Blades of Steel - Arcade Machine Spotted

MTH

Over the weekend, a friend lets me know that while at the Steel Ice Center in Bethlem, PA (kid's game there), he found a vintage still in use Blades of Steel arcade game in the arcade there.

Enjoy.

I told him to play one for me.

Some great points to make - Mylec goalie mask. Fight button is HUGE - pass, shoot buttons small. Goalie posed saves are right out of a 1950's NHL guide.

IMG_7088.JPEG

IMG_7089.JPEG

Oh, man - I saved up paper route money to buy this game for the NES back in the day. It even had an intermission spacecraft mini-game!

Damned right, @Mroy31 - penalty for losing the fight! And the ref would drag you off, while still in a flat-on-the-ice position.

Remember penalty shots, were actual shots, like in soccer? Fucking hilarious! When you beat the game, and see all the  names in the credits, it starts to become clear why so much of the game was bizarre to us North American kids

Loved the comments too: "WITH THE PASS! WITH THE- WITH-THE WITH THE PASS!"

...and then the "AGH!" when you got tripped or knocked down.

We fired up an NES game playing device (knockoff NES machine - played cartridges still) at a tournament last winter. All the parents played. Blades of Steel I was no longer dominant at. Damn you time!

LP - More typing, more gooder.

I remember going to the food store with my mom as a kid and seeing the then teenagers playing 'Punch Out!" in the lobby on a machine. 

To my kids, this story is like me telling them about dinosaurs.

puchout1.jpg

I remember thinking the green dude was lame.

Years later - Mike Tyson's Punch-Out was the greatest thing we played.

On 8/27/2018 at 11:00 AM, MTH said:

Over the weekend, a friend lets me know that while at the Steel Ice Center in Bethlem, PA (kid's game there), he found a vintage still in use Blades of Steel arcade game in the arcade there.

Enjoy.

I told him to play one for me.

Some great points to make - Mylec goalie mask. Fight button is HUGE - pass, shoot buttons small. Goalie posed saves are right out of a 1950's NHL guide.

IMG_7088.JPEG

IMG_7089.JPEG

Hah, I used to coach there 

dont know if that’s new or if I never noticed it 

On 8/28/2018 at 9:45 PM, MTH said:

I remember going to the food store with my mom as a kid and seeing the then teenagers playing 'Punch Out!" in the lobby on a machine. 

To my kids, this story is like me telling them about dinosaurs.

puchout1.jpg

I remember thinking the green dude was lame.

Years later - Mike Tyson's Punch-Out was the greatest thing we played.

in my opinion galaga is the best

Archived