Opinions on Vaughn Blockers/Gear

Maxpower29

5 hours ago, seagoal said:

Nice man, looks great.  I'm generally not too excited about white gear, but there is something about Vaughn blockers in particular that I really like when in white. I was watching Ottawa the other night and digging Murray's blocker.  I think it must be the font and the Vaughn logo....it's the boldest wordmark in the NHL on goalie gear.  

Those knee pads look slick...so carbony.  Is that outer carbon stuff like a firm plate or is it just carbon looking nylon?

I think you are indeed a new Vaughn whore.  Welcome.  Which reminds me...how old are you?

I'm 39 and have been using Vaughn since I started playing at 12 or 13.  Nowadays I'm using Warrior sticks and knee pads, Bauer skates and jock, and a Sportmask but the rest is Vaughn. 

I'm 34. Played out my whole life on ice so i figure if i bought all nice gear i would stick with it....if that makes sense 

Also at first i bought white because it was the only color left in the gear i wanted. Easy to match. Now I'm use to it so i just got the whole set that way. The two companies I own we bought jerseys and play every week and the white matches them both easily. 

If you don't look coordinated when playing you might as well just go home 

Actually i would have bought the Boston colors if they were available but they weren't. The Eastwing is a Boston copy and Eastern is the TB copy 

received_3474397035931275.jpeg

received_828360771272640.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

I randomly came across this pretty cool video of a guy getting a tour inside the Vaughn factory in Oxford, Michigan.  Tons of good insider looks at their machinery, component parts, historic old gear, current pro spec sheets and folders, etc.  

Even if you don't like Vaughn stuff as a goalie it's neat to get a rare inside look at a manufacturing site.

@A.YOUNGoalie13 you will get to see Quick's folder....it's quite full, as you might imagine.

And more insider footage, this is more conversatonal and more of a guided tour

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 2

After debating for a little and comparing and pricing out different options I think I’m going to order an SLR2 set in the next month or so. It feels more like my 2S pads than ultrasonic does and the supreme gloves and blockers appear to be the exact same as ventus gloves and blockers. The biggest influencing factor was the addition of a calf pillow to SLR2. 
5241EB8F-3FB1-4D3F-99F5-7923FC070147.thumb.jpeg.f4109c9b129056cb2ff60f899a842feb.jpeg

That simple addition  completely changed how the pad felt and suddenly all overrotation issues disappeared. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, seagoal said:

I randomly came across this pretty cool video of a guy getting a tour inside the Vaughn factory in Oxford, Michigan.  Tons of good insider looks at their machinery, component parts, historic old gear, current pro spec sheets and folders, etc.  

Even if you don't like Vaughn stuff as a goalie it's neat to get a rare inside look at a manufacturing site.

@A.YOUNGoalie13 you will get to see Quick's folder....it's quite full, as you might imagine.

And more insider footage, this is more conversatonal and more of a guided tour

Watching during... what class is this? Oh American literature? Eh fuck that, this is way more informative.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

After debating for a little and comparing and pricing out different options I think I’m going to order an SLR2 set in the next month or so. It feels more like my 2S pads than ultrasonic does and the supreme gloves and blockers appear to be the exact same as ventus gloves and blockers. The biggest influencing factor was the addition of a calf pillow to SLR2. 
5241EB8F-3FB1-4D3F-99F5-7923FC070147.thumb.jpeg.f4109c9b129056cb2ff60f899a842feb.jpeg

That simple addition  completely changed how the pad felt and suddenly all overrotation issues disappeared. 

Nice man, hope that happens for you sooner than later.  I really like the SLR pads too and I have worn SLR2 pants for a couple of years now and really, really like them.  The internal belt is great for a snug fit but still maintaining the wider barrel shape of the outer pant.  I personally dislike SLR gloves....they feel very foreign to me....but I think they look sharp with the graphic and have a lot to offer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, seagoal said:

Nice man, hope that happens for you sooner than later.  I really like the SLR pads too and I have worn SLR2 pants for a couple of years now and really, really like them.  The internal belt is great for a snug fit but still maintaining the wider barrel shape of the outer pant.  I personally dislike SLR gloves....they feel very foreign to me....but I think they look sharp with the graphic and have a lot to offer. 

Thankfully every change (with the exception of one aesthetic change) I’ve asked about thus far has been doable at no upcharge. I plan on putting the Vaughn name to the test and pushing this set for 2 years if possible. 

