Replacing Knee Stacks

Max27

on my ef2 760 pads that ive used the last 3 years theyve really broken down and the knee blocks both feel cracked. is there any after market company that i could buy knee stacks to put into my pads in the meantime? I plan on getting new pads as soon as possible but idk when that will be. 

Think I've posted this before somewhere, but replacing the foam in the knee stack is fairly easy job - I did it to my G-netiks after using them for about three years. 

Order a sheet of HD foam from eBay, take the stacks out and use a seam ripper to unstitch them at one end , old foam out, use it as a template to cut the new foam, put the new foam in. If I remember correctly I made mine a bit thicker than they came stock too. 

Coincidentally I just upgraded a friend's EF2 760's earlier this year.   As was mentioned above it's not an overly hard mod, but it is made a little more difficult by the fact that the 760 knee stacks aren't removable.   Still, it's fairly easy overall.  Instead of using a single type of foam I actually used two different densities. Both were much firmer than what was in there but the grey layer below is softer than the black layer and provides a little cushioning.   I sourced some upholstery web adhesive to glue the two layers together and they're holding up great.  Before the mod my bud was actively looking for new pads, now he's planning to keep these for at least another season, maybe two.  In the photo below you can see how poor the foam used in the low end pads really is.

Eric's knee stacks.jpg

57 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

Coincidentally I just upgraded a friend's EF2 760's earlier this year.   As was mentioned above it's not an overly hard mod, but it is made a little more difficult by the fact that the 760 knee stacks aren't removable.   Still, it's fairly easy overall.  Instead of using a single type of foam I actually used two different densities. Both were much firmer than what was in there but the grey layer below is softer than the black layer and provides a little cushioning.   I sourced some upholstery web adhesive to glue the two layers together and they're holding up great.  Before the mod my bud was actively looking for new pads, now he's planning to keep these for at least another season, maybe two.  In the photo below you can see how poor the foam used in the low end pads really is.

Eric's knee stacks.jpg

Dual density is going to likely make the knee stacks not only perform better but likely last longer.

PAW does this and makes good ones. I’d use email to reach her. 

can I ask if there is an opportunity for new pads? Those pads are well worn by this point in time and I’m not sure that investing money in them makes sense? Buying a used set of EF3 or .9 might be a better choice and get you with an overall better pad 

A few months ago I replaced the foams in a set of CCM R1.5's for around $35 (including shipping) from Sara at PAW. I did 1" LD45 and 1/4" EVA. Don't have the exact number as I bought some other stuff from her at the same time. It probably would have been less if I would have gotten the EVA pre-cut but I wanted some extra material to play around with for other projects.

I think it took me around an hour start to finish to rip out seams, trim the foams and sew them back up all while still attached to the pad. I think you could get away with not stitching them back up due to the sandwiching of the stack with the inner and outer knee flaps.

15 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

I would agree with not needing to stitch the seams back up.  I didn't bother with my friend's and they've worked fine for him.

Yeah it would have been a 20 minute job then. Stitching them backup while still on the pad was the most time consuming part.

On 12/1/2019 at 12:50 PM, TheGoalNet said:

PAW does this and makes good ones. I’d use email to reach her. 

can I ask if there is an opportunity for new pads? Those pads are well worn by this point in time and I’m not sure that investing money in them makes sense? Buying a used set of EF3 or .9 might be a better choice and get you with an overall better pad 

im getting new pads within the next month. just wanted to see if in the meantime i could fix them

Theyre absolutley shot and everything is beginning to come apart on them. I just know that whatever pad i get into next im gonna have a rough transition cause theyre gonna be significantly stiffer and i wanna know i can fall back on these during the transition period. Besides softening and the elastics being incredibly streched the knee stack foam cracking internally as well as some of the corners wearing out, theres not a ton of wear.

Archived