purpose of it is the freedom of movement and not being locked in. It's done to get the exact opposite feeling you're after. 

There's no real resetting of the unit to get it back in place, it does it on it's own. I've tucked twice, didn't like it. I've also just tied down my C/A to my pants, didn't like it either. Felt like I lost a lot of freedom of movement that comes with twisting at the torso as once you connect the two portions, you remove the independent movements that come with not tucking/tying. 

I really hate the feeling of any of my gear counteracting or impeding my movements. I don't tuck, I wear slimmer pants, I don't use gloves with wrist straps or large cuffs, and I strap behind my knee. 

I want everything to act on it's own. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I don't tuck or put suspenders over my C/A. 

The purpose of it is the freedom of movement and not being locked in. It's done to get the exact opposite feeling you're after. 

There's no real resetting of the unit to get it back in place, it does it on it's own. I've tucked twice, didn't like it. I've also just tied down my C/A to my pants, didn't like it either. Felt like I lost a lot of freedom of movement that comes with twisting at the torso as once you connect the two portions, you remove the independent movements that come with not tucking/tying. 

I really hate the feeling of any of my gear counteracting or impeding my movements. I don't tuck, I wear slimmer pants, I don't use gloves with wrist straps or large cuffs, and I strap behind my knee. 

I want everything to act on it's own. 

Thanks for the details. Interesting to hear about the differing preferences.

What do you mean about strapping behind your knee? The leg pad knee strap? I've seen normal horizontal strapping behind the knee and then the loose strapping down to the calf area. I tried that but again, felt too loose and like my leg pad was flopping all around.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2024 at 9:58 AM, CelestialBurden said:

I find it is tight enough yes and does not rotate. 

2 hours ago, CelestialBurden said:

Thanks for the details. Interesting to hear about the differing preferences.

What do you mean about strapping behind your knee? The leg pad knee strap? I've seen normal horizontal strapping behind the knee and then the loose strapping down to the calf area. I tried that but again, felt too loose and like my leg pad was flopping all around.

Yea, down to the calf. 

With different strapping you can tighten it up, but it will be looser. 

After doing that for the first time, I could never go back to behind the knee due to the freedom. 

Definitely fits in with my desire for my gear to not feel impeding.