Getting Beat - Stick Side Armpit

MTH

In the past few months, I've been scored on mostly through my armpit on stick side. 

I lost like 70 pounds in the past year - so I'm a little less wider now.

Would changing sticks help? I've had straight up misses with my blocker that go through. I've had a bunch hit me in the thigh and skip on through too. I obviously need to keep my elbow tighter. We don't practice, so it's hard to break habits.

Thought a shorter paddle would force me to keep my arm out and tighter to my side?

I use a 26" bauer now.

I had a 27" True I used for a while and thought I did better with. But it seems like a taller paddle would put my blocker higher and push my arm up more. Maybe I'm nuts?

I switched blockers too. You know, its the gear's fault.

Edited by MTH
  • Like 1

Nick dahan on youtube emphasizes that movement a lot in his videos: when dropping into your butterfly to make a glove or blocker save, bring your chest. Lean into it so youre closing gaps and not extending your arms.

Its a difficult movement for me to get into but it might help your struggles.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MTH said:

In the past few months, I've been scored on mostly through my armpit on stick side. 

I lost like 70 pounds in the past year - so I'm a little less wider now.

Would changing sticks help? I've had straight up misses with my blocker that go through. I've had a bunch hit me in the thigh and skip on through too. I obviously need to keep my elbow tighter. We don't practice, so it's hard to break habits.

Thought a shorter paddle would force me to keep my arm out and tighter to my side?

I use a 26" bauer now.

I had a 27" True I used for a while and thought I did better with. But it seems like a taller paddle would put my blocker higher and push my arm up more. Maybe I'm nuts?

I switched blockers too. You know, its the gear's fault.

A shorter stick would definitely help I used to use a 26'' bauer and would get beat there all the time then thatcarguy got me to switch to a 24" and it got a lot better 

Then this past season my goalie partner was using a 27'' and he would get lit up in the same spot so I gave him one of my 24'' to use and now he doesn't get scored on there as much anymore 

Obviously there will still be one that will squeak though every once and awhile but it is a lot better with a shorter stick

Edited by Hockey34

Good advice above. You might want to be sure about what's leading to the hole there before changing your stick. You've been around for a long time. Last thing you want is fix one problem and create another. If it were me, I would focus on the technique the fellas above have emphasized and see whether that resolves the problem before changing your stick. I've always used a short paddle but when I tried longer ones, they almost always affected my balance and my stance some. 

• Like 1

Took these pics the other day and thought about this thread and thought it’d be a good idea to post as a visual for how the stick interacts with 6 hole for me. The true is about 25.5-26 (pro stock with sloped shoulder so hard to tell) and the warrior is a 25(equates to 24 with warrior measurement)

580A9C49-AFE1-4589-9A98-1A15C9BE90CD.thumb.png.5bab69cfa9b4b07c03a4484b499aa613.png0284A5B6-3559-41A7-BF3F-394250E0A0CF.thumb.png.4ec31dc462f10b9f591c76cb533c2583.pngF1247056-5F26-4928-B54A-B2907C3558A3.thumb.png.38b6d2c6c3d4c7fe20d17feaf83eb4f4.pngD5D2A890-82B5-4CD3-8511-0A5A0ADD5ED1.thumb.png.46df9321a35bd3e75f2cc14d642e6e08.png

• Like 4

I skated monday night in a small rink 3v3 game (with my 17 year old son). Took a million shots, so I worked on the technique of leaning into it more. I also concentrated on keeping my elbow tighter. Way better night. Although most shooters were younger guys who could really play.

My struggles are in the 40+ C league games. 

Odd as this sounds to non-goalies, the slower shots are harder most times to stop. You have your reactive save mode but I can't use that. Instead I have to think about making a save. Maybe why I've been reaching for shots stick side.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, MTH said:

Odd as this sounds to non-goalies, the slower shots are harder most times to stop. You have your reactive save mode but I can't use that. Instead I have to think about making a save. Maybe why I've been reaching for shots stick side.

Nothing is worse than overplaying shots because the skater doesn't have a clue what he's doing. 

