Bauer Supreme 1S Skates

TheGoalNet

Here's a good look at the ankle set up in my 1S. As you'll see, my inner ankle is now nowhere near the black material on the inside. It's perfectly in the ankle pad.

the advise from total hockey to lace them as tight as I can wear them has been awesome. Skates feel great now. I'm not sure if they broke in a bit or my previous lacing method wasn't meant for this skate? 

Regardless, ????

IMG_7674.JPG

IMG_7675.JPG

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/12/2017 at 10:44 AM, SaveByRichter35 said:

Glad to see they're working better for you now.

Yup.  This just emphasizes why a long term review is so important. Retail shops who publish "reviews" after 1 use with the rep standing next to them is a joke.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my 1S's for about a year now, the only thing I can add to this thread is my experience getting custom Bauer skates. 

The TLDR: Unless your feet are exactly identical and perfectly suited to a specific skate, and you're spending top of the line retail money on skates, get them custom fit. 

I wasn't looking for new skates, but like @TheGoalNet the first look at the cowling-less skates had me very excited. I emailed my goal shop (The Goalie Crease in Richmond Hill, ON) to see what the pricepoint was going to be and they mentioned that for $100 more, I could get a custom pair with a whole list of custom options.  I figured I was already spending $800, so an extra $100 made sense for the custom fit. (and was a good pricepoint between straight retail and full custom like VH) 

I've always known my right foot was bigger than my left, but when I was in the store getting fitted, the shop guy showed me it was a half size bigger. The custom fitting allows them to go down to 1/8 sizes, so I ended up with a 8 7/8 left skate, and 9 3/8 right skate. You can imagine how squeezed my right foot was in my size 9s up to that point. 

There was a whole excel file full of different options, but I'll give a rundown of what I did and what else was available. 

- +1 size toe cap (can go up or down 1 size) for extra room/protection

- 1/2 inch extended tongue (pretty much just feel for me, matched my old One 100's, could have gone up like 2 inches) 

- Reinforced lace eyelets

- Extended outer wrap. This one is probably most relevant to the review, since the shop guy put me in a pair they had in stock and noticed how far forward my ankle flexed. The result is that I have a pair of 1S skates with the same outer wrap as the 1X skates. 

There were a bunch of other options, but they were either more for guys who want really old options (something like Supreme 7000 tongue I think?) or player skate options since it looked like they used the same sheet for both player and goal. 

The end result was a pair of skates I didn't even need to bake. I probably could have, but after a couple of sessions they were already fitting like they had been baked. Also wearing them around the house for the week before my first ice time probably helped too. 

Again, I highly recommend if you're spending full price money on retail skates, and your feet aren't perfectly sized already, go to a retailer that can custom fit them. It took about 7/8 weeks, and I ordered them literally on launch day. 

This kind of turned into a full post on its own, but wanted to put out my experience with an option between straight retail and full custom VH. I'd be curious to see if Bauers new 3D skate lab scanner will be worked into this similar pricepoint, or if they're going to be giving a more detailed experience. 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 8/30/2017 at 12:46 PM, slade037 said:

Does anyone have any insight on the stiffness of the ankle on the Vapor line compared to the Supreme?  I have a pair of 190s but the ankle is pretty stiff coming from some old RBKs.  I love the skate so far but would like a softer ankle.

I cannot quantify it, but the 1X is supposed to be a bit softer I believe? 

The ankle profiles are very  different. 1X is taller and symmetrical. 1S is more of a low top and asymmetrical. The Vapor boot is also a more generous fit with more volume. Vapor will fit like the old Supreme line pre Curv or the Reactor line. 

IMG_9749.PNG

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

I cannot quantify it, but the 1X is supposed to be a bit softer I believe? 

The ankle profiles are very  different. 1X is taller and symmetrical. 1S is more of a low top and asymmetrical. The Vapor boot is also a more generous fit with more volume. Vapor will fit like the old Supreme line pre Curv or the Reactor line. 

To add to that, the eyelets are also moved forward a few mm in the 1X when compared to the 1S for guys who get into a deeper stance. So you could say it's a softer feel yes, more forgiving in that regard. 

(My apologies if that was mentioned previously, i didn't read every post.)

Well I went ahead and got a pair of Vapors X900.  I just didn't the stiff ankle in the S190.  I haven't played in the X900 yet.  I'll have to wait until Sunday night for that.  But so far, I am liking the Vapors much more.  But this review is only based on having them on in my living room.

IMG_4154.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/24/2017 at 11:42 AM, TheGoalNet said:

@slade037 - How did the Vapor wheels workout for you? 

The Vapors won me the Holiday Tournament so I guess I kept the Vapors and sold the Supremes.  Haha!

The Vapors just felt softer in the ankle area which was important to me.  Coming from RBK 5ks that I had for like 10 years which had a lot of flex, the stiff boot was a big adjustment for me.  It took a few skates to get used to how to skate.  I liked the footbed of the Supremes better than the Vapors though.  Maybe a smidge better for my flat feet.  So I wish I could combine the two.  I'm sure I would've liked the Supremes if I had more time breaking them in.  But the beginning of the season was around the corner so I had to go with what felt best and recoup some of my money back.

I am interested in the new 2S steel.  Maybe I'll upgrade to Step.  But I don't think the LS2 are horrible.

2 hours ago, slade037 said:

The Vapors won me the Holiday Tournament so I guess I kept the Vapors and sold the Supremes.  Haha!

The Vapors just felt softer in the ankle area which was important to me.  Coming from RBK 5ks that I had for like 10 years which had a lot of flex, the stiff boot was a big adjustment for me.  It took a few skates to get used to how to skate.  I liked the footbed of the Supremes better than the Vapors though.  Maybe a smidge better for my flat feet.  So I wish I could combine the two.  I'm sure I would've liked the Supremes if I had more time breaking them in.  But the beginning of the season was around the corner so I had to go with what felt best and recoup some of my money back.

