Pelle and Bob Froese Explain 1985 Gear

MTH

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a pro return Moog Christian Curtis Curve from when he was with Montreal. He used a 23" paddle, super short and super heavy.

I'm not sure why I scrolled down to read the comments on that video. "Back when goalies were athletic!" My ass, the ignorance is so frustrating.

We forget how short paddles AND the goalies USED to be. Yes- goalies over 6’ tall were an anomaly because the desire was to have small and agile goalies in those days!!!

We have to remember that just like many other assumptions, small is not necessarily athletic, but those who yearn for the old days will say things like “back when goalies were athletic!”. I am still stuck in the ‘80s and ‘90s with hockey as far as the fighting goes. Goaltending was kind of poor in those days when you think of .887 as a Vezina Trophy winning GAA!

Think of all of the extra wood and glue in those old Curtis Curves! No wonder why they are described as “boat anchors”!

7 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

We forget how short paddles AND the goalies USED to be. Yes- goalies over 6’ tall were an anomaly because the desire was to have small and agile goalies in those days!!!

We have to remember that just like many other assumptions, small is not necessarily athletic, but those who yearn for the old days will say things like “back when goalies were athletic!”. I am still stuck in the ‘80s and ‘90s with hockey as far as the fighting goes. Goaltending was kind of poor in those days when you think of .887 as a Vezina Trophy winning GAA!

Think of all of the extra wood and glue in those old Curtis Curves! No wonder why they are described as “boat anchors”!

I mean I'm 5'8" and use a 26" paddle, but I've always used a large paddle. I used a 23" when I was 5'.

Yeah, I don't like watching much retro hockey because of how the goalies played. Not to sound snobby, it's just so different now with how much more...professional...professional sports are treated.

The Curtis Curves are definitely a battle axe in disguise.

I mean I'm 5'8" and use a 26" paddle, but I've always used a large paddle. I used a 23" when I was 5'.

Yeah, I don't like watching much retro hockey because of how the goalies played. Not to sound snobby, it's just so different now with how much more...professional...professional sports are treated.

The Curtis Curves are definitely a battle axe in disguise.

Gotta remember that a 23” paddle fits a standup style better than butterfly, as well. 

Different strokes as far as what era of hockey you like to watch. I don’t like what ol Boris Bettman has turned the game into, but don’t dislike it enough to tune the modern game out! The goal tending is DEFINITELY better, for certain and actually is the saving grace in many ways for me to watch the game!

Yes- I got to know a few ‘90s NHL (and other league) players over the years being a hair stylist and trained barber. Many smelled hung over and like they smoked when I would see them (I am quite close to them cutting their hair).  The ones who stayed in town all year got quite heavy in the summer. Since I worked in a town with a country club, the people who worked there (particularly on the golf course) had stories about those fellows (as well as other pro sports players)!

That would NEVER fly now! Some of those guys did end up cleaning up and played close to their late 30’s and up. 

Yes- you’re definitely right about professional sports becoming more professional!

Reading the Grant Fuhr book. When he was in the WHL (cougars team), his save percentage was over 900. The author notes that an over 900 save percentage then translates to something more than 940 now. 

Thought that was funny to read.

Mind you too the shooters were less skilled, using wood sticks and were mostly Canadian farm boys. Any player today in the NHL, if time machined back, would dominate the NHL then.

Archived