The Evolution Of Pad Design

Doobiesnax

I'm just getting into playing again after about 15 years and wondered into the local hockey mega store.....  WTF happened to pads?  I'm assuming that as the predominant style of play has gone extreme butterfly the pads shaped changed to accomodate five hole coverage?  Just goofing around with some new sets they seemed more like formed boards than the pads that i once wore  (Last set were Vaughn Visions circa 98). 

This style.

vaughn-vision-vpg-3500-leg-pads-34_1_6e1d05b9f451dc44c2a386682a05826c.jpg.51d99c0ba642a2c1f0783cc24b4d8521.jpg

Can someone give me a quick breakdown of what and why the design seemed to change so drastically?  I have never felt as old as i do right now.... and i'm only 36 lol.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're pretty much correct about the butterfly taking over pad design. Or more likely that the pad design has changed to facilitate a stronger butterfly approach.

With the flat face, squared top and mostly square boot (tapers do exist, kinda), today's pads are designed to maximize the space they can take up as well as translate to efficient butterfly style moves. Like backside recoveries and new post integration techniques.

While most of the pads are moving towards the stiff style, there are still a few "soft" pads available. Velocity, Gnetik and CCM. But, newer versions of these do incorporate all of the new philosophies in their overall shape, aside from more flex in the main areas (boot, knee, thigh) and possible torsional flex. These pads will break in and soften up eventually, but they do remain stiffer than what you're going to be used to.

It's funny, I had a pair of Boddams as a youngster that were very similar to this new squared off style.  Where more flat foam rather than the traditional tubular design.  Were made from some sort of synthetic and had clips instead of buckles.... i guess Boddam was ahead of its time back then!

2 hours ago, Doobiesnax said:

It's funny, I had a pair of Boddams as a youngster that were very similar to this new squared off style.  Where more flat foam rather than the traditional tubular design.  Were made from some sort of synthetic and had clips instead of buckles.... i guess Boddam was ahead of its time back then!

If you look through old catalogs, there's a ton of pads that were ahead of their time. Unfortunately, some good designs don't catch on because they're too radical, are not elk marketed, or they don't get a pro in the pad to "validate" them. 

Gear ahead of its time would be a great thread... 

Are you going to buy new gear?

3 hours ago, Doobiesnax said:

The funniest thing is that many cost saving measures became pro features. 

If you did ANY butterfly back in the day, you will absolutely love the new pads.

You might be best in a Warrior Ritual GT or an old model Bauer Reactor. 

22 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

If you look through old catalogs, there's a ton of pads that were ahead of their time. Unfortunately, some good designs don't catch on because they're too radical, are not elk marketed, or they don't get a pro in the pad to "validate" them. 

Gear ahead of its time would be a great thread... 

Are you going to buy new gear?

I had to grab a new chesty as the old one one now only covers half my well earned beer belly, but I figure I'll play a few games and go from there.  I'm actually really interested to try out out some new gear though.  Like most goalies, I'm a gear slut.

12 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

The funniest thing is that many cost saving measures became pro features. 

If you did ANY butterfly back in the day, you will absolutely love the new pads.

You might be best in a Warrior Ritual GT or an old model Bauer Reactor. 

I definitely had a hybrid style back in the day, we will see how the old knees hold up now though. 

Thanks for the suggestions! 

Just get a current set of pads. Don't sweat the 'I like the old style BS'. The old pads suck relative to the newest pads no matter what style you think you play. Modern flat pads work well if you play the same as Bernie Parent or Karri Takko. Plus they are so light and nice to play in.  Woot.

I'm in the same boat. Just a bit older than you. Took a decade off from playing after high school. Got some V2s that look almost like your pads that I've been playing with forever. 

Just last month finally got some new pads. (Bauer 1X) as my old ones were starting to finally break down. 

So strange at first. But I really like them now. Posters above me are correct. The lightness of the new pads is awesome and even though I went to an 11" pad from a 12" before, the new pads are way better. 

@Doobiesnax - I think what's interesting is that a lot of trend and themes from even before your Vision pads are still going strong. Looking for lighter weight materials, new ways to strap the pads on, and how to make them butterfly better. No offense to Vaughn, but your Vision pads were not all that "progressive" for their day. Vaughn however was a disruptor with the Velocity for sure!!! 

Agreed they where pretty standard in terms of design.  I'm excited to try out some new pads as lightness alone seems like a no brainer.  I'm guessing that  the +1 and +2 rise would be the hardest thing to get used to for a guy used to a more traditional style of pad.  @1C5 those 1X look crazy.  The sizing is crazy as well with the small , medium, large ....  Is there a nib dispenser built into these?

15 hours ago, Doobiesnax said:

Agreed they where pretty standard in terms of design.  I'm excited to try out some new pads as lightness alone seems like a no brainer.  I'm guessing that  the +1 and +2 rise would be the hardest thing to get used to for a guy used to a more traditional style of pad.  @1C5 those 1X look crazy.  The sizing is crazy as well with the small , medium, large ....  Is there a nib dispenser built into these?

Because of NHL sizing rules, the whole giant thigh rise movement is gone. Most retail pads are a +1 size and it won't be that crazy for you. 

Are you able to order a custom set?

17 hours ago, Doobiesnax said:

The Medium, Large, XL isn't new thing...

48396bdf0785a5c2cc84a0462a0f940a.jpg

Cooper sold their GP line of pads in M, L, XL and if you were the man, XXL:

ronhextall.jpg

3 minutes ago, Doobiesnax said:

Al-Gore-cereal.jpg

I was watching Cops last night between innings of the super intense Phillies/Marlins doubleheader - there was an older episode on where the cops were discussing burglars who are targeting houses and stealing VCRs. Was thinking how crappy it would be if you were caught stealing VCRs then and sentenced to a term longer than the time we stopped using VCRs. Imagine being at the parole board and having to explain what a VCR was to them.

Now I can't give them away. Those crooks should have waited a few years.

Archived