Mammoth Tender Bag

bunnyman666

I have not used mine yet, nor have I received it, but I am going to chronicle my experiences from ordering to long-term use.

For a little background, two or so years ago, these guys had a kickstarter campaign. I already had a custom bag on order with another firm, but liked what they were doing; I bought one of their bottle openers that comes on the bag. Their bags are made for the beer leaguer, with features like a built-on bottle opener. What also spoke to me was the real carry handle.

My journey for a good goalie bag has been long and frustrating. Either the quality was poor or the features were lacking. My Bauer wheeled bag was full of quality and longevity problems. My Eagle carry bag does not really have carry handles; it was designed for pros to throw it onto a cart. 

I had troubles ordering from the website. Erik Olson, a company owner cheerfully called me back to rectify the problem. Unlike many startups that feature "stock" items (and aren't quite upfront about the fact that the so-called "stock items" are actually built when ordered), my bag is in the mail today!  I am not going to wait three business days (which is becoming an annoying trend with smaller stores) and then go nuts wondering where my stuff is! They have (so far) conducted themselves in an exemplary manner.

The proof is in the product, so stay tuned. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Put your pads in it?

If all my stuff wasn't oversized probably could. But the 44 in CCM I tried , and yes it fit. I actually returned it because it was too big.

True is also making goalie bags that looked pretty big.

But it's like everything, if you have no issues with the price, you get what you pay for It will probably be your last bag.

16 minutes ago, goalie said:

If all my stuff wasn't oversized probably could. But the 44 in CCM I tried , and yes it fit. I actually returned it because it was too big.

True is also making goalie bags that looked pretty big.

But it's like everything, if you have no issues with the price, you get what you pay for It will probably be your last bag.

I can see where you're coming from.

Yes, I can justify this IF it lasts.

We'll see...

2 hours ago, kippewit said:

I own a CCM wheeled goalie bag. In the past six months:

- the stitches on the front teared

- the stitches on the back teared

- there's a hole on the top near the handles

- the fabric started to fray out

- the zipper broke 

That's why I bought this one. And the Grit tower is reputed to have longevity issues.

8 minutes ago, Hills said:

If you want a bag that lasts you just buy the Pro style bags made of tarpaulin or heavy duty nylon. I have a jrz Pro bag that can fit my bag that costs $80 and it's the same bag Pro teams use.

Does JRZ sell direct?

21 minutes ago, Hills said:

If you want a bag that lasts you just buy the Pro style bags made of tarpaulin or heavy duty nylon. I have a jrz Pro bag that can fit my bag that costs $80 and it's the same bag Pro teams use.

I have an Eagle now, but the handles are not long enough. Nice bag, just not right for me.

The biggest difference is that the Tender bag is made for an average beer leaguer, rather than a pro who just throws it on the cart. Again- if you can make the handles work on a pro bag, more power to you. This has a padded shoulder strap with metal hardware, mesh compartments, heavy zipper, and uses truck tarpaulin. 

3 hours ago, goalie said:

...But it's like everything, if you have no issues with the price, you get what you pay for It will probably be your last bag.

Yeah, that's what I thought when I shelled out about $190 for a wheeled Vaughn goalie bag in 2012. Within a year the entire body had separated below the handle line and is just about useless. It is a design flaw they should have seen coming (actually saw another goalie with the same bag and exact same issue.) For the record, I am about as gentle with a goalie bag as possible - always lower it gently to the ground form the tailgate of the truck and slowly slide it down stairs on the custom skids I added - none of this flump, flump, flump from stair to stair.

I am now considering going old school (what we used to do before the day of the "dedicated" goalie bag) and buying a cheap forward bag, to house all my stuff but the leg pads which I will sling over my shoulder. It's either that or I get some HD material and make my own. I'm getting pretty tired of the poor quality s**t they are passing of at exorbitant prices because it's "goalie-specific".

I pulled it out of the mailing bag last night, and it was worth the price. Mesh compartments for tape, etc., outside zippered compatment for other items, aluminium handles on the ends, seat belt material for the strapping, and a REAL shoulder strap with padding round out the features this bag has. I always felt that the nylon web handles on my Eagle bag would eventually wear out from being incorrectly used.

I understand some peoples' concern with the price of this bag. But this bag goes well above what an Eagle or JRZ bag goes. Where the Eagle has carry handles, the Mammoth bag has super reinforced shoulder strap and has aluminium end handles. The mesh compartments are a plus. The zipper is heavy duty. Heavy hardware is on every part. This bag takes a pro bag and gives it features for people who carry their own stuff. This is made for regular players who also need to carry extras. You could even pack a small cooler.

If you are satisfied with the spartan features of a Pro bag, don't buy this bag. If you find a pro bag lacking, THIS is your bag. 

Archived