I just won't pick up low division games because I know that I'll be frustrated at the overall play and me letting in shitty goals. It's inevitable. 

• Like 6

On 3/30/2024 at 8:44 PM, pfeiffjay54 said:

Took these pics the other day and thought about this thread and thought it’d be a good idea to post as a visual for how the stick interacts with 6 hole for me. The true is about 25.5-26 (pro stock with sloped shoulder so hard to tell) and the warrior is a 25(equates to 24 with warrior measurement)

One thing to note with the Warrior models is the lie of the stick. 

They are generally a little more upright (closer to a true "L" shape) where the blade meets the paddle.  I haven't noticed this with other manufacturers. This may be why the toe of your blade is off the ice in both stance and butterfly

The True looks like a better fit for you.  With the Warrior in the butterfly, your right elbow and blocker look a little tucked back - and it looks tough to get your entire blade on the ice

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MTH said:

I skated monday night in a small rink 3v3 game (with my 17 year old son). Took a million shots, so I worked on the technique of leaning into it more. I also concentrated on keeping my elbow tighter. Way better night. Although most shooters were younger guys who could really play.

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Nothing is worse than overplaying shots because the skater doesn't have a clue what he's doing. 

I just won't pick up low division games because I know that I'll be frustrated at the overall play and me letting in shitty goals. It's inevitable. 

IMO most of it is the subtle reads we get off the player and their release mechanics

I can read off better shooters due to their body mechanics (hands/hips/shoulders).  Shot may come faster, but the body language doesn't lie.

With lower talent levels, sometimes the guy is just trying to roof it bar down, but their mechanics might indicate they're shooting it into the bench

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

IMO most of it is the subtle reads we get off the player and their release mechanics

I can read off better shooters due to their body mechanics (hands/hips/shoulders).  Shot may come faster, but the body language doesn't lie.

With lower talent levels, sometimes the guy is just trying to roof it bar down, but their mechanics might indicate they're shooting it into the bench

Plus pucks travel in a straight line, instead of a damn bell curve. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 4/3/2024 at 6:31 PM, Chenner29 said:

One thing to note with the Warrior models is the lie of the stick. 

They are generally a little more upright (closer to a true "L" shape) where the blade meets the paddle.  I haven't noticed this with other manufacturers. This may be why the toe of your blade is off the ice in both stance and butterfly

The True looks like a better fit for you.  With the Warrior in the butterfly, your right elbow and blocker look a little tucked back - and it looks tough to get your entire blade on the ice

Maybe that’s what felt weird to me with the true. Inch or two bigger paddle and it still felt pretty comfortable in butterfly. I noticed my blocker angle was different too I wonder if that was something I might’ve changed subconsciously because of the stick, or playing with positioning on camera. That’s a great call out though I never noticed that before. Maybe why I get more power with my warrior vs more loft with the true because of the lie change

Edited by pfeiffjay54

@MTH, doesnt sound odd at all and @coopaloop1234 is right in my experience. Better players means harder and more accurate shots but the shot is "cleaner". Plus, who wants 250 lbs Johnny Superstar who cant skate tumbling into you?

Glad to hear that you may have resolved your issue.

Edited by Fullright
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, pfeiffjay54 said:

Maybe that’s what gel weird to me with the true. Inch or two bigger paddle and it still felt pretty comfortable in butterfly. I noticed my blocker angle was different too I wonder if that was something I might’ve changed subconsciously because of the stick, or playing with positioning on camera. That’s a great call out though I never noticed that before. Maybe why I get more power with my warrior vs more loft with the true because of the lie change

Like & subscribe for more goaltending tips

• Haha 2

On 4/3/2024 at 6:38 PM, Chenner29 said:

This is funny.

Add in the d men who will whiff on an easy puck, tip other ones, skate into you, etc. 

But they're in C league where they belong and this is just what happens. They feel bad and want to apologize to you. So you just smile and say "It's my bad, I should have had the shot" ...since we're nice dudes.

• Like 3