How do you lot train dryland for puck handing?

My stick handling was marginal as a skater. I did three things: 

1) strip the puck in the corners

2) make an outlet pass

3) block shooting lanes

So, as a goalie, I am trying to prevent my D from having to skate all the way back.  I am using a piece of plexiglass and a Verbero multi-surface puck. I work the stick with my gloves.

Anything else I need to do?

What I've found has helped the most is acquiring this thing called "talent". I really don't know what it is, but everyone keeps saying I need to obtain it.

I've tried every store in the area and none seem to stock it. None of the big 3 have it either. I'm really stumped, but hey, it's what I've heard is necessary.

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

What I've found has helped the most is acquiring this thing called "talent". I really don't know what it is, but everyone keeps saying I need to obtain it.

I've tried every store in the area and none seem to stock it. None of the big 3 have it either. I'm really stumped, but hey, it's what I've heard is necessary.

Thanks for the helpful answer.

12 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

@bunnyman666 Maybe throw on your C/A too?  Mimic the reduced range of motion you'll have with your arms when on the ice.  

Also like @coopaloop1234 pointed out, most of us lot have a problem with LOFT when puck handling.

That wouldn’t be a terrible idea. 

Goal sticks flex so differently than forward sticks. This is actually helping me formulate how I will build my sticks.  A heel curve helps me sauce with a forward stick. Hmmmm...

10 hours ago, Naz said:

@bunnyman666 make sure if you are practicing dryland you devise some sort of platform for the bottom of your shoes.  Remember being on skates makes you several inches taller and changes the angle of how you hold the stick.

I switched to a taller paddle, so my older, short-paddled sticks will be used for this. Good thought!

5 hours ago, dreadlocked1 said:

Inline skates will help with that.  Goalie skates, even better.

Great thinking!!!

On 10/29/2019 at 10:02 AM, coopaloop1234 said:

Dude let me know if/when you come across that.  I've been looking for it forever.  My teammates would be so thankful as well.

What do you guys use for an "ice" surface? I want to start practicing my puckhandling but can't find something A wide and long and B cheap. I've seen the synthetic ice surfaces on hockeyshot etc, but it's like 70 bucks for a surface that would still be too small.

I've been practicing with foam balls in my garage on the smooth concrete floor.  Looked into all the surfaces for purchase.  I'm broke and just use my beater 3rd backup stick so I'm not worried about wear on the blade.  The foam balls are helping me with the mechanics of shooting lefty.  It's helped alot the past 6 months.

Archived