Make pads slide again with ease (3rd party products)??

BMW11190

After having my CCM EFlecx II 860's for 2 years now, I feel the friction on sliding is getting more and more as time goes on. The ease isnt there anymore like it was when they were new or even 1 year old. What do goalies use to put on their pads to help limit the friction on the ice and help the pads slide with ease again. I heard Sno-seal, Armoral, and other leather applicators but I dont want to damage my pads as I do not buy leg pads often. My pads are all white so I would also want to limit the discoloration on the pad as well from using a thrid party product to make my pads slide with ease again. Any information or insight would be greatly appreciated.

I've never tried anything, but a word of caution: I know some guys recommend Armor-All. I know years ago a lot pf people moved away form it in the auto field because although it made your tires and vinyl look great (shiny and new), it also promoted cracking of the same material over time. I would be concerned it may do the same with Jen-pro.

Some people have suggested natural waxes such as Carnuba - seems to me that would be a lot more benign - but saying "that's my 2cents" is probably inflating the value somewhat too...

I've been using shoe dubbin (might go under a different name in NA?) on my pads for years to no ill effect and it really helps with sliding - to the point where I have to be careful not to put too much on otherwise you slide out of control on clean ice! A pot of clear dubbin here is like £3 / $4 so way cheaper than any of the other stuff too

3 hours ago, jeff da goalie said:

GoalieParts has Ice Kream.  Passau has their sliding polish.  They're both pretty much the same thing.  

Sno Seal is for leather.  It does nothing for Jenpro.  I hear of guys saying "yeah, I got it to soak in by using a hair dryer."

Nope.  It will go on and come right off.  

I'm also an Ice Kream user.  Stuff works great.

• 1 month later...
55 minutes ago, hockeycommunity said:

Does anyone know if sno seal will work on the new Bauer material? I was planning on covering the leather bits and seams, but I want to know if I should spread it over the rest of the "c.o.r." material as well.

Don't think you'd want to use sno seal on any part of a newer Bauer pad. There's no leather at all. The majority of the outer material is a vinyl. Similar to what they cover boat seats with. The bindings are jenpro and as stated above, sno seal does nothing for jenpro.You might use Ice Kream on the lower end Bauers because they don't have CORETech, just regular Jenpro. But CORETech slides so well, I don't see a reason to add anything to it in the first place. You'd be out of control. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/7/2019 at 3:32 PM, goalieThreeOne said:

Don't think you'd want to use sno seal on any part of a newer Bauer pad. There's no leather at all. The majority of the outer material is a vinyl. Similar to what they cover boat seats with. The bindings are jenpro and as stated above, sno seal does nothing for jenpro.You might use Ice Kream on the lower end Bauers because they don't have CORETech, just regular Jenpro. But CORETech slides so well, I don't see a reason to add anything to it in the first place. You'd be out of control. 

Mostly for protection as they're known to have such bad durability, but yea they slide pretty decent. However TotalOnes + sno seal still slide better.

50 minutes ago, hockeycommunity said:

Mostly for protection as they're known to have such bad durability, but yea they slide pretty decent. However TotalOnes + sno seal still slide better.

Reports of durability on newer Bauer pads are very overblown. Starting with the 1S Ver 2 and continuing onto the 2s, the durability of the skin has been very good. The major complaints on durability aren't even on sliding surfaces. They're related to skate cuts and some glue showing through on the very early 1s pads and pad burn on the thigh rise that was corrected early in the 1s product cycle. The sliding surface on OD1N pads is literally hard plastic and wears much better than jenpro. Adding sliding polish is unnecessary and may even be detrimental. 

Archived