Designing a Modern Retro Set

Punisher Goalie

So this damn website has made me obsessed with two things: retro sets and Brian’s gear.

Still incessantly pondering my inevitable Optik set order, but my leading idea is to go for a modern retro set. I was absolutely floored the first time I saw @chakal‘s retro/tan G3 set and then again when he posted the R/GTs in similar colors. For some reason, I love this look. I don’t really want to mimic a vintage pad, I like how the modern shape and style play off the old-timey color.

While I have a primary team, I play a lot of organized pickup, etc. so I just don’t want to commit to a single set of colors in such an expensive set. I feel like the only available options are mostly-white, mostly-black, and retro tan. The tan is particularly appealing because it seems like it goes with any color jersey/uniform. Work works too, but is boring and I have a full set of white SZ3 that I’ll probably just hang on to to be a backup/alt set. Black has a similar appeal to tan, but I just don’t think its as universal.

So here’s what I have built on the Optik customizer and is my leading design so far. Almost all the “retro tan” color, with antique gold air knit on the vents (its the closest option available in air knit). The sliding surfaces have to be black (could be white or gray but don’t think that would work) to be Primo, which I want. I played around a bit with adding accents in Bucky or another brown material but thought it took away from the clean look.

I would LOVE to get some feedback. Open to any suggestions to improve the design. FYI, I don’t know whether they will agree to this but I plan to ask them to remove the “Optik” logo on the lower outer roll area of the boot. 

Please help me before I commit! Thanks!

34AFC391-0954-4410-81BA-1ECFD212B87E.thumb.jpeg.51919544cac151fb4a1827c8197a064b.jpeg

0BA66E33-631D-4E47-8B2A-49AE02B34B1F.thumb.jpeg.44702cb431efab66049410425dc6b41a.jpeg

F20A9BB0-DBB6-4906-8DE6-A8098315D29A.thumb.jpeg.28cffa57dfd191276273ac80ce5c3eb1.jpeg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some people will lambast you for putting retro tan on a modern pad; I say screw it- get what you want! If jenpro never got out of the brown family of colours, this is what a modern pad would look like. 

I think the design looks pretty good as is. Bucky requires some extra care- avoid it with this design. I LOOOOOVE the look as it really looks the part. Maybe it has improved. 

I like the way your design looks. 

33 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Vertical stitch WOULD look hot @TheGoalNet @Punisher Goalie, but please please PLEASE don’t get the waffle face when ONLY one blocker face looks good on Brian’s: the half star in WHITE. THAT is the definitive retro blocker face for retro Brian’s.  

Disagree. Half star didn't exisit when waffle boards did... IMO, it's waffle or 1/2 star. Not a fan of the mash up 

@bunnyman666 @TheGoalNet :

Appreciate the suggestions. I guess what I’m going for here is more about the tan/brown color that trying to achieve a “retro look”. That’s what I think is so cool about @chakal‘s G3s. Maybe I need to design something that has more accents, like a “black and tan” look so that it still fits with the modern style of the Optiks.

Still debating whether all black is the way to go, too. Not that its hard to imagine but if I did it, it would look like this below. Copying @TheGoalNet‘s nice style with matte black with black weave accents:

596FF3EB-6B9B-4855-8C5A-CF2299EE24A3.thumb.jpeg.f12c79532aea814555612ca8bcbf958e.jpegEBC21AEC-0D1B-40DE-8ABB-1B70096EFE98.thumb.jpeg.fb04588104b207c83a788deee307fb56.jpeg6038A8F9-C61C-4891-A3BD-D96B4B85826F.thumb.jpeg.d47b41183f8df3e6a704e96b4f13195f.jpeg

21 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

@bunnyman666 @TheGoalNet :

Appreciate the suggestions. I guess what I’m going for here is more about the tan/brown color that trying to achieve a “retro look”. That’s what I think is so cool about @chakal‘s G3s. Maybe I need to design something that has more accents, like a “black and tan” look so that it still fits with the modern style of the Optiks.

Still debating whether all black is the way to go, too. Not that its hard to imagine but if I did it, it would look like this below. Copying @TheGoalNet‘s nice style with matte black with black weave accents:

i'm all about that all black!!! Ive sat on that optik designer many a time building all black sets!

I'm a big fan of the retro set you posted above. I pretty much made the same set in the designer but I also tried one with bucky in the accent areas as well as matte black in the accent areas. All looked sharp as heck. Also, agree with the waffle board blocker if you're ordering custom.

This board has ruined me. I was sold on a retro set of G's and after @TheGoalNet's Optik review I'm incredibly conflicted now. I've always despised Brian's gloves but the new Optik looks a lot more modern and leans towards something I'd really like. I have months to figure this out though. This is a new year/spring purchase for me.

3 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Disagree. Half star didn't exisit when waffle boards did... IMO, it's waffle or 1/2 star. Not a fan of the mash up 

Actually- waffle was a Cooper, CCM, D&R and Jofa thing; Brian’s, along with John Brown and Vaughn did the plain face thing, Brian’s having a half star. 

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

Actually- waffle was a Cooper, CCM, D&R and Jofa thing; Brian’s, along with John Brown and Vaughn did the plain face thing, Brian’s having a half star. 

That’s my point. I don’t mind a Brian’s throwback to an era long gone, but I think the mash of the eras is too busy 

2 hours ago, cwarnar said:

I've always loved the retro look... If I decide to go custom for my next set (likely G4's) I'll go with something like this

That’s pure filth. That’s exactly what I’m after - for some reason I think it just looks really awesome on the modern flat-faced pad. Black accents really pop on your design. G4s are definitely intriguing but I’m too impatient to wait until April lol. 

8 hours ago, ULTIMA said:

If I can chime in here, this is the way I'd go.

5 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

A little bland for my tastes. 

Interesting set. Looks like the buyer opted for no unnecessary stitching which may contribute to the “blandness”. I love the color though and it looks like it has a non-uniform look up close.

The Warrior “classic” styling kind of illustrates my view on retro sets - the knee “rolls” are just stitched blocks. This is why I did not really like the look of my R/GTs, even though they were great performers. Personally, I would rather go full modern with cool colors, including retro colors or go all the way with the retro look but not “faux retro”. Like I’ve said above, I’m learning toward the former because the Optik have such a performance advantage.

1 hour ago, Punisher Goalie said:

@bunnyman666 very nice design. I especially like how the black pocket looks on the glove against the tan.

Thank you!

I had to play a bit to get the colour combinations just right. I almost pulled out my credit card and bought this set ! I agree with you wanting to get rid of the Optik logos. Of course I am a logo-free guy, any way and would want the B-star logos gone or dramatically muted. I like the “burnt-in” logos, like what is on my Eagle player gloves (genuine goat skin), but I think that would not fly on synthetic leather. 

I think you could refine this mock up a bit further.

7 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

A little bland for my tastes. 

I know what you mean.

I like it, and had a strong, positive reaction because I am from an “elegant simplicity” design school. However, I don’t know if I could live with that long-term. First- I HAVE to advertise (so I can write off the cost of the pads) which would DEFINITELY break up the space. But then again, could I live with them long-term? Dunno. A black outer roll, maybe two of the three knee rolls and black sliding surface would make them a bit snazzier. 

Archived