Trouble with my C/A. Help me pick a new one!!!

First off the padding and material in the intermediate and senior lines aren't the same at all. I have a Warrior Ritual G2 Intermediate Chest Protector and have been hit multiple times in multiple different places all hurting. These places include the ribs, the shoulder, the collar bone next to my neck, the side of the arm, the front of the arm, and the neck. I would never ever recommend Warrior to anyone.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry for you. Did you try to readjust it, play with the straps, make it tighter or looser? If the straps at the upper back are too loose, it may opens up the collar part on the front and expose it.

Is it the right size for you? Having opening at the ribs and arms may be a sign that the unit is too small or too big for you (if your straps are tighten well).

I have the Pro Ritual Classic and never been hurt in it. I'm 5'9" and 210 lb and I wear medium size.

I used to use Warrior swagger goalie pants and recently used a Sr. set of G3 pads and gloves for a month.  Had 0 issues with protection/durability.  Also, understand that C/A's are a funny thing.  I have a Vaughn V6 2200 Pro Carbon in s/z Medium and get dinged up all the time, most likely because I wear it snug to my body, so you might be surprised by what you can and will feel in a chest protector.  

Don't know how old you are, but as coop eluded to, Intermediate is a kids size and thus made to only withstand young shooters.  Don't be mistaken by the SIZE of a unit, Sr. level and Pro level are all that's generally recommended for 16 and up.  I would even argue that kids younger than that can give you a good pop in a pro level chesty these days.

Agree with jayluv54, it is about who you play against. Got a chance to train with players in age of maybe 14-16 from the top category for few days this summer. Those boys can shoot like I never imagine they could, glad to have Pro C&A, when they occasionaly hit me - instead of top corners :D.

In my opinion intermediate gear is not just about size, because it is not designed for play against senior players (padding etc.), maybe on realy low category of players... 

20 hours ago, Awgoalie164 said:

First off the padding and material in the intermediate and senior lines aren't the same at all. I have a Warrior Ritual G2 Intermediate Chest Protector and have been hit multiple times in multiple different places all hurting. These places include the ribs, the shoulder, the collar bone next to my neck, the side of the arm, the front of the arm, and the neck. I would never ever recommend Warrior to anyone.

Can you share what level of shooter you are playing against? 

Maybe a pic of you in the unit to see if there are fit issues?

7 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I betcha buddy doesn't return to comment on his thread.

He's just a kid. I agree there's a lesson to be learned about not ripping on things needlessly... but let's make sure we are still making him feel welcome! 

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

He's just a kid. I agree there's a lesson to be learned about not ripping on things needlessly... but let's make sure we are still making him feel welcome! 

I had to restrain myself from being myself here. Poor kid kinda ended up learning a lesson at his expense. I was in my 30's when my lesson was learnt; I hope he is a bit younger by the time he learns his. 

At least it wasn't a dogpile by a bunch of old men.

Well, unfortunately for the OP,  it's his or her loss if he/she doesn't return. I think even in the short life this thread has seen (to the point of this post) you guys offered up some gold on what his possible issues may be with the gear.

We all vent about stuff (I'm the president of my own fan club) but if people are offering possible solutions or at least input to your situation and you choose to ignore it, man, you're gettin' nowhere fast

22 hours ago, Ghostender said:

Well, unfortunately for the OP,  it's his or her loss if he/she doesn't return. I think even in the short life this thread has seen (to the point of this post) you guys offered up some gold on what his possible issues may be with the gear.

We all vent about stuff (I'm the president of my own fan club) but if people are offering possible solutions or at least input to your situation and you choose to ignore it, man, you're gettin' nowhere fast

Some people take criticism as a personal attack, and they take any opposing viewpoint as criticism. I hope this is not the case. It is shocking for someone who had a poor experience and thought other would feel the same to hear defense after defense of same product maker.

I do hope the youngster returns, maybe having learnt a lesson.

The OP stated “First off the padding and material in the intermediate and senior lines aren't the same at all. “ Well, yes, that’s how this stuff works.

I will add we are only speculating the OP is a youngster based on the assumption of size (intermediate CA). That alone doesn’t necessarily equal age (ask me or FR :o)

I have to assume the OP is probably out of high school. Why? Because usually up to the end of HS parents pay for the gear, (although there are exceptions - present company included) and if you haven’t paid for it, you usually don’t care that much if it’s a wash- no pennies out of your pocket.