I am interested in the new 2S steel.  Maybe I'll upgrade to Step.  But I don't think the LS2 are horrible.

Interesting you were even able to get to a point where you had to make that decision considering how differently the fit is with those two models.

@IPv6Freely - I think it seriously depends on your foot. I’ve worn 1S and 2S extensively and  taken 1X for a test drive. 

All 3 fit differently and anyone looking at any of those really needs a professional fitting and/or to tey them on... 

but I personally could probably get away with any of the 3. Skipping an eyelit or changing lace tension would be the only minor tweak.

Obviously only 1 is my “best fit” but I’m being realistic that I could continue to play in 1S, which is my least favorite of the 3, and be content. 

I’m actually amazed how much changing the liner on 2S, without changing the volume, makes that skate more accommodating. 

Im probably a freak by having such a neutral foot, haha. Other than my “Bauer bumps”, which I’ve had since I can remember, the only skates I really had an issue with were some Grafs I borrowed from a friend like 8-9 years ago. My feet hurt until they went numb, haha

@slade037 - congrats on the W! Glad the updated wheels are working out 

@TheGoalNet I envy you being able to wear such a range. 

I just always got a kick out of people on GGSU “need skates, size 8, don’t care what model”... like, what? 

Then you go somewhere like MSH where you’ll get meticulous detail about skate fit. Like night and day.

I just wonder if it’s a goalie thing or what...

@IPv6Freely - I can see that and my head spins with certain requests that are too open as well!!! I think the MSH is the best approach. Skates and helmets should fit like a glove and any advise I would give to someone would include that.

Specific to this Bauer case, I don't believe the difference between the Supreme and Vapor goal skate is that drastic. I believe the 1X has about 3mm more volume. I think a lot of people are close to Supreme and Vapor gives them the extra needed room. I feel like that is why we see this request or complaint a lot around Bauer right now. People bought Supreme because it was the only cowlingless skate at retail for 12 mo

In my own specific case, I think I am lucky? I have a pretty good idea what my "perfect fit" would be, but I can get by with many other products. I look at as an A+ fit vs an A-/B+ fit. If it was worse than that, I would not wear it. 

In the case of the VTX lid I am testing, I have a narrow deep face. I think in Bauer world, the 960 M/L would be the "perfect fit". However, the Size 2 VTX fits pretty darn solid and I don't feel unsafe wearing it. For it to be perfect, I would need some depth on the back of the helmet. The Size 3 had that depth, but it was just too wide for my face. That would not have been safe and that's why I opted away from it and into the 2. For me, I want to test as much gear as possible. Sometimes that means rolling with the A- fit and not that A+ fit.

Unless there is a comfort issue from a bad design, I will not let it bog down my review. I think I will have a pretty comprehensive review of the VTX, it's features, performance, and general comfort... but it is up to the potential consumer and retail outlet to make sure they are getting the best fitting equipment. 

I have nightmare feet to fit: super narrow heels with super wide toes. NOTHING fits off the shelf, except for the last Reebok pump skate. Needless to say, before VH, I just tried on every single skate in my price range. 

Needless to say- I can’t imagine asking for a skate recommendation without putting out what my feet are like!

I was thinking about this since my last post... 

Look at jeans today... There used to be like 1 fit per brand. Now there are 20 per brand. If you are shaped differently than a manikin, this is great because you now have options! However, tall skinny people still have the most choices because everything will fit them. 

Maybe it shouldn't be that shocking that a "neutral" foot could fit into multiple skate models?

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

In the case of the VTX lid I am testing, I have a narrow deep face. I think in Bauer world, the 960 M/L would be the "perfect fit". However, the Size 2 VTX fits pretty darn solid and I don't feel unsafe wearing it. For it to be perfect, I would need some depth on the back of the helmet. The Size 3 had that depth, but it was just too wide for my face. That would not have been safe and that's why I opted away from it and into the 2. For me, I want to test as much gear as possible. Sometimes that means rolling with the A- fit and not that A+ fit.

You know where I stand on this. If neither fit2 nor fit3 was going to fit you perfectly, the best option would have been to pass it on to somebody else who can review it. As somebody who swears by the NME series and won't wear anything else, I would have been the perfect candidate. 

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

I was thinking about this since my last post... 

Look at jeans today... There used to be like 1 fit per brand. Now there are 20 per brand. If you are shaped differently than a manikin, this is great because you now have options! However, tall skinny people still have the most choices because everything will fit them. 

Maybe it shouldn't be that shocking that a "neutral" foot could fit into multiple skate models?

That's fine as long as stores stock every size of every fit (they generally do for Levis, for example). This is one HUGE reason Graf died. They had a fit for everyone, but stocking all the fits in all the sizes was a nightmare for retailers. 

@IPv6Freely - Agreed. That gets back to Supreme issue. People bought that skate because it was readily available and they liked the tech. Not because it properly fit them. 

I also think that it's the perfect reason True is succeeding. They are filling the niche that Graf left. However, there is no overhead for the retailers and they are keeping up with the trends and materials.  So they beat Graf at their own game. 

8 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

@IPv6Freely - Agreed. That gets back to Supreme issue. People bought that skate because it was readily available and they liked the tech. Not because it properly fit them. 

I also think that it's the perfect reason True is succeeding. They are filling the niche that Graf left. However, there is no overhead for the retailers and they are keeping up with the trends and materials.  So they beat Graf at their own game. 

Sort of. I mean, they definitely fill the "we have something for everyone" niche. However they did it by making custom boots, rather than having a million different models. 

Archived