20 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Thankfully every change (with the exception of one aesthetic change) I’ve asked about thus far has been doable at no upcharge. I plan on putting the Vaughn name to the test and pushing this set for 2 years if possible. 

I like your optimism, I just don't think any set of gear will last for two years being on the ice 5 times a week.

47 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

What changes?

The only upcharges I've encountered over the years has been for cut/sewn VAUGHN logos (not the transfers) and on all my gloves I get a leather strap/buckle wrist strap. 

They also used to charge for name embroidery, which is absurd and maddening, but I don't think they do that anymore.

I MAY have placed an order last week....

6 minutes ago, seagoal said:

What changes?

The only upcharges I've encountered over the years has been for cut/sewn VAUGHN logos (not the transfers) and on all my gloves I get a leather strap/buckle wrist strap. 

They also used to charge for name embroidery, which is absurd and maddening, but I don't think they do that anymore.

Jumping into SLR pads?

17 hours ago, seagoal said:

What changes?

It’s a long list but here you go. Anything in bold has been approved so far. Waiting for a response about the rest 

Leg pads

32+2.5

Bindingless outer edge?

Pro stiff thigh

Single internal and external break

Calf pillow

Skate lace toe ties

Nylon leg channel lining

Quickslide top and bottom trim

No boot strap

No knee flap

Blackwood style lower calf strap 

Pro logos

Anchored knee block

V9 knee block

Jenpro outer gusset 

Glove

One piece cuff

Single tee

Pro palm

Pro logos

Blocker

No thumb pillow

Trigger palm no grip

Reinforced sidewall

Pro logos

Extra backhand padding

Edited by ThatCarGuy
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Just thought you’d drop that little teaser there like nobody would notice, huh? 
Pics? Details? Is it that small company you mentioned one time... something with a V... ? Vain...? No, Vine...? Vaughn...? No, that’s not it either...

Edited by Lucky Pucker
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Jumping into SLR pads?

Negative.

V9 Velocity pads now have 4 choices for stiffness above the knee (soft, stock, stiff, extra stiff) and 3 at the boot (soft, stock, stiff).  That was a refreshing change and I took advantage of the chance of getting  Velocity pad in a modern configuration (at least on paper....we shall see). 

I ordered:

Pads - extra stiff up top and stock below.  No outer knee wing, no boot strap. Single break, pro logos.

Glove - leather/buckle wrist strap, stiffened double T , pro palm, pro logos

Blocker - extra padding on the backhand in the glove for a snug/pillowy fit.

I wrote up a whole story about this but it was a bit verbose.  Here are the Cliff's Notes:

-got invited to join a new team in a higher division, where I belong,  with buds, I accepted.  New team, new logo, new jerseys, new colors-black, red, white.  . We start in June.

-leaving my old team with the icy blue colors

-My 40th birthday is in 2 weeks.  I'm married to a supremely awesome person.

-Happy Birthday-I get new gear to match my team.  Mind blown.

-Axis or Ultrasonic gear on Sidelineswap. Yes! No, nothing .  I Ultrasonic set I liked, non-responsive seller.

-Glove game at Pure Hockey: Brian's, CCM, Bauer, Warrior, and Vaughn gloves, try them on blind, what feels best? try 3 times.

-Vaughn, always. Damnit. 

-"you don't need to buy used gear, just go custom.  Just go Vaughn. You know you want to and I'm willing to buy it for you."

-Damnit.

-V9 set ordered.

:)

20210404_205351.jpg

20210404_205407.jpg

20210404_205425.jpg

Skeletons home (white) jersey.jpeg

Skeletons away (dark) jersey.jpeg

5795.jpg

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Negative.

V9 Velocity pads now have 4 choices for stiffness above the knee (soft, stock, stiff, extra stiff) and 3 at the boot (soft, stock, stiff).  That was a refreshing change and I took advantage of the chance of getting  Velocity pad in a modern configuration (at least on paper....we shall see). 

I ordered:

Pads - extra stiff up top and stock below.  No outer knee wing, no boot strap. Single break, pro logos.

I wrote up a whole story about this but it was a bit verbose.  Here are the Cliff's Notes:

-got invited to join a new team in a higher division, where I belong,  with buds, I accepted.  New team, new logo, new jerseys, new colors-black, red, white.  . We start in June.

-Axis or Ultrasonic gear on Sidelineswap. Yes! No, nothing .  I Ultrasonic set I liked, non-responsive seller.

