Jump to content
Dero

Optik 2 vs Gnetik IV

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I want to hear the people who have used these pads opinions on how they play and how different they really are.

im a goalie who is more of a hybrid style and would usually go for a gnetik pads but I’ve heard some things about the rebounds being really soft and I like the opposite and prefer hard rebounds. so as you can see I’m in the middle of both pad groups.

my plan was to go with optik 2 max core in order to get that “s” curve along with adding a leather boot strap and utilizing their optional professor strap to get the responsiveness that the optik 2 is lacking but that the gnetik 4s have... thoughts???

Edited by Dero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Dero said:

I want to hear the people who have used these pads opinions on how they play and how different they really are.

im a goalie who is more of a hybrid style and would usually go for a gnetik pads but I’ve heard some things about the rebounds being really soft and I like the opposite and prefer hard rebounds. so as you can see I’m in the middle of both pad groups.

my plan was to go with optik 2 max core in order to get that “s” curve along with adding a leather boot strap and utilizing their optional professor strap to get the responsiveness that the optik 2 is lacking but that the gnetik 4s have... thoughts???

Are you ordering stock or custom? If you plan do custom, you could probably get exactly what you want for a minimum up charge. I don't think Brian's would beat you up too bad to add a professor strap to the GNetik IV.

Although mine is heavily custom, I have used Optik 1, GNetik IV, and Optik 2. All of them have an S curve the shape should not be of concern.

The question is... Do you want a soft pad or stiff pad? Do you want the pad to feel like just your leg when you go down or do you want to the feel like the pad like a box in front of your leg?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 1/2/2020 at 11:58 AM, TheGoalNet said:

Are you ordering stock or custom? If you plan do custom, you could probably get exactly what you want for a minimum up charge. I don't think Brian's would beat you up too bad to add a professor strap to the GNetik IV.

Although mine is heavily custom, I have used Optik 1, GNetik IV, and Optik 2. All of them have an S curve the shape should not be of concern.

The question is... Do you want a soft pad or stiff pad? Do you want the pad to feel like just your leg when you go down or do you want to the feel like the pad like a box in front of your leg?

for my pads, i want a pad that feels connected, like an extension to my leg, which would be the gnetik 4. ive never really worn a "box" pad, as before the pads i wear now (gnetik 8.0)  i used bauer reactors. i also asked other goalie guys on instagram how the rebounds of the gnetik 4s and optik 2s compare because i wouldnt mind going with a hard rebound pad, thats why i was thinking optik 2. they said (specifically hockey reviews ca, who got custom gnetik IVs) said the rebounds were as soft as eflex 4s. 

so yea i think i would mostly fit into the category of wanting a pad that feels like an extension to my legs while still having hard rebounds. thats where my thoughts of getting the optik 2s with a leather boot strap and to use that optional professor strap that comes with it. 

also a question for you, are you planning on posting a review of your optik 2s?

what do you think @TheGoalNet

Edited by Dero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2020 at 11:58 AM, TheGoalNet said:

Are you ordering stock or custom? If you plan do custom, you could probably get exactly what you want for a minimum up charge. I don't think Brian's would beat you up too bad to add a professor strap to the GNetik IV.

Although mine is heavily custom, I have used Optik 1, GNetik IV, and Optik 2. All of them have an S curve the shape should not be of concern.

The question is... Do you want a soft pad or stiff pad? Do you want the pad to feel like just your leg when you go down or do you want to the feel like the pad like a box in front of your leg?

@TheGoalNet I’m also very new to ordering custom so any help would be MUCH appreciated 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2020 at 11:29 PM, Dero said:

for my pads, i want a pad that feels connected, like an extension to my leg, which would be the gnetik 4. ive never really worn a "box" pad, as before the pads i wear now (gnetik 8.0)  i used bauer reactors. i also asked other goalie guys on instagram how the rebounds of the gnetik 4s and optik 2s compare because i wouldnt mind going with a hard rebound pad, thats why i was thinking optik 2. they said (specifically hockey reviews ca, who got custom gnetik IVs) said the rebounds were as soft as eflex 4s. 

so yea i think i would mostly fit into the category of wanting a pad that feels like an extension to my legs while still having hard rebounds. thats where my thoughts of getting the optik 2s with a leather boot strap and to use that optional professor strap that comes with it. 

also a question for you, are you planning on posting a review of your optik 2s?

what do you think @TheGoalNet

Rebounds off a GenIV won't be as hard as an Optik, but are definitely not as soft as Eflex. 

I personally think a softer "more movable" pad works better with softer rebounds. They are much easier to control.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Aquilzz said:

Rebounds off a GenIV won't be as hard as an Optik, but are definitely not as soft as Eflex. 

