2019 Kenesky Gear: In Progress, First Impressions, Review

Chenner29

Thread for last year's set: here

I placed an order last year for a(nother) full set of Kenesky gear.  I found as I got more familiar with the equipment, there were some tweaks that I wanted to make, as well as some things I wanted to try out.  The next post down is my spec sheet along with some of my thought process behind the mod requests.

Pics are starting to float in from the shop, and I thought I'd share.

Just like last year, I'll be updating this thread with:

• First Impressions, once it gets here
  • 30 day review
  • 60 day review
  • 90 day review

image.png.45b7afa6bcc3f9b6de905c6cb178434c.pngimage.png.ba6602b2e1301970d14edd0fcbee268e.pngimage.png.c4f16bff5a919fc7684494cc1bb1b6d9.png

image.png.ffcc10ac2ede6821d98edb072ae4732a.pngimage.png.6aa07fa7fc9d14b81105c233fb829456.pngimage.png.8a905c512063e58bc7577239a27c1a30.png

image.png.b4aa4462ba8bef8ac5dbc7bbb282476d.pngimage.png.214af56f25f26aca537a59949cea2e4b.png

Spec Sheet, my comments/explanation in italics.

Knee:

• Nash knee landing block, sits flush with knee wing (no gaps between knee wing, block, and landing gear)
    • Nash for grip, flush to knee wing for stability
  • Flat nylon knee cradle
    • I wanted as little material between my knee and the front of the pad to help the pad seal up between the knees when I'm down
  • Strap-through extended knee block with bump
    • Best knee block configuration available, IMO.  There's a reason why Warrior and Vaughn have it now too.
  • Sewn in knee block, tight, no movement
    • Responsive knee block for tighter drops
  • Add 1/8" thickness to knee block, hard foam on sliding edge
  • Red sewn in leather SLR strap.  Receiving end 1" below bottom knee break on buckle side
    • This ended up becoming a configurable leather SLR strap; you can see two pairs of slotted holes for it that are user adjustable.

Shin:

• Nylon shin
  • Doubled up velcro elastic strap from knee block to top of outside calf wrap 
  • Velcro elastic strap across back of calf

Pad:

• Double internal break, medium stiffness above knee, soft below knee
  • Thin triangular outer roll
    • Thinner to eliminate weight, better post integration in RVH
  • 30* tilt from knee break up
    • Stock, these pads are pretty straight.  I wanted a bit more of a pre-curve to go along with my pretty narrow butterfly
  • Stiffer pad face
    • Bigger rebounds
  • Soft boot break
  • Slight leg channel inset toward sliding edge
    • My thinking is getting my legs closer to the ice when down will give me a bit better stability
  • Round roll on sliding edge with thicker calf wedge
    • Should help this pad slide even better

Straps:

• Red leather strap from knee block to below knee break
  • Elastic across back of calf

Glove

• One piece front cuff
  • Finger ridges internal 
  • Waxed yellow or white skate lace pocket
  • Reinforced edge
    • To eliminate finger curl (Vaughn 5500s were notorious for this)
  • Reinforced T top
    • Had this on my first glove through them; you get a lot more consistency and power when playing the puck
  • Red leather wrist strap moved up 1.5" towards hand
    • Felt this was too far down my arm on the first set.  This opens up a lot more space in the glove for a C/A to fit
  • Double tee, regulation depth
  • Royal blue backhand nylon, sport gold binding

Blocker

• Royal blue in all nylon areas, sport gold binding
  • Reinforced blocker board (plastic?)
    • On my current set, I found when taking a shot to the upper curved part of the blocker, the board would bend and cause weird bouncy rebounds.
  • Additional elastic at index finger tip, tacked down to finger protection

First Impressions

I took delivery of the gear in the early evening last night but didn't have a chance to open the box and play around with everything until later in the evening after the kids went to bed.

In looking over the pads, I really have to say I am impressed.  Mike was able to nail all the mod requests I made.

I snapped some pics for the purpose of this post.

During the production process, Mike asked me how I carried my pads.  I told him I usually strap them over my shoulder and he kind of left it at that.  After popping the box open, I realized he included a nice little gift - he made me one of these neat little shoulder harnesses:

image.png.e6f2064cfd7e40a92912c15693ecaa3f.png

The bottom is sewn together with some air fill padding material. It's a nice touch and very much appreciated.

image.thumb.png.ed2a6727968f14d643789fc2cef53ca7.png

First, here is a shot of the leg channel, along with the adjustable leather Scrivens/Professor strap.

• There are three openings on the outside and two on the inside just below the knee, all connected by a nylon tube that runs just past the back of the pad.  It can be adjusted with needle nose pliers (used to pull the strapping through).  I had these on the lowest setting to help with rotation as I wear pretty big knee pads (Bauer 1X)
  • I find this strapping setup works perfectly if you run the velcro from the knee block to the outside of the calf protector, as it keeps the leg locked in place and maintains control of the pad without impeding rotation or causing any interference issues with the outside knee wing.

