Pad Strapping Database

TheGoalNet

Post pics of pros strapping with the date and any notes you have the set up.

Flyers Camp - Sep 17

Alex Lyon 

Switched from Premier to Vaughn SLR. Knee to claf & lundy loop. Looks pretty stock. 

IMG_9248.JPG

Nuvy - Switched from V4 / V2 combo to CCM. Knee block leather strap is below the knee at the calf + Lundy loop 

IMG_9249.JPG

Elliot Knee leather strap is across the knee + Lundy loop 

IMG_9250.JPG

Hart - Really loose knee leather strap across the knee + traditional boot strap 

IMG_9251.JPG

• 3 months later...

How does this topic not get blown up on a daily basis??? Personally I love this stuff... far more interesting than any other equipment fitting. The relatively recent changes in size regulations have put strapping on the forefront of differentiation for manufacturers. This topic could be 50+ pages with all of the variations used across leagues worldwide along the rational behind each setup. Definitely and underused topic that I will help contribute to whenever possible.

5 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

How does this topic not get blown up on a daily basis??? Personally I love this stuff... far more interesting than any other equipment fitting. The relatively recent changes in size regulations have put strapping on the forefront of differentiation for manufacturers. This topic could be 50+ pages with all of the variations used across leagues worldwide along the rational behind each setup. Definitely and underused topic that I will help contribute to whenever possible.

I had just clicked on this topic to ask why it's so interesting to people.. lol. Different strokes, I guess!

I'm curious to know if anyone else does their straps the same way every time because of a quirk/mental thing/tradition? I know for me, It's the same hole on each leather strap (only have two velcro straps on current pads and 4 leather). The top one(from top to bottom), that really doesnt do anything, is 6th hole, second is 3rd, third is 3rd hole, and fourth is 6th hole. Played around trying to find the right way to get it just tight and lose feeling in the right spots.

1 hour ago, loki1416 said:

I'm curious to know if anyone else does their straps the same way every time because of a quirk/mental thing/tradition? I know for me, It's the same hole on each leather strap (only have two velcro straps on current pads and 4 leather). The top one(from top to bottom), that really doesnt do anything, is 6th hole, second is 3rd, third is 3rd hole, and fourth is 6th hole. Played around trying to find the right way to get it just tight and lose feeling in the right spots.

I don't do it for any of the three reasons you suggested, but I do it the same way every time because I found what works for me. Not a single leather strap on my pads, though. 

47 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

I cannot understand how some guys are still running 3 leather straps on their calf and 2 on the knee.  Especially with knee and calf lock Velcro.  

Can I borrow a couple grand? I'll switch right now.:idk: I would imagine most people are rocking straps because they are in older pads or it's what they grew up in. Me on the other hand, I can't wait to switch!

I'm messing with you Warner. I have thought about doing a swap myself lately but I don't have the knowledge or tools to pull it off myself. I'm looking forward to the day I'm not using leather!

1 minute ago, cwarnar said:

There's tons of DIY methods for replacing leather straps.  I did some of this and using some other products from Monster Hockey refurbished my old Smith set. 

Plus there's usually great deals on used pro or Sr gear 

I edited my post while you were replying. I can assure you Monster will never get any of my money again. Any other places offer kits?

1 minute ago, Pauly35or00 said:

I edited my post while you were replying. I can assure you Monster will never get any of my money again. Any other places offer kits?

There's a few.  Fixmygear.ca.  There's also a guy in Alberta that was doing accessories.  I can't remember his name. Five hole goal maybe? If you Pm me I can help you as well

16 hours ago, loki1416 said:

I do this just to make sure I get the same feel every game.

14 hours ago, cwarnar said:

I cannot understand how some guys are still running 3 leather straps on their calf and 2 on the knee.  Especially with knee and calf lock Velcro.  

I hear that, BUT: I just got my first new pads in 13 years, and I specifically requested the 3 straps on the calf, two on the knee, etc. I understand that to some goalies, this is akin to buying a computer that runs Windows '98. But it was just a personal touch I wanted, for a few reasons:

• This isn't very progressive... but it's what I've always used, and it's always worked well for me. "If it ain't broke..." etc.
  • When I consider my level of play and the goals I let in, I don't believe the few extra ounces of leather strapping is ever going to make a difference in making a save or allowing a goal. I completely understand why NHL goalies, who should seek every little advantage, would feel differently.
  • I play once, maybe twice a week. I get to the rink pretty early so I can take my time getting dressed and have fun with my teammates, and I don't even notice the extra 100 seconds it takes for me to buckle my straps. Again, if I had to put on my pads every day, I might feel differently.
  • I still like my pads relatively snug and secure.
  • It has its uses, but I generally detest velcro. I like to keep my gear for a long time, and velcro tends to get so warped and fuzzy after a while, and the straps lose their elasticity. I plan to wear these pads into the ground or until I retire, whichever comes first... buckles seemed to be a better option for the long-run.
  • This one's silly, but almost all of my favorite goalies as a kid had the 3-2 strapping, and now it's just something that appeals to me, visually.

I totally get why people think this strapping setup is antiquated, and I don't really blame them - I definitely weighed my options and considered whether I was making a mistake. Ultimately, it just comes down to preference, like so many things we discuss on this board. I just wanted to show people that there are reasons to opt for an old-fashioned strapping system other than total ignorance ;-]

*For the record, these pictures were taken when the pads were right out of the box. I've made new holes in several of these straps, and shortened several of them to avoid having a foot of slack after I buckle them. Don't worry, I am adept at cutting the straps so that the ends are a rounded point like they originally were.

unnamed-4.jpg

unnamed-2.jpg

Archived