I personally think a softer "more movable" pad works better with softer rebounds. They are much easier to control.

i just went to my retailer today and was looking at both pads.

hes a very old school guys and when i was looking at blockers he actually said to me a blocker is just a blocker dont waste your time.

but he said that there isnt much difference between the two lines and that id be fine with the optiks. he said the rebounds are very similar and play very similar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dero said:

i just went to my retailer today and was looking at both pads.

hes a very old school guys and when i was looking at blockers he actually said to me a blocker is just a blocker dont waste your time.

but he said that there isnt much difference between the two lines and that id be fine with the optiks. he said the rebounds are very similar and play very similar

Nope.  Not even close.  That's a retailer that has lots touch with the lines.  Especially depends on how you spec the flex zones on the IV and the core on the Optik

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cwarnar said:

Nope.  Not even close.  That's a retailer that has lots touch with the lines.  Especially depends on how you spec the flex zones on the IV and the core on the Optik

i agree i even said to my dad that this guy had zero clue what he was talking about but hey thats all i got near me! ha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cwarnar said:

Nope.  Not even close.  That's a retailer that has lots touch with the lines.  Especially depends on how you spec the flex zones on the IV and the core on the Optik

i think im gonna go with optik pads and blocker along w a GNetik 4 double T skate lace game ready pocket, with the optik 2 graphic. im also gonna pick and chose a few things from the tgn spec optik 2s to go along with what i like on a pad, hopefully everything works out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Dero Where are you ordering from? It sounds like you should get something close to the TGN Spex GNetik IV.

Call The Goalie Crease and ask for Rance. He will help you out.

GNetik IV

4 Boot, 3 Knee, 2 above knee.

Extra HD on the face of the pads for rebounds

That will give you some good torsional flex and harder rebounds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2020 at 10:58 AM, TheGoalNet said:

Are you ordering stock or custom? If you plan do custom, you could probably get exactly what you want for a minimum up charge. I don't think Brian's would beat you up too bad to add a professor strap to the GNetik IV.

Although mine is heavily custom, I have used Optik 1, GNetik IV, and Optik 2. All of them have an S curve the shape should not be of concern.

The question is... Do you want a soft pad or stiff pad? Do you want the pad to feel like just your leg when you go down or do you want to the feel like the pad like a box in front of your leg?

Does it really feel like a box that much? I am getting new pads and I have heard so much good about the optik 2 but I play a more hybrid/fast moving style. Surely I can still move around well in them once broken in correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m in this same debate right now. 
 

so the questions I’ve been floating are these:

”Get GNetik, but go with their stiffest option with soft boot?”

”Get Optik2, but go Flex option with soft boot?”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RyanR3KC said:

I’m in this same debate right now. 
 

so the questions I’ve been floating are these:

”Get GNetik, but go with their stiffest option with soft boot?”

”Get Optik2, but go Flex option with soft boot?”

If you want stiff pads with a soft boot get optik 2 MAX core or even FLY. Boot is pretty soft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the input Johnathon. 
 

im coming from a Warrior GT2 Senior so i was also interested in the Bauer 2X

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2020 at 4:04 PM, RyanR3KC said:

Thanks for the input Johnathon. 
 

im coming from a Warrior GT2 Senior so i was also interested in the Bauer 2X

I came from a Warrior GT1 Pro.  I'm now in Optik 2 Max Core Pads.  The boot is soft but due to the torsional stiffness the Optiks will play boxy and taller compared to Warrior.  After a few skates you won't notice the difference.

Butterfly in the Optik 2 is the most solid I've used and the Primo is next level sliding (you'll over slide a ton until you adjust).  And the hot rebounds are an added bonus.

I used 2X Pro demos for a skate in the summer and they were much stiffer overall when compared to both the Optik 2 and GT Pro.

Edited by cwarnar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cwarnar said:

I came from a Warrior GT1 Pro.  I'm now in Optik 2 Max Core Pads.  The boot is soft but due to the torsional stiffness the Optiks will player boxy and taller compared to Warrior.  After a few skates you won't notice the difference.

Butterfly in the Optik 2 is the most solid I've used and the Primo is next level sliding (you'll overslide a ton until you adjust).  And the hot rebounds are an added bonus.

I used 2X Pro demos for a skate in the summer and they were much stiffer overall when compared to both the Optik 2 and GT Pro.

thats good to hear.

im talking to a guy right now that works with pure goalie. his name is wack and is the one who does the reviews (the one with the shorter beard) and he says he would recommend the gnetik IVs to anyone who doesn't play a slide drop block style of play.

i personally would normally go for a pad like the gnetik IV is but i really want a pad that gives off hard rebounds. That's why i was thinking to go with the @TheGoalNet spec on the extra hard foams on the face of the pads to get it like the Optik 2s. idk how much the foams affect the pad or if they get the rebounds anywhere near as lively as the Optik 2s but its worth a shot.

also if you dont mind me asking how much did it cost extra to get custom graphic Brian's in your profile pic (im only asking because i like minimalist design on pads and am curious)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, cwarnar said:

I came from a Warrior GT1 Pro.  I'm now in Optik 2 Max Core Pads.  The boot is soft but due to the torsional stiffness the Optiks will player boxy and taller compared to Warrior.  After a few skates you won't notice the difference.

Butterfly in the Optik 2 is the most solid I've used and the Primo is next level sliding (you'll overslide a ton until you adjust).  And the hot rebounds are an added bonus.

I used 2X Pro demos for a skate in the summer and they were much stiffer overall when compared to both the Optik 2 and GT Pro.

Was there much of a sizing difference? I'm 35 + 1.5 in my current pads

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RyanR3KC said:

Was there much of a sizing difference? I'm 35 + 1.5 in my current pads

I was wearing a 33 + 1.5 in my Warriors. I'm now in a 32 + 2 Optik 2.. Brian's does fit larger then a few other brands. Rance rom the goal crease got me sized up perfectly. Although due to the stiffer core my Optiks feel a little taller and I noticed the thigh rise banging together more than my warriors did. I lilely could have got away with a 1.5 on the thigh versus the two

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

I was wearing a 33 + 1.5 in my Warriors. I'm now in a 32 + 2 Optik 2.. Brian's does fit larger then a few other brands. Rance rom the goal crease got me sized up perfectly. Although due to the stiffer core my Optiks feel a little taller and I noticed the thigh rise banging together more than my warriors did. I lilely could have got away with a 1.5 on the thigh versus the two

GT1's were also super soft. I still notice mt GT2 thighrises bumping into each other

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, cwarnar said:

I was wearing a 33 + 1.5 in my Warriors. I'm now in a 32 + 2 Optik 2.. Brian's does fit larger then a few other brands. Rance rom the goal crease got me sized up perfectly. Although due to the stiffer core my Optiks feel a little taller and I noticed the thigh rise banging together more than my warriors did. I lilely could have got away with a 1.5 on the thigh versus the two

Do you Lundy Loop or strap under the boot? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RyanR3KC said:

Do you Lundy Loop or strap under the boot? 

No boot.  They're useless with modern pads.  I ordered mine without, I had also removed it from my previous GT1s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey all, this is actually my first post, but I've been reading the site for a while, so thanks for all the great discussion.

For those who are apprehensive about the Optik setup, I was a Vaughn loyalist for years, V1-5; loved the feeling of a soft hybrid pad.  I had heard Brian's was doing some interesting things with weight and strapping, and since I'm in my 30's now,  I thought losing some of the weight/bulk would be beneficial.

I got a pair of Sub-Zero 3's and never looked back.  I had never used a stiffer pads before, but I thought it would help with 5-hole shots and it seemed to be where the gear was trending.  Once you get used to the pad rotating around your leg, instead of with it, you're golden. I much prefer it to the older style.

I'm coming from a set of Optik and just ordered a set of Optik 2 in the FLY pattern, so if you are open to the MAX configuration, or even FLX if you really want to ease into the transition, I'm sure you would have no problems. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2020 at 8:51 AM, TheGoalNet said:

@Dero Where are you ordering from? It sounds like you should get something close to the TGN Spex GNetik IV.

Call The Goalie Crease and ask for Rance. He will help you out.

GNetik IV

4 Boot, 3 Knee, 2 above knee.

Extra HD on the face of the pads for rebounds

That will give you some good torsional flex and harder rebounds

So would a 4:1:1 be too stiff for a Genitik 4?

watched your pad review again on the IV’s. Did you a comparison video on Optik 2 vs Gen IV? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, RyanR3KC said:

So would a 4:1:1 be too stiff for a Genitik 4?

watched your pad review again on the IV’s. Did you a comparison video on Optik 2 vs Gen IV? 

It wouldn’t be “too stiff” you would just have to get used to it. I personally went from gnetik 3 pads which have a 5 at the boot and ankle and 2 at thigh and used for over a year and it was basically a 5:5:5 at that point the thigh was so flimsy. And I just switched to damn optik 2 max core 1000X stiffer. Only used once cause I’m right by playoffs, BUT I can tell u I’m confident I’ll be good in them once I break them in. At first it’s pretty hard to play in them though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2020 at 1:14 PM, RyanR3KC said:

So would a 4:1:1 be too stiff for a Genitik 4?

watched your pad review again on the IV’s. Did you a comparison video on Optik 2 vs Gen IV? 

thats also something ive wondered about, like what if i just got optik 2 FLX. like what would that do? and would it even be worth it? like normally im a "gnetik IV" style goalie but i want a hard pad and if i don't go max core would there really be a point in going the optik 2 route when i could just go with a hard gnetik pad in like a 4:2:1 configuration or maybe a 4:3:1 

who knows 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...