CCM Premier Pro Chest Protector or Bauer Vapor 1X Chest Protector?

Awgoalie164

So I'm 13 and I just started playing varsity hockey. I've gotten a ton of stingers now with my Warrior Ritual G2 Chest Protector so it's time for a new one. I've tried both a CCM Premier Pro Senier Small and Bauer Vapor 1X Senior Small Chest Protector on and to be perfectly honest I hate them both, however I need something with tons of protection. They both are extremely stiff and bulky and they both are around $600 dollars. I'm at a bit of a confusing crossroad and wondering which one would be the better deal with the best protection and breaks in fairly easy and fairly fast. Does anyone have any experience with either of these? If so please let me know so I can get a new one as soon as possible. 

If you're willing to spend $600, you might as well get a C/A from one of the smaller companies like Passau, Brown or Battram to build you a unit to your exact size with pro level protection. Their turnaround times are better than the major manufacturers custom equipment timetables. 

12 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

If you're willing to spend $600, you might as well get a C/A from one of the smaller companies like Passau, Brown or Battram to build you a unit to your exact size with pro level protection. Their turnaround times are better than the major manufacturers custom equipment timetables. 

Thanks for that info

1 hour ago, Awgoalie164 said:

Ya I just don't want it to still be stiff when the season starts

How much time do you have before your season starts? 

Most C&As break in quickly these days. I'd look at either Brian's units, V7 with beef up, or contact @GoalieTimmy33 about a Passau.

With custom, Passau can make anything you want 

IMO, Brian's is the beefiest you can buy as stock retail, V7 with beef up kit is a nice blend of lightweight and mobility 

3 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Most C&As break in quickly these days. I'd look at either Brian's units, V7 with beef up, or contact @GoalieTimmy33 about a Passau.

IMO, Brian's is the beefiest you can buy as stock retail, V7 with beef up kit is a nice blend of lightweight and mobility 

Well depends on what level I play. If I play Junior Varsity or Varisty about a month and if I play bantams about 2-2.5 months

3 hours ago, GoalieTimmy33 said:

Thank you for the kind words!! Would love to help with a custom chest protector!

Well I live in the U.S and wnay something that is snug to my body with pro level protection that will still last about 3-4 years sense it would be so expensive

3 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I'm not a real fan of Vaughn to be perfectly honest just because of the fit on me with everything and it's the same wiht Brian 

AW - at best your CA will last you 2 years at your age.

The NXG pro is a very good unit for your age and the protection is very good, you should look for either a model that is 1-2 years old new or a used CA

my 2 cents

1 hour ago, Big2 said:

AW - at best your CA will last you 2 years at your age.

The NXG pro is a very good unit for your age and the protection is very good, you should look for either a model that is 1-2 years old new or a used CA

my 2 cents

K thanks for your input 

3 hours ago, Awgoalie164 said:

Well depends on what level I play. If I play Junior Varsity or Varisty about a month and if I play bantams about 2-2.5 months

That is lot of time for breaking in C&A. But you can allways help it by dressing it at home. Maybe it looks silly, but it works :D, even with skates.

I use NXG and protection is realy good, but it is bulky too. 

If I can choose any C&A, I would go custom Passau - had a chance to see their "Pro pac 2" (sorry if this is not correct marking) which two of my friends use, and I was realy amazed. Looks fantastic.

9 hours ago, Awgoalie164 said:

I'm not a real fan of Vaughn to be perfectly honest just because of the fit on me with everything and it's the same wiht Brian 

Give the V7 a try if you can, it will be very light and flexible right out of the box and offer the right amount of protection.  Like others have said though, your right at the age when your going to hit a growth spurt, so don't be surprised if this thing only lasts you a year.  I recommend trying to find a good used one on Ebay, it will save you a ton of money and when you outgrow it in a year, throw it right back on Ebay and get most of your money back to put towards the next one.  Smalls are always well priced because they don't sell very quickly.  I know you don't like Warrior, but believe me its not the company its just your using the wrong level of gear, but there is a Small Ritual Pro on Ebay right now for $250.  Big2's NXG would be a good deal as well.  

1 hour ago, jayluv54 said:

Give the V7 a try if you can, it will be very light and flexible right out of the box and offer the right amount of protection.  Like others have said though, your right at the age when your going to hit a growth spurt, so don't be surprised if this thing only lasts you a year.  I recommend trying to find a good used one on Ebay, it will save you a ton of money and when you outgrow it in a year, throw it right back on Ebay and get most of your money back to put towards the next one.  Smalls are always well priced because they don't sell very quickly.  I know you don't like Warrior, but believe me its not the company its just your using the wrong level of gear, but there is a Small Ritual Pro on Ebay right now for $250.  Big2's NXG would be a good deal as well.  

I am trying to resist the urge for Big2's CA.

7 hours ago, mik said:

That is lot of time for breaking in C&A. But you can allways help it by dressing it at home. Maybe it looks silly, but it works :D, even with skates.

I use NXG and protection is realy good, but it is bulky too. 

If I can choose any C&A, I would go custom Passau - had a chance to see their "Pro pac 2" (sorry if this is not correct marking) which two of my friends use, and I was realy amazed. Looks fantastic.

Ok

1 hour ago, jayluv54 said:

Ok thanks 

4 hours ago, goalie said:

This will go on forever. Best to go to one of the big stores and see if you like anything. You can also contact the custom makers for wait times. For my 2 cents for custom protection nobody beats John Brown.

This I agree with!

The "C&A Shootout" posts are common and I love how helpful and passionate everyone is. However, a C&A is probably the most personalized piece of gear that there is. 

Just consider all the variables:

• tuck or wear out
  • prioritize the order of protection, mobility, and overall weight. You almost always sacrifice one of these to achieve the other 
  • Style of play; blocking vs hybrid 
  • Want a loose fit or tight fight 
  • How much adjustability do you want
  • How long will you own it
  • What level do you play 
  • Do you want waterproof or modern moisture wicking materials 
  • Can you wait for custom or do you need stock
  • oh yeah... budget

@Awgoalie164 I hope you realize we are not trying to complicate this, but this is a tough one! 

Based on all of the feedback, do you what models you are going to most closely look at? 

14 hours ago, Awgoalie164 said:

Well I live in the U.S and wnay something that is snug to my body with pro level protection that will still last about 3-4 years sense it would be so expensive

We can make that happen.  We make gear for goalies all over the world and our chest protectors in particular are regarded by many as the best in the industry.

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

This I agree with!

The "C&A Shootout" posts are common and I love how helpful and passionate everyone is. However, a C&A is probably the most personalized piece of gear that there is. 

Just consider all the variables:

• tuck or wear out
  • prioritize the order of protection, mobility, and overall weight. You almost always sacrifice one of these to achieve the other 
  • Style of play; blocking vs hybrid 
  • Want a loose fit or tight fight 
  • How much adjust-ability do you want
  • How long will you own it
  • What level do you play 
  • Do you want waterproof or modern moisture wicking materials 
  • Can you wait for custom or do you need stock
  • oh yeah... budget

@Awgoalie164 I hope you realize we are not trying to complicate this, but this is a tough one! 

Based on all of the feedback, do you what models you are going to most closely look at? 

For sure passau (P.S. I don't know how to spell it) but also Bauer and CCM because I'm most use to the Bauer and CCM feel

Archived