Quick Mid / Bishop Twist/ Mrazek Wedge

Jonathon v

7 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Wow, tough crowd today.  I guess I should have used an emoji.

This is internet mix ups.  It's all good as far as I'm concerned. If this were real life we'd be cheersing beers.

My original was just edited.  Now we can reflect on it and your quote of the now deleted one in our old age and laugh at ourselves.

41 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Wow, tough crowd today.  I guess I should have used an emoji.

So a different curve wont help me with shooting the puck directly into my defenseman, or directly to the opposing team?

I feel like the kid at the store lied to me...

3 minutes ago, MangoRhinehart said:

So a different curve wont help me with shooting the puck directly into my defenseman, or directly to the opposing team?

I feel like the kid at the store lied to me...

No, but a different curve will make you attractive to the opposite or same sex and will compel you to have your drivers license picture retaken.

3 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

And let the bromance blossom once again!

I was thinking about this today. 

I've virtually known these guys and several regulars on here for almost a decade going back to the GSBB days.  For sure since 2011. 

Were you on there too? 

10 minutes ago, MangoRhinehart said:

I joined gsbb in 2006 under a different name...but I was a full on lurker with 64 total posts.

That's good to know.  I'm really interested in demographics and it'd be neat to take stock of regulars on here and see who was around there back in the day.

And oh yeah...stick curves.....yes, they won't make you a good puck handler, but if you are a good puck handler, the right curve is vital. 

There....somewhat back on track. 

8 hours ago, seagoal said:

That's good to know.  I'm really interested in demographics and it'd be neat to take stock of regulars on here and see who was around there back in the day.

And oh yeah...stick curves.....yes, they won't make you a good puck handler, but if you are a good puck handler, the right curve is vital. 

Yes quite back on track...

When I play the puck I imagine it is a live grenade covered in an eggshell, full of angry bees.   Is this the correct approach? 

I have some price curves, which would be a wedge in warrior.  The wedge has actually enabled me to sometimes clear the puck competently, when I am not shooting it directly to at my D legs/chest. I checked out a Ritual V1 yesterday, since I still live in the dark ages of stick technology most of the time.  The twist was a bit wicked, but I may want to try it out, looks like it would make clearing real easy even for someone like me.

8 hours ago, seagoal said:

I found a password reset request in my email from 2010. It's a pain to try navigate that site anymore but I would assume that was pretty close to when I actually joined there. Didn't post all that much though, mainly used it for the classifieds since it was way better than eBay.

To keep it on topic I am also looking into dipping my toe into the composite world and was wondering if anyone knew what was closest in Warrior to the old Reebok Miller curve which I believe now is the Holtby. I dug an old 26' paddle out after using 25' for a couple years and I think I want to go back to a longer stick.

On 5/9/2019 at 5:13 PM, CJ Boiss said:

Sure, the curve doesn't make you a good or bad puck handler, but it does play a part in how the puck behaves when you handle it. Closed-face will settle the puck down more quickly and reliably than open-face, but open-face lifts the puck easier than closed-face. Mid- and toe-curves create more distinct "zones" on the blade for where you want the puck when stickhandling, shooting, and passing, than do heel-curves. Stronger curves trade more control on the forehand for less control on the backhand.

What curve is "right" for a goalie depends entirely on how they interact with the puck. Do you stickhandle the puck frequently? Long or short passes? On ice, saucy, or bombs? Do you play chicken with forecheckers? Do you skate with the puck? How do you hold your stick? How much do you bend your knees? Where are your shoulders?

And once you start asking those questions you can't just limit yourself to the curve of your stick. You need to take a look at the flex and lie, the height of the shaft, the size of your knob (the one on the top of your stick, pervert :P ).

But if you're looking for the most "neutral" pattern possible, it would probably be a shallow, closed mid-curve with a square toe. That should be the most forgiving, in that if you really botch the sauce you (probably) won't send the puck into the press box, and the puck won't deflect unpredictably off of the blade.

Speaking very generally: if someone is looking to maximize their ICBP's (Intercontinental Ballistic Passes) you'd want to look at a deep, open heel-curve, with a stiffer shaft and lower lie, so you can really lean into your stick. Short-range sauce would be better served by a shallower, open heel-curve, (or a deeper, open mid-curve) with a whippier shaft and higher lie, to make it easier to handle the puck closer to your body (or behind the net) and complete those quick, precise passes.

So if I wanna make nice sauce passes that don’t go way to high what curve is good? If I try to sauce it to my teammates who are on the red line or blue line I will either sauce it just right or wayyyyyy too high. I have a 2s pro stock curve

8 hours ago, Jonathon v said:

So if I wanna make nice sauce passes that don’t go way to high what curve is good? If I try to sauce it to my teammates who are on the red line or blue line I will either sauce it just right or wayyyyyy too high. I have a 2s pro stock curve

At the end of the day, every curve can sauce too high. Make a point of practicing for a few minutes during warm-up, standing still and while moving, and you'll start to dial things in regardless of what curve you're using. Being comfortable with your stick is the most important thing.

That said, closed-face patterns are typically more forgiving, and less likely to send the puck into the rafters. The "stock" curve on a 2S paddle is the P31, which is a slightly open mid-curve; you won't find many (if any) retail paddles with a more closed face than that. If you're finding that curve to be too unpredictable, I'm not sure what to say. Maybe find a more open-faced stick to borrow for a shinny, see if that feels better.

And also look at slimming down the size of your stick's knob? (check out Care'y Price's stick). A smaller knob is less likely to interfere with your wrist movement when you're passing or stick handling.

Archived