Washable Neck Guard

Washable Neck Guard   

31 members have voted

1. 1. How Important is it to have a machine washable neck guard?

• Very, would steer me toward a particular product
    • Nice to have, but not a make or break purchasing decision
    • Can't wash my exisiting bib in the machine, I am not missing it now
  2. 2. How to Wash?

• I don't mind popping the padding in and out of the shell to wash. I would wash this very often
    • If I have to remove the padding from the shell to wash it, I would RARELY wash it
    • If I have to remove the padding from the shell to wash it, I would NEVER wash it

I think as long as the protection can be kept within 95% or higher of the current product (assuming they have made non-washable neck guards already) and the mobility and quality is unaffected, then it would be nice to have, but for me not completely necessary. Maybe for those who sweat a lot or who have sensitive skin it might be a bigger draw for them.

1) It would be nice to have, but I already hang my neck guard up to dry after every skate, so it's not a big deal.

2) I throw all of my undergarments (shirt, compression pants, socks, etc.) and jersey in the washing machine immediately after unpacking my stuff, so having removable padding is fine - I'll just take it out when I do the rest of it.

Looks like I was the same as the majority, middle selection for both.

4 hours ago, TitanG said:

I think as long as the protection can be kept within 95% or higher of the current product (assuming they have made non-washable neck guards already) and the mobility and quality is unaffected, then it would be nice to have, but for me not completely necessary. Maybe for those who sweat a lot or who have sensitive skin it might be a bigger draw for them.

Not sure if the "they" you are using refers to this new company or to the industry in general.  If the latter, the recent generation Maltese, along with the ECO and Roughneck models are machine washable but are not to be put in the dryer.

13 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

Not sure if the "they" you are using refers to this new company or to the industry in general.  If the latter, the recent generation Maltese, along with the ECO and Roughneck models are machine washable but are not to be put in the dryer.

New company asked for our feedback. 

26 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

Yeah I meant this company in particular. Good to know for the Maltese, ECO, and Roughneck.

I guess if a product had removable padding, then the fabric may also be machine dryable.

1 hour ago, TitanG said:

Yeah I meant this company in particular. Good to know for the Maltese, ECO, and Roughneck.

I guess if a product had removable padding, then the fabric may also be machine dryable.

Yes, that is the plan.

Very good point to make. This would be washable and dryable, that's the point of the removable padding

14 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Yes, that product is nice if you want a very minimalist design... but I think the average goalie wants some more padding.

...but more/thicker padding does not necessarily mean more/better protection. It's what's inside that counts. ;)

I have the Aegis, and while I have been fortunate to not have it put to the test, the D30 is *supposed* to harden on impact, providing protection without being overly thick - and certainly providing protection against cuts/lacerations. So while it won't deflect impacts the way a dangler would, it does at least provide more impact protection than a neck "guard" that really only has a thick wad of old futon mattress foam in it (just being facetious; there are many good models out there).

As far as the feedback (based on my use of the Aegis), I consider it part of my base layer, as it is in contact with my skin - and I am a big sweater. Ergo, it must go in the wash. Taking the padding out and putting it back in can be a bit of a pain, but I feel it's worth the benefit of not having to strap a rancid stank rag to my neck every time I play.

2 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

...but more/thicker padding does not necessarily mean more/better protection. It's what's inside that counts. ;)

I think there is sort of a misconception here...

10mm of VN foam would be better than 2mm of D30, XRD, or Eco Pro or whatever.

Think about a car breaking analogy...

The puck is traveling over 70 mph when it hits you. The puck needs a certain amount of distance to totally break and it's energy dissipated. If the puck doesn't have the required breaking distance via the thickness of the foam, the puck's energy is either going to be transferred to the user and create pain or away from the user causing the pucks rebound.

The advantage of the designer foam is that they can provide good results with less bulk. But a bulky thick unit is still the most padded. It's why a Brown chest protector is probably about the most tank like product on earth and uses no fancy technology.

When I put Shocktec in my Vaughn combo, I used to throw it in the wash all the time with no problems, even put it in the dryer.  Did that for years and it held up just fine.  Now that I use a PAW, as long as I put it in front of the fan when I get home and spray it down occasionally with an alcohol/vinegar mixture, it's good to go, no smell or anything.

4 minutes ago, jayluv54 said:

When I put Shocktec in my Vaughn combo, I used to throw it in the wash all the time with no problems, even put it in the dryer.  Did that for years and it held up just fine.  Now that I use a PAW, as long as I put it in front of the fan when I get home and spray it down occasionally with an alcohol/vinegar mixture, it's good to go, no smell or anything.

Knowing people was their Maltese units and that people deg was their bibs, I asked about just leaving the foam in. The company consulted the foam manufacturer. They said this is not recommended.

38 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Hold up. Are these polls like a J.D. Power sort of thing? Sounds like a good idea to me...

Sell my opinion away 😁

There are a hand full of small companies asking my opinion on things. I don't know everything and I figured that people would love the opportunity to share their opinion, that's why I added the polls.

I don't do any paid consulting projects. Don't worry, there is nothing behind the scenes here.

Back when I was in Bantam in 1984/85 I had the original Kim Crouch collar.  My Mom sewed me covers, that would slip on and off the unit, one that matched home jersey, one for away, and one for practice.  Easy to slip off and wash/dry and kept the unit looking nice and not grimy with sweat stains.

7 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I don't do any paid consulting projects. Don't worry, there is nothing behind the scenes here.

I figured. I was just messing around. Sometimes things just click together even though they shouldn't. Just thought I might as well ask because that sort of thing has happened on the RC car forums more than once.

36 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Knowing people was their Maltese units and that people deg was their bibs, I asked about just leaving the foam in. The company consulted the foam manufacturer. They said this is not recommended.

Oh I'm sure it's not and actually it first happened by mistake when my wife just grabbed it with my jerseys and socks.  I expected it to come out mangled, but it didn't.  4 years later when my mask finally shredded the collar beyond repair and I retired it, I took the foam out and compared it to unused pieces I had and to my surprise it still looked brand new.  One side has like a fabric finish which was starting to peel up, but otherwise I couldn't believe how well that stuff held up to 4 years of sweat, pucks, sticks, always shoved in the bottom of my bag and then machine washed and dried every couple of weeks or so.

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

I think there is sort of a misconception here...

10mm of VN foam would be better than 2mm of D30, XRD, or Eco Pro or whatever.

Think about a car breaking analogy...

The puck is traveling over 70 mph when it hits you. The puck needs a certain amount of distance to totally break and it's energy dissipated. If the puck doesn't have the required breaking distance via the thickness of the foam, the puck's energy is either going to be transferred to the user and create pain or away from the user causing the pucks rebound.

The advantage of the designer foam is that they can provide good results with less bulk. But a bulky thick unit is still the most padded. It's why a Brown chest protector is probably about the most tank like product on earth and uses no fancy technology.

The braking analogy is interesting; I hadn't considered it that way. Good point!

3 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

The braking analogy is interesting; I hadn't considered it that way. Good point!

Something the C&A arm floaters is a perfect use case. You cant put anything too bulky there or the mobility is gone. If you go too thin there, the padding doesn't do it's job. 

Archived