The Cage Thread

TheGoalNet

Post all cage related topics here... 

Not 1... but 2 clappers to the face last night. 

Time for a new cage and I was lucky enough to get 1 coming for the CCM pro department. 

I figured this was a good excuse to dedicate a thread to cages and replacement cages. 

IMG_7453.JPG

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

LOL we could merge some of my pix from my thread about my drop in group taking too many head shots! 

Two in a game! How was the lightshow?

Honestly, huge believer is my mask after that. Other than the cage bending to the point where it's touching my face, no issues of ringing, etc 

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

I am always worried about Ti cages, though that one looks reasonably stout. Ti is a great material, but if it were me designing it, it would be slightly larger wires. That's just me. Though like I said, at least in pix, that one looks pretty good.   

I don't have the calipers required to measure this, but it's definitely beefier than the retail steel version. This is from the CCM Pro Department and that's why I'm trusting it. 

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

I have replaced two cages in the past six months where I play. Not to mention getting buzzed in the cage a few times in a game. 

@TheGoalNet I hope the trend of face shots stops for you.

11 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Do you play on your stomach or something? :giggle:jk

I am a decent size guy, 6"2'. If I see someone winding up from the circles, I come out, gain as much depth as I can, and drop to a blocking a butterfly. I would assume guys aim to shoot high five hole, don't have the control to pick their spot, and that's how it ends up in my face when I drop? 

But yeah, this is a new phenomenon in the last 6 months. It's weird? Something with new kick points on sticks?

Just heard a cool rumor from a credible source. Fleury is getting a gold cage for Vegas and they are testing special types of paint for it. I am trying to track down photos of it and will post when / if they become available. 

15 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I am a decent size guy, 6"2'. If I see someone winding up from the circles, I come out, gain as much depth as I can, and drop to a blocking a butterfly. I would assume guys aim to shoot high five hole, don't have the control to pick their spot, and that's how it ends up in my face when I drop? 

But yeah, this is a new phenomenon in the last 6 months. It's weird? Something with new kick points on sticks?

Almost any player can shoot hard with composite sticks. But they usualy can´t aim. Got one to head yesterday evening - not hard one, but completly unnecessary. Just he can´t aim.. or didn´t even try (?)  

• 6 months later...
43 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I’m not anti cat eye. I wear one! I just think people underestimate the safety difference

I used to wear one as a defenseman and when I started playing goal. The vision is undeniable, for certain! But I am short enough where likely when in the butterfly, I WILL get hit in the cage! I have had enough close calls that the cateye is NOT for me! 

I may end up in certified if I get a shiner like the goaler in this thread whilst wearing a cheater. Touch wood- nothing yet!

Both my Protechsport have cat's eye cages. Wanted to try a cheater cage out but Michel told me he would have to drill new holes in the shells before they would fit. So I went out bought a Bauer Pro department Lundqvist mask off eBay and picked up a cheater cage from goaliecages website. I do like the cheater cage alot but still getting use to the sightlines with cage. 

The reason I wanted to try one was some tournaments and men's leagues up here I Canada because of insurance reasons have banned the use of cat eye cages. You can get away with cheater cage because of the smaller eye openings and more bars on them.

I switched to a certified cat-eye some years ago and I can still see as well as a pro cat-eye. You soon forget that the extra bar is there, and it's much safer. I have a slight ding in one of the bottom bars and having seen what can happen on a good one timer, I prefer playing it safe.

Archived