But again, too bad the OP doesn’t join back in – could probably get a lot of good advice here. Strange to post a 1 entry rant and never return – gotta wonder why…

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2017 at 1:10 PM, chakal said:

Sorry for you. Did you try to readjust it, play with the straps, make it tighter or looser? If the straps at the upper back are too loose, it may opens up the collar part on the front and expose it.

Is it the right size for you? Having opening at the ribs and arms may be a sign that the unit is too small or too big for you (if your straps are tighten well).

I have the Pro Ritual Classic and never been hurt in it. I'm 5'9" and 210 lb and I wear medium size.

Ya I did I've done it with every single strap and it's been about ? 2 years sense this has started now

On 7/19/2017 at 1:48 PM, jayluv54 said:

I used to use Warrior swagger goalie pants and recently used a Sr. set of G3 pads and gloves for a month.  Had 0 issues with protection/durability.  Also, understand that C/A's are a funny thing.  I have a Vaughn V6 2200 Pro Carbon in s/z Medium and get dinged up all the time, most likely because I wear it snug to my body, so you might be surprised by what you can and will feel in a chest protector.  

Don't know how old you are, but as coop eluded to, Intermediate is a kids size and thus made to only withstand young shooters.  Don't be mistaken by the SIZE of a unit, Sr. level and Pro level are all that's generally recommended for 16 and up.  I would even argue that kids younger than that can give you a good pop in a pro level chesty these days.

Yes this is true however I'm 13 and facing varsity and college level shots and I'm too small for Senior and pro at the moment so it's a HUGE problem

On 7/20/2017 at 0:53 AM, mik said:

Agree with jayluv54, it is about who you play against. Got a chance to train with players in age of maybe 14-16 from the top category for few days this summer. Those boys can shoot like I never imagine they could, glad to have Pro C&A, when they occasionaly hit me - instead of top corners :D.

In my opinion intermediate gear is not just about size, because it is not designed for play against senior players (padding etc.), maybe on realy low category of players... 

Ya but what about goalies like me who are too smal for Senior and pro but need that level of protection??? 

On 7/22/2017 at 10:52 AM, Ghostender said:

The OP stated “First off the padding and material in the intermediate and senior lines aren't the same at all. “ Well, yes, that’s how this stuff works.

I will add we are only speculating the OP is a youngster based on the assumption of size (intermediate CA). That alone doesn’t necessarily equal age (ask me or FR :o)

I have to assume the OP is probably out of high school. Why? Because usually up to the end of HS parents pay for the gear, (although there are exceptions - present company included) and if you haven’t paid for it, you usually don’t care that much if it’s a wash- no pennies out of your pocket.

But again, too bad the OP doesn’t join back in – could probably get a lot of good advice here. Strange to post a 1 entry rant and never return – gotta wonder why…

Not really. I'm 13 and playing 10 hours of hockey a week right now. I have to get up at 5:30 AM and stay the whole day at the rink. When I finally do get home I put my stuff away, take a shower, and go to bed. I don't have enough time to be checking everything all of the time. Hockey is my life and future. I will use the site when I need to. 

1 hour ago, Awgoalie164 said:

Ya but what about goalies like me who are too smal for Senior and pro but need that level of protection??? 

Understand you. That is the common problem when younger goalie plays/train e.g. with senior or college players. His gear is significantly smaller and can not absorb the impacts. But if you don´t fit even to small senior/Pro size, oversized gear is not way to go.

You can try reinforce some problemattic places, but real solution is that older players do not shoot with full force in practice on younger goalie. Some of their shots are realy hard even for senior goalies in pro gear ;) .

Of course getting a custom unit from someone like Passau, Brown or Battram would be a solution. They could build top level protection into an intermediate size chest protector. A young woman I know got a Passau CA because she was having similar issues. She loves hers. 

6 hours ago, Awgoalie164 said:

Tough spot when your in between sizes bud.  Have to go custom or find someone who can mod what you have or alter the smallest pro model you can find until it fits.  You can trim areas of padding that might be too large and/or shorten arms if you get creative enough.  Trust me, you play this position long enough and your always going to be messing with your gear, even when you can fit into and buy whatever you want.  Even the pros do it.  My advice to you if you can't get something else would be to go buy some foam, even a sleeping mat in the camping section of Walmart works good, and start gluing and sewing.  Another idea would be to get yourself a good roller hockey padded shirt and wear it underneath, adds a decent buffer and extra padding.  If you want help with this, a lot of us on here have been where you are and beyond and can help if you ask.  We can show you how to add/trim padding and how to add eyelets and lacing to C/A arms to shorten them.  This site is a wealth of experience and knowledge, "use" it as you see fit.

Archived