Ice Dragons mask by Head Strong Grafx

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Mask came out great!  Love the new threads, I used Mens league sweaters for my team as well.

thanks!

Yeah, the jerseys and socks are really nice.  The jerseys have a great weight to them and they feel nice and durable.  These socks are my first modern, silky socks and the they absolutely improve pad rotation compared to knit socks.  The lighter blue came out a bit more green than I had hope for/approved (supposed to more of a true sky blue), but color variation is to be expected with any printing on fabrics and all in all the mask, uniforms, and my pads are all in the same color family so I'm a happy camper.

On 5/3/2019 at 3:41 PM, seagoal said:

thanks!

Yeah, the jerseys and socks are really nice.  The jerseys have a great weight to them and they feel nice and durable.  These socks are my first modern, silky socks and the they absolutely improve pad rotation compared to knit socks.  The lighter blue came out a bit more green than I had hope for/approved (supposed to more of a true sky blue), but color variation is to be expected with any printing on fabrics and all in all the mask, uniforms, and my pads are all in the same color family so I'm a happy camper.

We've had a few hiccups with our orders with MLS but we're happy with the product.  Our original order was supposed to be the V neck styled collar but it came with laces instead.  Not that big of a deal.  We've since placed two orders for either new guys joining or guys wanting to replace their original jersey.  The first reorder came back neon green instead of the correct green, which is more of a Kelly green.  An honest mistake as the jersey design we copied for ours is actually neon.  They put a rush order in for a correction.  The second reissue came back with the correct green.  Both reissues the logos came back darker than the original.  I also put an order in for new socks for the guys and those came back neon as well.  Again they corrected the mistake with a rush order and gave me a few extra pairs of socks.

I don't use the socks so I cannot comment on them.  I know a lot of the guys mentioned they're very long.

24 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

We've had a few hiccups with our orders with MLS but we're happy with the product.  Our original order was supposed to be the V neck styled collar but it came with laces instead.  Not that big of a deal.  We've since placed two orders for either new guys joining or guys wanting to replace their original jersey.  The first reorder came back neon green instead of the correct green, which is more of a Kelly green.  An honest mistake as the jersey design we copied for ours is actually neon.  They put a rush order in for a correction.  The second reissue came back with the correct green.  Both reissues the logos came back darker than the original.  I also put an order in for new socks for the guys and those came back neon as well.  Again they corrected the mistake with a rush order and gave me a few extra pairs of socks.

I don't use the socks so I cannot comment on them.  I know a lot of the guys mentioned they're very long.

I just placed our first reorder for a new guy and I'm concerned about the colors, too.

A coupled of guys have noted needing to hem the socks, so yeah, they seem long.  I guess that's better than too short, though.   

The socks for me actually aren't long enough, as I usually tape mine down around the underneath of my heel so they don't ride up my leg. Knit socks are more flexible so they can stretch longer than these silky modern socks. 

2 minutes ago, seagoal said:

I just placed our first reorder for a new guy and I'm concerned about the colors, too.

A coupled of guys have noted needing to hem the socks, so yeah, they seem long.  I guess that's better than too short, though.   

The socks for me actually aren't long enough, as I usually tape mine down around the underneath of my heel so they don't ride up my leg. Knit socks are more flexible so they can stretch longer than these silky modern socks. 

I sent in a spare sock to make sure they got the correct green.  

• 1 month later...

May as well update this thread with the whole get up.

It's neat when opponents and refs are all "dude, you look amazing.  Nicely done."

Makes me smile for a second and then I want to move on and not think about my gear while playing real quick. 

As you can see, the lighter colors don't match perfectly, but in a weird way, it sorta works.  The gloves match the pads and the mask matches the jersey.  

That's a win, I suppose. 

20190602_204852.jpg

IMG_2871.jpg

20190602_205001.jpg

20190602_203103.jpg

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 3

Great looking mask and perfect matching team colors.

I checked Head Strong website after your thread and it's nice that they post pricing on it. I just wonder if all artist have similar price range like them? How it looks with others like e.g. DaveArt?

5 hours ago, Nohtaram said:

Great looking mask and perfect matching team colors.

I checked Head Strong website after your thread and it's nice that they post pricing on it. I just wonder if all artist have similar price range like them? How it looks with others like e.g. DaveArt?

Thanks man.

Good question.  I ended up with quotes from 4 or 5 artists and they were all in the  same price range. 

For something as busy as mine it's gonna be $1200+ easy and in terms of Head Strong , mine was the third , highest tier. 

