Should I ever consider true skates

Jonathon v

Ok I’ve heard a lot of good things about the energy transfer, and the great fit, but I have heard a lot of bad things about: 

the stiching being misplaced

the skates wearing down easily and quickly

The holder doesn’t fit the blade well because of whatever reason, but it would be hard to replace and take like 40 minutes to sharpen skates

And in general many things with the skates that would require a shit ton of modding and changing up. To be clear, if I were to ever get a pair, I would probably get 1 piece because of how great the energy transfer is said to be? Is it that much better than 2 piece? And is it reallllly heavy? Like compared to my Bauer vapor x900 skates I have right now would it be way heavier?

I recently purchased the True 2 piece moving away from my Bauer Supreme 7000 skates. The only reason I went with True was because of the bumps on my heels and nothing on the shelf fit me. I originally purchased the Bauer 2S and they were very comfortable but then realized my ankles were too thick for the boot which wasn't allowing my leg to lean forward. My suggestion would be to try off the shelf skates to see how those fit you. If you have foot problems like I do, then True skates are amazing. I couldn't be happier. However, I don't think these will last as long as my Bauer Supreme's did.

6 hours ago, Jonathon v said:

Ok I’ve heard a lot of good things about the energy transfer, and the great fit, but I have heard a lot of bad things about: 

the stiching being misplaced

the skates wearing down easily and quickly

The holder doesn’t fit the blade well because of whatever reason, but it would be hard to replace and take like 40 minutes to sharpen skates

And in general many things with the skates that would require a shit ton of modding and changing up. To be clear, if I were to ever get a pair, I would probably get 1 piece because of how great the energy transfer is said to be? Is it that much better than 2 piece? And is it reallllly heavy? Like compared to my Bauer vapor x900 skates I have right now would it be way heavier?

Jonathon, stay away from True skates unless you have issues with your feet! Even then Bauer makes custom skates and so does CCM my son waisted over 3 months with them earlier this season and after two attempts by them to build a proper skate I got my money back from our LhS.

Nearly every goalie skate that I have seen 8 - 6 of them have had issues from ripped liners/exterior upper sections coming undone/ in our case liner ripped on  molding of skates at the store and two sets of skates with crooked blade holders. I know their comfortable my sons can attest to that but so are his Bauer 2S off the shelf.

i don’t think that the minor performance benefits you would get from their product outweighs the highly probable issues you will end up having with their product.

My sons True experience was a total fiasco - this was by far the worst goalie equipment purchase we ever made! 

1 hour ago, Big2 said:

Jonathon, stay away from True skates unless you have issues with your feet! Even then Bauer makes custom skates and so does CCM my son waisted over 3 months with them earlier this season and after two attempts by them to build a proper skate I got my money back from our LhS.

Nearly every goalie skate that I have seen 8 - 6 of them have had issues from ripped liners/exterior upper sections coming undone/ in our case liner ripped on  molding of skates at the store and two sets of skates with crooked blade holders. I know their comfortable my sons can attest to that but so are his Bauer 2S off the shelf.

i don’t think that the minor performance benefits you would get from their product outweighs the highly probable issues you will end up having with their product.

My sons True experience was a total fiasco - this was by far the worst goalie equipment purchase we ever made! 

Ok thanks.

I've had a pair of 2 piece Trues for about a year.

Great skates but the concerns you've raised aren't rumours. They do wear down pretty quickly. I've had to replace a few eyelets and probably about 10 rivets by now. Haven't had any stitching come undone, but I have had some of the glue delaminate as well as the tongue velcro completely fray to the point the tongue wouldn't even stay without some gorilla glue. 

Another issue I've had is with the stiffness of the inner boot. It doesn't hurt but the area above my inner ankles gets super tender after a game. 

I've never had an issue with the holder not fitting properly (but I ordered just the boot and got my LHS to install Vertexx Edge holders). But the rivets do need to be replaced often due to how True designed the rivets to go straight into the carbon fibre without anything for them to really grip on.

Now that CCM and Bauer have their custom scanners, I would definitely consider them.

Aquilzz - thanks for confirming what I am seeing out in the market. We dodged a bullit when True screwed up my sons second pair of skates, left them at the store and got my money back.

True 2 piece - goalie skates will run you about 1k both CCM and Bauer might cost you slightly more up front but at the end of the day will last you longer so cheaper without all the drama.

i can’t emphasize to you all how CHEAP these skates are I give them +/- 2 years and they will be dead

Max - what are you currently wearing and what are issues ?

Typically a good hockey shop should be able to mod your skates to solve most issues you might be having, check this out in your region?

Finally when you have the money to buy a pair of custom skates - take a look at Bauer/CCM and possibly Graf if they offer this option as well

I picked up a set of pro return true two piece before the start of the season. I baked them at home (they have a YouTube video on how to do it) and they fit me perfectly but I don’t have weird feet. I have had 40+ shinnys and games in them so far. I do dry them immediately after each skate in my rocket sport dryer. 

On 2/12/2019 at 6:01 PM, Max27 said:

@Jonathon v lmk what you end up doing- Ive had fit issues with both of my recent pairs of skates and might consider trues in a few years once i could afford them

I’ll be honest I probably won’t get  them for years. My skates are fine, just wearing down a little bit. I’m also 14 gonna he 15 in less than 15 days, so my feet are not done growing  I just made this so I can see if all the rumors are true, because I would definitely get 1 piece if not for all these problems with them

3 hours ago, Jonathon v said:

I’ll be honest I probably won’t get  them for years. My skates are fine, just wearing down a little bit. I’m also 14 gonna he 15 in less than 15 days, so my feet are not done growing  I just made this so I can see if all the rumors are true, because I would definitely get 1 piece if not for all these problems with them

yeah me either,  im pretty close to yourage, im 15 turning 16 in august, i wouldnt consider them for at least a few more years lmao

3 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Image result for graf hockeyImage result for supra's are 👍

this took me so long to get, i was thinking to myself "Graf Car? tf does that mean"

Archived