New Playoff Format

dstew29

Pretty pumped to see the NHL step up and be first to market with live league games (knock on wood). That said, there was one nuance to the playoff format that was a bit of a head scratcher when I heard it. Does anyone have a clear understanding of what the "round robin" games will accomplish for the top 8 teams while the 16 (I think) on the cusp teams play their best of five "play-in" series games?

It sounds like these are exhibition games that mean nothing for seeding purposes, but are meant to give the top seeds some live game looks while they wait for the real playoff to begin? I would expect there should be something "on the line" to incentivize them to win these games, but I didn't pick that up from the couple commentator explanations I watched. Anyone know the answer?

Viva la Rangers!!!

My understanding is that for the teams that are for sure in, is that the games they were to play are only so they can get their game back in shape. So yes, exhibition. I did hear talk that they might make those games count for something to re-seed the playoff brackets once they get it down to 16 teams. So that would make the games less an exhibition type and more of a fight for placement. Obviously that won't give anyone home ice advantage, but would potentially give them a better match up (I.E. 1st VS. 8th). 

I expect that once we get closer, more information will be released that'll clear all this up. But that's what I've read so far and my understanding. (So take it with some salt)

11 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

The top 4 teams in each conference play each other round robin to decide their seeding for the next round against the play-in winners.

Thanks, and way better this way IMO. No one wants to play or see preseason games in the playoffs.

Honestly I think its kinda dumb.  It makes what those teams did in the regular season almost irrelevant(obviously aside from getting a bye from the play in round).  Looking at the Eastern Conference, Boston finished 1st with 100 points and Philadelphia 4th with 89 points.  If Philly does better than Boston in the round robin they'll get seeded ahead of Boston.  That just doesn't make sense to me.  Seed them 1-4 and let them play exhibition games to get their feet wet.  if they don't wanna air "exhibition" games then don't put them on tv.  Leave the play in round for tv.

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Honestly I think its kinda dumb.  It makes what those teams did in the regular season almost irrelevant(obviously aside from getting a bye from the play in round).  Looking at the Eastern Conference, Boston finished 1st with 100 points and Philadelphia 4th with 89 points.  If Philly does better than Boston in the round robin they'll get seeded ahead of Boston.  That just doesn't make sense to me.  Seed them 1-4 and let them play exhibition games to get their feet wet.  if they don't wanna air "exhibition" games then don't put them on tv.  Leave the play in round for tv.

I initially thought that too, but I think the “bye” from the play-in round is sufficient award for their records and rank when play stopped (unless you mathematically had your rank locked up - Boston?) But if there was a mathematical chance the seeding could have shifted through season end then I get proving out your seeding again now. Especially since any momentum, slumps, minor injuries, etc are out of the equation now with all this time off.

The time off just makes it all seem like a new season is starting. Will be very interesting to see who can shake off the rust and who can’t.

55 minutes ago, dstew29 said:

I initially thought that too, but I think the “bye” from the play-in round is sufficient award for their records and rank when play stopped (unless you mathematically had your rank locked up - Boston?) But if there was a mathematical chance the seeding could have shifted through season end then I get proving out your seeding again now. Especially since any momentum, slumps, minor injuries, etc are out of the equation now with all this time off.

The time off just makes it all seem like a new season is starting. Will be very interesting to see who can shake off the rust and who can’t.

What I bolded is an excellent point, I had not thought of that.  

• 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, RichMan said:

So Habs won their series. Who's our next opponent? I don't understand the format.

Montreal is the #12 seed, they will play the highest ranked seed. Flyers are 2-0 as well as Tampa, Montreal will play the winner of their game on Saturday.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2020 at 9:00 PM, RichMan said:

So Habs won their series. Who's our next opponent? I don't understand the format.

After every round, the survivors are re seeded on their seed entering the tournament. So the Habs will always be the lower ranked team until they're knocked out.

Now that NBA playoffs are starting (always the same time as the NHL?), so what little coverage the NHL was getting will now cease to occur in the US. Sad.

The NBA is talking about becoming a summer championship league with opening NBA day on Christmas. Will be good for us hockey fans as the NHL playoffs will now be alone during that time of the year. Although, I feel that the NHL needs to tighten up the playoffs so that the cup is raised before memorial day.

On 8/17/2020 at 11:40 AM, MTH said:

After every round, the survivors are re seeded on their seed entering the tournament. So the Habs will always be the lower ranked team until they're knocked out.

Now that NBA playoffs are starting (always the same time as the NHL?), so what little coverage the NHL was getting will now cease to occur in the US. Sad.

The NBA is talking about becoming a summer championship league with opening NBA day on Christmas. Will be good for us hockey fans as the NHL playoffs will now be alone during that time of the year. Although, I feel that the NHL needs to tighten up the playoffs so that the cup is raised before memorial day.

I am pretty sure that I read they were going back to the reseeding format too but I think it was actually just for this round.  I keep seeing the NHL Bracket Challenge advertised by the NHL and you can't really have a bracket when there is reseeding.  That leads me to believe that there will not be reseeding going forward.

• 3 weeks later...

So can we speak about our Lord Savior Thatcher Fucking Demko?

Untitled.png.ea9f9d6f3e4d0af7c1524b5a5bd7114f.png

Kid is single handingly dragging Vegas to a game 7 and wasting Mechessault's time and forcing him to suck his moms titties.

For the unaware --> https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2020/08/26/jonathan-marchessault-goes-off-on-instagram-commenters-after-being-accused-of-diving-during-game/?fbclid=IwAR3XpeS-MSaRWgJYLBK1CV9LtzGfWtHEubhBiNaR25-Wg3Z2-tLdzmQiIpk

Praise thee

deeuylt5qv821.thumb.jpg.a55448d5ef035c1a67ac4b237f15c652.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived