2019/2020 Beer League Discussion

seagoal

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I swear the league is trying to sabotage my stats.

Untitled.png.f191b62f73d31525040e87f7662981a1.png

I had 51 shots against that game. But noooooo, lets just pretend he only faced 11.

Worst part is they got the correct number for the other goalie at 47.

Get fucked. :facepalm:

Just curious, but how do you know there were 51 shots against? I wish I had the shots/save % metric to help me out, but like I said earlier in this thread, just getting the score right is a challenge for some scorekeepers in my new league; keeping track of shots is a non-starter

2 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Just curious, but how do you know there were 51 shots against? I wish I had the shots/save % metric to help me out, but like I said earlier in this thread, just getting the score right is a challenge for some scorekeepers in my new league; keeping track of shots is a non-starter

There's a shot counter on the actual scoreboard. So the scorekeeper (sometimes) keeps count of the shots against.

Which makes it worse since they were keeping track and then they decided not to properly upload it.

10 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

There's a shot counter on the actual scoreboard. So the scorekeeper (sometimes) keeps count of the shots against.

Which makes it worse since they were keeping track and then they decided not to properly upload it.

But it's still someone in the arena who is actually counting the shots against; we don't have that. Not sure what it would take - or if anyone other than goalies and stats geeks would care - but I'd love to have that.

Just now, Lucky Pucker said:

But it's still someone in the arena who is actually counting the shots against; we don't have that. Not sure what it would take - or if anyone other than goalies and stats geeks would care - but I'd love to have that.

It's definitely a nice addition. I can't figure out how people "count their own shots".

I feel  like those people are just liars.

5 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

It's definitely a nice addition. I can't figure out how people "count their own shots".

I feel  like those people are just liars.

Wait a minute - you mean I can just lie about the number of shots to make myself look good  count my own shots?

Well, then - problem solved! Good chat - thanks Coop!

Our league pays scorekeepers/shot counters.  They mostly do a good job.  There are a couple who are on their phones too much.  The mist dramatic miscount I can remember was maybe 10 shots.  It's mostly stuff in tight down low in multiple shot situations that are missed.

8 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Our league pays scorekeepers/shot counters.  They mostly do a good job.  There are a couple who are on their phones too much.  The mist dramatic miscount I can remember was maybe 10 shots.  It's mostly stuff in tight down low in multiple shot situations that are missed.

Yea, same as ours. We have the odd teenage girl that keeps count by being on her phone the whole time. Can barely operate the clock properly let alone count shots.

We also have this old fat dude that sometimes gets into it with guys that take penalties. It's the weirdest fucking thing to watch.

3 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Yea, same as ours. We have the odd teenage girl that keeps count by being on her phone the whole time. Can barely operate the clock properly let alone count shots.

We also have this old fat dude that sometimes gets into it with guys that take penalties. It's the weirdest fucking thing to watch.

Ha, I love that. 

1 minute ago, Flyers27 said:

@coopaloop1234 The score keepers at Coquitlam can be brutal, I've given up on the stats there. I played there the other night and it seemed okay, but that girl on her cell phone...they count empty net goals against you too so I take anything I see there with a grain of salt.

Oh no worries there. I've played there exclusively for 3 years, and in total for 8. I know how rough it can be. :giggle: But that last post I had was just erroneous.

Hell, they've given me a hat trick before.

8 hours ago, seagoal said:

I'm playing in two leagues that track shots. One is pretty good, normally within three or four shots; the other has been undercounting my shots against by ~10 per game. (And, by their counting, I've still faced the most shots per game of any goalie in the league)

4 hours ago, Colander said:

I believe you mean goals against average....

Oh no! You're absolutely right. :facepalm::$

Especially hard to compare Save percentage with anyone, seeing as how they don't keep shot totals in my league. Of course even if they did, it would not provide me with a save percentage worth posting and boasting about... LOL!

I've edited the post. Cheers for the sharp eye, @Colander !

Sweet.  What kind of locker rooms do you guys get when you play in these arenas?  From my first hand experience when I've played beer league games at the Nassau Coliseum they made us get dressed in the sides of the ramp way where the zamboni enters the ice.  They put up some curtains and a few of us were lucky enough to get a chair.  When I played at MSG we didn't get an actual locker room but we were put in the dressing rooms where I would imagine bands/singers/etc would be spending their time off stage.

The refs are absolutely brutal in Grand Rapids, MI. One game I was literally pulled out of the net and dragged behind the goal by a player and they scored and counted it. Another time we had the puck in our zone, did a break out, made it to the other end of the ice, about 30 seconds later, mean while we have had the puck the whole time with the ref with his arm up. I skate to the bench for the extra attacker. couple seconds later the other team touches the puck and the whistle blows for a penalty on us. Also had it where the puck was lodged between the white nylon and the net on the back of the net for a good 10 seconds, no whistle, puck squirts out finally and they score. Ref told me its his discretion to blow the whistle, yet USA hockey states that the puck can only be on the back of the net for a maximum of 3 seconds before an automatic whistle. Also had it where the net was knocked off by the other team by a good 2 feet, one of my players is telling the ref the nets off, play continues for 30 seconds, then we get a 2 and a 10 for "talking" to the ref. It has gotten to the point where its almost not fun sometimes because of how bad the reffing is.

45 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Sweet.  What kind of locker rooms do you guys get when you play in these arenas?  From my first hand experience when I've played beer league games at the Nassau Coliseum they made us get dressed in the sides of the ramp way where the zamboni enters the ice.  They put up some curtains and a few of us were lucky enough to get a chair.  When I played at MSG we didn't get an actual locker room but we were put in the dressing rooms where I would imagine bands/singers/etc would be spending their time off stage.

In both cases we use the standard visitor rooms which are super nice, way better than any other rink's best rooms.  The home locker room in either case is off limits to us.

Both of these arenas' rooms are carpeted,  perfectly climate controlled,  have fridges,  huge stalls, great showers , and clocks to keep track of the time in the game before you.

It's a treat to play in these, for sure.  Plus the ice and boards and glass and benches are all really nice.

The one thing about these though is the lights are very bright and they can be warm on ice.  In Everett, in particular, the seats are dark green so when we play there and it's empty, the puck can be difficult to track on rising shots that go above the boards.

40 minutes ago, seagoal said:

In both cases we use the standard visitor rooms which are super nice, way better than any other rink's best rooms.  The home locker room in either case is off limits to us.

Both of these arenas' rooms are carpeted,  perfectly climate controlled,  have fridges,  huge stalls, great showers , and clocks to keep track of the time in the game before you.

It's a treat to play in these, for sure.  Plus the ice and boards and glass and benches are all really nice.

The one thing about these though is the lights are very bright and they can be warm on ice.  In Everett, in particular, the seats are dark green so when we play there and it's empty, the puck can be difficult to track on rising shots that go above the boards.

Yea I assumed the actual home team's rooms were off limits.  Wasn't sure if the arena would allow a bunch of nobodies like us into even the main visitor locker rooms.  Awesome that they allow that.  

4 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Yea I assumed the actual home team's rooms were off limits.  Wasn't sure if the arena would allow a bunch of nobodies like us into even the main visitor locker rooms.  Awesome that they allow that.  

Yeah, I remember one Sunday a while ago they mislabeled the rooms and I walked into the one marked as ours and it was filled with Spokane Chiefs gear....and it smelled like death.  It was horrible.

The Thunderbirds arena has 6 guest rooms and the Silvertips arena has 4, I believe.

Archived