Canucks Finally Bringing Back the Flying Skate

SaveByRichter35

22 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

They need to bring back the “V” sweaters!

No. ?

22 minutes ago, TitanG said:

I believe this will just be for their third jersey. According to their site it’s for “select games”: http://contests.canucks.com/classicjerseyvote/

It'll be our third jerseys for the 2019-2020 season. So they'll use them as a promotional piece on bigger games I bet.

17 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Its a start.

Damn right. Grew up with that Jersey, the first iteration of the Orca was god awful. The current jersey aint bad, but gimme that ol' noodle skate.

Nice, I've had a feeling we'd be seeing this one soon... there seemed to be a noticeable uptick in appreciation for it the last few years.

In truth, I was a huge fan of the blue and green color scheme when they brought it back. They look great together, and I've always felt green is a criminally underused color in the NHL. But I was a little surprised at how short the honeymoon was... their jerseys are still fine looking, but I've never been a fan of the orca logo, and the all-white rendition looks pretty flat on the jersey (especially when other teams' logos look so rich with the way Adidas approached logos). Don't even get me started on the big VANCOUVER arching over the logo... overall, it just didn't take long for the current ones to lose their shine.

I know rebranding is arduous and expensive (though selling new jerseys and apparel must help), but teams really drag their asses when it comes to giving fans what they want. You can usually count on a good idea being heavily circulated online for almost 5 years before the team decides to work it in as a special occasion jersey. Then it becomes a third. A few years later, it might be the team's official jersey. Sometimes I wish they'd just get to it, but I'm sure their are business/financial reasons for the slow roll.

6 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

The 80's should just die. 

Just because it was your prime doesn't mean anyone else wants to live it. 

You know I kid Mr. B

I see that tongue firmly planted in your cheek!

Jack White is trying to bring back the V.

I do admit- I want a Flying V with either Rick Heinz or Richard Brodeur on it to wear in goal!

3 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

I see that tongue firmly planted in your cheek!

Jack White is trying to bring back the V.

I do admit- I want a Flying V with either Rick Heinz or Richard Brodeur on it to wear in goal!

Jack White is soooo early 2000's.

it's (Insert current year), get with the times man.

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Jack White is soooo early 2000's.

it's (Insert current year), get with the times man.

Well Jack White is also finally tired of “fighting” his guitar, so now he has $6K Paul Reed Smiths and stuff rather than the pawn shoppe specials that I made suddenly HUGE money on when he played them (and I was slinging guitars), so I have a few issues with Jack White...

But I don’t have an issue with his love for the Flying V sweaters!!!

BRING BACK THE V!!!!!

21 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Well Jack White is also finally tired of “fighting” his guitar, so now he has $6K Paul Reed Smiths and stuff rather than the pawn shoppe specials that I made suddenly HUGE money on when he played them (and I was slinging guitars), so I have a few issues with Jack White...

But I don’t have an issue with his love for the Flying V sweaters!!!

BRING BACK THE V!!!!!

Man, you just had your hands in everything didn't you?

I'm a big fan of the flying skate, 80s Canucks logo and colours.  I'm a lifelong Oiler fan growing up in BC during the 80s and 90s and as much as I like the version they're releasing again (with red, swedish yellow trim), I've always preferred the orange and sport gold with the white jersey.  As a kid playing goal in the 80s I always wanted this colour-way for my gloves ?

kirk.jpg

Newer 90s version changed to red and swedish yellow:

d22a98f147eaedcfa37a9be56b683ac7--the-st

Sadly, those colors were the Canucks. They abandoned them. For a long, long time. The Vegas Knights come in and wear this:

Image result for vegas knights

Knights do well. Establish a great identity and sell a ton of their gear.

Now? Now the Canucks want to go back to the yellow, red and black? Too late. Sorry.

1 hour ago, MikeTheGoalie said:

I'm a big fan of the flying skate, 80s Canucks logo and colours.  I'm a lifelong Oiler fan growing up in BC during the 80s and 90s and as much as I like the version they're releasing again (with red, swedish yellow trim), I've always preferred the orange and sport gold with the white jersey.  As a kid playing goal in the 80s I always wanted this colour-way for my gloves ?

kirk.jpg

+1 on this - orange and sport gold ftw!

1 hour ago, MTH said:

I never really noticed the change from sport gold to Swedish gold. How about that...

Me neither, that's interesting. I think I also prefer the sport gold to the Swedish gold...

Also good point about VGK, I totally didn't think of that. It almost looks like they went to Vegas gold for the 'new' skate jersey...

Did the canucks really go to Swedesh yellow? I know they changed the orange to red. I'm thinking that color change could make the gold look lighter? Maybe exposure? That's when pictures started to go digital and colors didn't transfer as well as they did on film too.

Here's a card with Brashear wearing the then gold trimmed jerseys. He came to the Canucks in the spring of 1997. This was the end of the last season with these jerseys.

Image result for Brashear canucks

Looks gold, no?

But in this picture:

53122066.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=3&d=77BFBA

That's yellow.

When did the manufacturers change with their jerseys? Everyone was CCM into the 90s. But mid way they started to wear Starter, Pro Player and another one. I know the retail versions of the Flyers jerseys made by Starter were a different shade of orange that CCM used forever.

13 hours ago, MTH said:

Did the canucks really go to Swedesh yellow? I know they changed the orange to red. I'm thinking that color change could make the gold look lighter? Maybe exposure? That's when pictures started to go digital and colors didn't transfer as well as they did on film too.

Here's a card with Brashear wearing the then gold trimmed jerseys. He came to the Canucks in the spring of 1997. This was the end of the last season with these jerseys.

Image result for Brashear canucks

Looks gold, no?

But in this picture:

53122066.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=3&d=77BFBA

That's yellow.

When did the manufacturers change with their jerseys? Everyone was CCM into the 90s. But mid way they started to wear Starter, Pro Player and another one. I know the retail versions of the Flyers jerseys made by Starter were a different shade of orange that CCM used forever.

Of course there were a lot of private label sweaters made by SP that were shown as Nike, etc. I think at one point, SP was making a fair number of sweaters with other non-hockey brands on the outside.

Archived