-Glove game at Pure Hockey: Brian's, CCM, Bauer, Warrior, and Vaughn gloves, try them on blind, what feels best? try 3 times.

-Vaughn, always. Damnit. 

-"you don't need to buy used gear, just go custom.  Just go Vaughn. You know you want to and I'm willing to buy it for you."

-Damnit.

-V9 set ordered.

Wow - now that is probably the best thing I’ve read today (to be fair, you were up against bad news, work crap, family drama and Coop’s shit posts). Thrilled for ya - and I know what it’s like to have that kind of awesome spouse; it’s how I started goalie!

so I have to ask - what happens with the awesome mask in icy blue colours...? 
Oh, and happy early 40th brother! 🎂

12 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Negative.

I ordered:

-Vaughn, always. Damnit. 

-Damnit.

-V9 set ordered.

20210404_205351.jpg

20210404_205407.jpg

20210404_205425.jpg

5795.jpg

Excellent. Going to be eagerly waiting for your new set to arrive.

What did they give for a lead time?

6 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Wow - now that is probably the best thing I’ve read today (to be fair, you were up against bad news, work crap, family drama and Coop’s shit posts). Thrilled for ya - and I know what it’s like to have that kind of awesome spouse; it’s how I started goalie!

I'm glad you bundled up my posts with all those other negative things. It's truly where I belong.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Negative.

I ordered:

-Vaughn, always. Damnit. 

-Damnit.

-V9 set ordered.

20210404_205351.jpg

20210404_205407.jpg

20210404_205425.jpg

5795.jpg

Just showed my son the pics; he was blown away: “WHOAH!!! That’s pretty cool... like, REALLY cool!”

Of course he knows that this is a Brian’s house, and if he still wants to live here rent-free, well... 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I'm glad you bundled up my posts with all those other negative things. It's truly where I belong.

Sorry - it’s not (just) you. Still love you, man! 😘

Just now, coopaloop1234 said:

7 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Thanks guys.  I'm happy to finally break the news here.  Been holding this since....Tuesday.

Lead time is very good right now.  Had my phone call with the custom rep there (pretty neat that they "have my specs right here") to go over everything.  Gloves they said 5-7 weeks and pads 10 weeks.

Gloves always show up first and early with them.

9 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Just showed my son the pics; he was blown away: “WHOAH!!! That’s pretty cool... like, REALLY cool!”

Of course he knows that this is a Brian’s house, and if he still wants to live here rent-free, well... 

Ha, nice.  I totally support father-son traditions.  No foul in my book :)

This graphic has a TON of possibilities.  It was fun. I'm super happy with what I ended up with.

OH, @Lucky Pucker no plans for mask change any time soon. I'll suck it up and tell my vanity to shut the hell up and rock an icy blue dragon head with my red stuff.  No big deal, right?  Yes, it is not a big deal, not in any way....

In all seriousness, this offer to get new gear floored me and was very much NOT expected. I would have for sure joked about rocking baby blue gear with a red team, but not seriously considered buying new gear just for changing beer league teams.

At the same time, I'm not an idiot and could not say NO to the offer, obviously.

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Sorry - it’s not (just) you. Still love you, man! 😘

Don't worry, I know what I'm all about. :datass:

3 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Thanks guys.  I'm happy to finally break the news here.  Been holding this since....Tuesday.

Lead time is very good right now.  Had my phone call with the custom rep there (pretty neat that they "have my specs right here") to go over everything.  Gloves they said 5-7 weeks and pads 10 weeks.

Gloves always show up first and early with them.

Three whole days? That self control.

I'm pretty sure I was sharing pictures of my customizer as I was in the middle of finalizing my design.

3 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Ha, nice.  I totally support father-son traditions.  No foul in my book :)

This graphic has a TON of possibilities.  It was fun. I'm super happy with what I ended up with.

Lol! To be fair, I started with used Vaughn gloves and loved them. To the point of almost staying with them when it was time to buy new. Vaughn ain’t too shabby! 

For the record and in the spirit of full disclosure, here were my blind "feel" gloves rankings 3/3 times:

1-Vaughn V9, 2-Brian's G'netik 4, 3-CCM Axis, 4-Bauer Ultrasonic, 5-Warrior-G5

Sorry @coopaloop1234, it was all about "the feel"

It's a really good glove testing game, by the way.  Highly recommended.  Just no touching, feeling for graphics and being a cheater.

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1