Questions regarding strapping setups

jwags2201

Hey guys, just picked up a set of eflex 3’s and had some trouble with them. My leg seemed far away from the actual leg channel when I usually have them tight and flush. The calf straps seemed tight though? Also, this is my first time connecting the strap at the knee to my calf. My knee was extremely low on the knee block when in my butterfly, and sometimes missed it completely. Would strapping across the knee again help that? Thanks for any help!

• 7 months later...

Bringing this back to ask a question:

How the hell do you guys (pros and amateurs) wear your pads with the knee elastic crossed down to the calf area and not miss the knee landing when going into your butterfly or scrambling around or stretching for a toe save? I already have this issue while wearing my knee elastic in the traditional fashion and have to cinch the knee strap close to tight to help prevent my knee from sliding off the knee block to the side.

45 minutes ago, RichMan said:

How the hell do you guys (pros and amateurs) wear your pads with the knee elastic crossed down to the calf area and not miss the knee landing when going into your butterfly or scrambling around or stretching for a toe save? I already have this issue while wearing my knee elastic in the traditional fashion and have to cinch the knee strap close to tight to help prevent my knee from sliding off the knee block to the side.

Good question.  For me and my setup....a tight professor strap on the upper calf.  It seems to me this is the primary thing preventing my pad from separating from my leg at any given moment, thus, keeping my knees on the landing every single time.  I am on my 2nd pair of pads now with this setup, about 4 years now, and not once have missed the landing.

Edited by seagoal
wrote thigh instead of calf

With my Warrior GT pads I've actually never fallen off the knee block. I wear them Warrior stylish loose, knee to calf and lundy, bungee toe.

Haven't really had any chance to examine why but it just seems to do it right.

I've used Vaughn LT88 (well used ones) pads a few times and with them I had a few occasional dropouts. Like mentioned they happened when went from wideish butterfly to stretch. Strapped them the same as my Warriors as much as possible.

From this knowledge I'd say it has something to do with pads being worn and gotten soft but then again my sample size is way too small.

Thikning this in theory; the knee strap going from the edge of the block is way too far out to hold against your weight pushing the knee down and knee block forwards out from under the knee. Which then leads to thinking that the strapping makes the pad to overrotate slightly and with tight strapping your knee adds to the overrotation which leads to knee falling off the block.

Or the pad is overrotating already before the kneeblock hits the ice to get back to level. That would make your knee to hit to the edge of the block as the block is in wrocg angle when going down to ice. This could be from too tight strapping around the ankle (calf-lundy-boot-toe) where the rotating action of the pad starts when going down to butterfly?

I assume your knee falls off the back of the block and not "under" (=too long pad sizing).

I should look for some pictures to replace a few thousand words...

1 hour ago, ArdeFIN said:

With my Warrior GT pads I've actually never fallen off the knee block. I wear them Warrior stylish loose, knee to calf and lundy, bungee toe.

I'll reiterate this, except I don't run a boot strap, so technically even looser. Zero issues.

One thing Warrior has done well is made an almost fool proof strapping system.

3 hours ago, RichMan said:

I'm assuming your knee is falling off the back of the knee block (horizontal) - you've mentioned in another thread about the pads being too tall, and to me that's a pad height issue (vertical).

Here's a blurry screen cap of my setup. Inside the knee layers, my velcro is angled downward, instead of square front and back

No boot strap, just the nylon calf strap at the loosest possible (blue) and the FRS inside which is on the snug side (red at calf).  The FRS keeps my shin locked into the pad, which probably helps my knee stay on the block. 

image.png.8a01fd5017de5f2dd7969aad5162e478.png

Is your knee elastic doubled up, or single?  I've found doubled up gives the best tension.

IIRC you have the Bauer 9000?  You can try wearing the calf strap tighter to help keep your shin locked in to try to simulate the feel of an FRS or professor strap. 
I'm thinking the tighter your shin is to the back face of your pad, the less your knee will separate (circled in red)

Also, try moving the knee elastic in (edit: and up towards the top of the block) towards the face of the pad more between the knee layers (blue arrow), this should help give the elastic a little more resistance to fight to keep your knee on.

image.png.46d95e93d6164585c76b0110667d11ef.png

• Like 2

Yes, I have the Reactor 9000. Yes, it's a double elastic. I have the elastic velcros as deep as I can to still allow my knee pads to fit and also still allow some good rotation. My toe ties are at least 4" in slack, my boot strap is under but floating, the calf strap (not elastic) is snug. I was keeping the bottom knee strap loose but that wasn't working well. I also removed the upper knee strap altogether. 

I see the CCM and Bauer and Brian's and just wonder how all can stay together and not experience what I'm going through. I do give kudos to Warrior for the knee neoprene strap which has less give. I'm very much hoping to get my hands on a pair of their pads.

I look at goalies like Kasimir Kaskisuo and Bonesy and how loose and simple they wear their pads and seem to have zero issues.