There are some very good artists in Canada who aren't in the NHL but all over the CHL.  They're likely a tad cheaper , especially if you're paying in US dollars. 

Dave Art isn't available for guys like us so it's hard to say.

Like him or not his masks are VERY busy and technically complicated so I imagine they are quite expensive,  especially factoring shipping to and from Sweden. 

4 minutes ago, seagoal said:

$1400 plus $60-70 to and from shipping. His third, top tier is listed as $1400+.

Yea figures. I had Excalibur Airbrushing quote mt $600 to paint my mask black and add three green lines. So doubling that for the complexity you have would make sense (and is a better "value" than what I was quoted)

11 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Yea figures. I had Excalibur Airbrushing quote mt $600 to paint my mask black and add three green lines. So doubling that for the complexity you have would make sense (and is a better "value" than what I was quoted)

$600?!? that’s insane!

33 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Time to hit up @Doobiesnax he did mine.  He loves simple work

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

Time to hit up @Doobiesnax he did mine.  He loves simple work

Yes, agreed.  I went to him first but my plan for this mask was justifiably beyond his capability at this time.  We respectfully shook hands over the internet, but I would have felt great going with him for basic lines and such.

• 2 years later...

I had a skate early this morning on the Kraken rink...first ever drop-in there...and pulled my mask out of the bag and realized I had a pretty substantial divot right on the center crest up top.  Interesting with the paint job because you can really see the layers, but damn, it's some decent damage. 

I remember my last time playing was my game last Wednesday and I took a shot straight off the top of my head so this had to be it.  It was a very hard slapshot close in and after dropping to my knees I essentially tried to duck under the puck and I failed, it hit me in the center of my head right up top. 

The base of this helmet is white and that layer too is gone.  It was a pretty hard shot. 

Check it out.  

20210921_081355.thumb.jpg.aefe6a039426ab4f9ba6f156715a9185.jpg

20210921_081408.thumb.jpg.523c1de879e0507c5eda12ee8a2846d6.jpg

I do have a brand new helmet with a new paintjob in my hands any day now so this one is close to retirement, but do you guys think I could get this repaired by a painter?  Any filler type of puddy stuff I could get from a hardware store to fill this divot and then seal it, then painted?

I don't think bondo is the answer at this point (unless you are shooting for making it a show piece on the shelf).

The jagged fibers definitely points to structural damage in my opinion so someone who knows what they are doing might be able to fix it. Would likely involve epoxy resin and some patching but others more learned can speak to that.

I wouldn't wear it in a game scenario if it were me but considering where it's at on your mask I guess if you had to you might feel better about it than on the front of your mask but as they say - you only get one noggin.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, chile57 said:

I don't think bondo is the answer at this point (unless you are shooting for making it a show piece on the shelf).

The jagged fibers definitely points to structural damage in my opinion so someone who knows what they are doing might be able to fix it. Would likely involve epoxy resin and some patching but others more learned can speak to that.

I wouldn't wear it in a game scenario if it were me but considering where it's at on your mask I guess if you had to you might feel better about it than on the front of your mask but as they say - you only get one noggin.

Thanks for the feedback.

From what I can tell there is no extensive damage like a crack or anything like that.  There is a slight dent but considering it's on the raised crest that in and of itself is not concerning. 

I took a coin to do some tap testing and the only change in sound on the whole area is in the very edge of the paint where the paint is loose.  

I would assume of there was a crack in the helmet the paint would be cracked or loose over the crack and I can't find anything like that. 

As of now, I am not concerned about safety.  I play again tonight and after tonight my new one should be in my hands within 3 skates.  

I guess my question is with an epoxy resin filler patch, which specific type? I'm willing to do it myself but imagine going to Home Depot and seeing 75 options for 13 different types of material patchjobs.  Any specific recommendations?

I texted my crafty Home Depoty teammate and asked him, just waiting on his response.

Edited by seagoal

Looks like delamination of fibers to me with the stringy hair looking sections (?) as opposed to just paint damage but you are the one with eyes on it. I was talking about epoxy resin that would be used to construct a mask in the first place - not sure what the most equivalent you could find at Lowes/Home Depot would be but if you are just looking to bandaid it I suppose anything is better than nothing. I'm not an expert but if it were me I'd use a two part epoxy mix that takes the longest to cure (longer cure generally means better adhesion and the like) over JB. I've never had great luck with JB.

Good luck. Maybe one of the folks who have dabbled in this stuff will chime in with some more credible answers.

Edited by chile57
  • Like 1