Here's a closer picture:

image.thumb.png.d0385c21bc131b636cad66c33219c0bf.png

I went with a nylon leg channel this time around.

image.thumb.png.d7d14f95d22d5321f365eaaacdb3cf0f.png

Here's a side profile shot of the pad with the smaller vertical roll, along with a close-up shot of the strapping.

image.thumb.png.7737b860d9c1505d6a963b3ae8fbd619.pngimage.thumb.png.1fc08c6477400309989064f69e25a46e.png

Here, you can see the inside leg channel on the new pad (left and top right) along with my build from last year. I requested the new set have a slightly offset leg and boot channel; it looks like everything was moved toward the sliding edge about an inch. 

Also, lighting is a funny thing as the pads look more orange on the right.

image.png.6e6294c2f6e6b2c0afdb91d743c16be8.png

Here was a hot button for me, one of the "missions" on this pad was to eliminate as much nylon on the sliding surface as possible to eliminate drag and create more consistent slides.  I have highlighted binding spots in red which came exposed over time on the old set.

I had the Jenpro/clarino binding on the boot moved up further when compared to last year's model, and also asked for the rounded inside roll.  In my mind, using the round inside roll raises the sliding surface above all the nylon binding.

Having demoed an Eflex3 set with Speedskin and spending some time with CORTECH on the Bauer 1X (no experience with Warrior Airslide or Vaughn/Brian's Primo), I will say my old set slid better than Speedskin and were a smidge slower than the CORTECH.  The old set did have weave, and I opted against it this year, but I'm feeling pretty that the changes I made will help the pad slide better than last year, weave or not.

Onto the gloves:

image.thumb.png.0867587aa93ca5f1d24a5bee29b5059a.png

Old glove on top, new one on bottom.  Kind of hard to tell from the angle, but I had the wrist strap moved to the base of the hand (as opposed to middle of the wrist) for mobility.

image.png.2dae8827912878bb122d4113fdeeb0a8.png

IMO an underrated feature of the glove is the lobster tail on the backhand cuff.  It flares out a lot more aggressively so you can get your gloves forward.

image.thumb.png.eabe41a67d26048267c8c1c0ba420cf3.png

Finally, the blocker.  Not much to say here, as it remains my favorite piece of gear in the collection.  The biggest issue I had was the consistency of the board, which has been remedied with a new foam makeup and a plastic sheet on top.  Here, I am flexing the upper lip of the board back and was able to get that corner almost flat, but I had issues capturing this on camera as I only have two hands...I have the new blocker in the background so you can see the amount of flare in the board.

Thanks for making it to the bottom.  I've got the chest protector being started next week and will create a separate thread for that.

7 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Great looking set. Its awesome that you have such control over your specs.

Curious - what is the D-ring near the toe for? Looks like the one higher up might be a connection point for a boot strap, but what is the purpose of the lower one?

It’s for the toe tie system. If you look on the left toe of the pad, there is a small hole there where the shock cord starts. It loops around the skate, through the D ring at the other side and then clips up near the boot break. 

3 hours ago, aircanuck said:

When did you put your order in? Still waiting on glove, blocker and chesty. Ordered in early December.

July...apparently there was some mix-up when the deposit was sent.

I talked to another gent who said he ordered in October/November and just got his set in January. 

@aircanuck @jayluv54

I forgot to mention in the spec sheet section about sizing.

What Mike will probably ask for is measurements on the face of your pad (bottom boot to boot break, boot break to bottom knee roll, total knee roll measurement, and top of knee roll to top of pad).

With my set last year, we got the measurements dialed in but the pads still felt like they were sitting too tall.
I realized it is because there is zero boot channel on these pads, so I went down an inch and a half in the thigh on these.

Here is a pic for reference, you can kinda see how tall these fit.

image.png.6516aa135490321e38afeb2be8ff9b93.png

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Can you elaborate on this?  Why do you think this is the best configuration?  

Sure, I think the extended bump gives you some extra stability if you shift your weight back while down. 

Theres gotta be a reason it’s becoming industry standard - you can also find it on the Warrior, Vaughn SLR, and I think the new Brian’s.

1 hour ago, Max27 said:

@Chenner29 Why red straps w a yellow-blue set? 

A fortune teller told me yellow, red, and black are my lucky colors 

On 3/3/2019 at 8:10 PM, Chenner29 said:

Sure, I think the extended bump gives you some extra stability if you shift your weight back while down. 

Theres gotta be a reason it’s becoming industry standard - you can also find it on the Warrior, Vaughn SLR, and I think the new Brian’s.

What bump?

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived