Opinions on Vaughn Blockers/Gear

Maxpower29

Hi, new here. Ive been a ball hockey/street hockey goalie my whole life (34 now). Have only played ice hockey goalie a good 15-20 times in my life and now but recently decided to start playing goalie full time on ice. 

I am lucky this part of my career and am able to spend money on hobbies. I think its important to buy Canadian and US made stuff if you are able to so after looking I bought all new Vaughn VE8 pro carbon gear. Pads, pants, cup, chesty, neck protector and a few others. I bought a VE8 pro carbon used trapper to get one that's worked in but I'm now looking for a blocker. 

My question is when looking at the two lines, the velocity and the Ventus SLR. What is a better fit for a newer goalie and basically a complete gas can on goalie skates :D.

There is a matching Ventus blocker forsale locally on clearance and I was wondering if it's a good idea to get that or keep looking for an all white VE8 pro carbon. 

Appriciate the info if anyone has any

Edited by Maxpower29

• Maxpower29 changed the title to Opinions on Vaughn Blockers/Gear

Get the Ventus blocker. 

I'm a huge fan of any Vaughn blocker, but the Velocity line has recently had a pretty weak sidewall. It's almost like it tapers in by design...(maybe to close in on the arm better but I'm just theorizing, knowing Vaughn it's just a stupid design). 

The stiffer Ventus sidewall will offer you more blocking surface, especially for a beginner were a habit may be to tilt the blocker out at times. 

However, I do like the overall shape of the Velocity blocker better when considering the rest. Can't go wrong with either.

Edited by Aquilzz
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Aquilzz said:

Get the Ventus blocker. 

I'm a huge fan of any Vaughn blocker, but the Velocity line has recently had a pretty weak sidewall. It's almost like it tapers in by design...(maybe to close in on the arm better but I'm just theorizing, knowing Vaughn it's just a stupid design). 

The stiffer Ventus sidewall will offer you more blocking surface, especially for a beginner were a habit may be to tilt the blocker out at times. 

However, I do like the overall shape of the Velocity blocker better when considering the rest. Can't go wrong with either.

100% agree.  If you're going off the shelf, go with the Ventus.  I had Vaughn do a full carbon face, stiff sidewall, and a slightly more open cuff on my V9 blocker to hopefully get the best of both worlds, but if I had to choose a retail version I'd definitely go with the SLR2.  

• Like 1

I think at this stage in your game you're going to be just fine in either of those blockers in terms of the minor little spec differences. 

They do have different feels when on your hand, so that's one thing to pay attention to when making your pick if you can try them on side by side.  I'm a lifelong Vaughn user and SLR stuff feels very foreign and awkward to me while Velocity gear, no matter which version, feels very natural and normal to me. I've owned V1, V4, V6, and VE8 gear and the new V9 gear feels great to me in comparison, though I've not played with V9 stuff.

I will say this: the VE8 blocker has those plastic windows on the sidewall while the SLR2 blocker does not.  Those windows crack and it irks the hell out of me when I look down at it while playing.  So, if that is something that might irk you, take it into consideration when making your choice.  It's a design flaw of the VE8 blocker that they thankfully fixed on the V9. 2 of the 3 on mine have cracked.  Otherwise it has held up pretty well.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

image.thumb.png.b344726e21a341d94cc8d9911f13a2f5.png

image.thumb.png.2303d3fea3a2526b0aa17384de8ac4f8.png

image.thumb.png.0909d11b37733797cf9b583bcbeb540a.png

image.thumb.png.8328269940d8bfe7e3f9ace1d7b1c208.png

The one VE8 pro carbon blocker I've opened had the plate cut in two at the lacing. The carbon sheet was only from lower edge to the lacing and the angled part had no plate at all. Weird design I'd say because the HD foam on the plate doesn't hold against puck very well.

1 hour ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

@seagoal how are the rebounds on the vaughns? I want to match my blocker to my pads if I can so only my glove is different. My biggest concerns are rebounds and puck handling 

Difficult for me to say as I only know Vaughn.  I don't have anything else to compare it to.  As for sound Vaughn is more of a THUD than a POP and Vaughn sounds way softer than say Bauer, based on just hearing them in person.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Difficult for me to say as I only know Vaughn.  I don't have anything else to compare it to.  As for sound Vaughn is more of a THUD than a POP and Vaughn sounds way softer than say Bauer, based on just hearing them in person.

If the V8 is the same as the V5 then they're definitely on the softer side.

Saying that, it's not like any blocker out there can't redirect shots into the netting or corners so I've never fully understood the focus on blocker pop. It's nice, just not huge.

23 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

If the V8 is the same as the V5 then they're definitely on the softer side.

Saying that, it's not like any blocker out there can't redirect shots into the netting or corners so I've never fully understood the focus on blocker pop. It's nice, just not huge.

Yeah, I fully agree.  My take is that the focus on this and the attention given to it is a bit overblown, at least in terms of what I consider relevant.

I mean if I could get an hour on the ice with an accurate shooter, 100 pucks, and every blocker on the market then I'm sure I could discern some differences in some sorta relevant way.

But that said, a "soft" blocker and a "hard" blocker probably don't have that much difference if they are both brand new.  And then, let's say at a dead stand still a Bauer is a 8/10 and a Vaughn is a 6/10.  What if the Vaughn wearer adds a little punch to blocker shots and the Bauer wearer does not.  Can that difference be made up? Probably, I'm willing to bet.

Then of course, let's say there is a difference.  Is that difference good or bad for you?  Do you actually want pucks closer or further off the deflection? Are you letting pucks hit your blocker or are you punching at pucks with your blocker.....are you active or passive in your deflections?  How fast are the shots coming at you -- is "blocker pop" even relevant to you at your level of play?

All points to consider, @A.YOUNGoalie13 and @Maxpower29

Edited by seagoal

5 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

That has to be a skater trying out goal.

Ha, maybe.  Watching Div. 7 or 8 games in my league is pretty fun, I get a kick out of it.  Watching these goalies remind me of a kitten chasing and trying to capture yarn balls.

How strange are thigh boards now?  Damn.

Edited by seagoal

9 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Ha, maybe.  Watching Div. 7 or 8 games in my league is pretty fun, I get a kick out of it.  Watching these goalies remind me of a kitten chasing and trying to capture yarn balls.

How strange are thigh boards now?  Damn.

I still miss my thigh wraps from my V4's. The simplicity of them was fantastic and they were protective enough.

I don't miss my thigh boards on my P2's. Didn't take long to remove those entirely.

1 minute ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I still miss my thigh wraps from my V4's. The simplicity of them was fantastic and they were protective enough.

I don't miss my thigh boards on my P2's. Didn't take long to remove those entirely.

Same here.  I wore V4s with the wraps and got my V6s with them too, prior to wearing knee pads.  Then once I started wearing knee pads I would wrap the wraps around them, doubling up for a while. Finally got brave enough to ditch the wraps once I bought Ritual knee pads and holy crap, what a world of difference that made in mobility and butterfly mechanics.  I looked a little more like the guys on TV at that point :)

9 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Same here.  I wore V4s with the wraps and got my V6s with them too, prior to wearing knee pads.  Then once I started wearing knee pads I would wrap the wraps around them, doubling up for a while. Finally got brave enough to ditch the wraps once I bought Ritual knee pads and holy crap, what a world of difference that made in mobility and butterfly mechanics.  I looked a little more like the guys on TV at that point :)

I think you're a pioneer on that one there seagoal. :giggle:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, seagoal said:

Yeah, I fully agree.  My take is that the focus on this and the attention given to it is a bit overblown, at least in terms of what I consider relevant.

I mean if I could get an hour on the ice with an accurate shooter, 100 pucks, and every blocker on the market then I'm sure I could discern some differences in some sorta relevant way.

But that said, a "soft" blocker and a "hard" blocker probably don't have that much difference if they are both brand new.  And then, let's say at a dead stand still a Bauer is a 8/10 and a Vaughn is a 6/10.  What if the Vaughn wearer adds a little punch to blocker shots and the Bauer wearer does not.  Can that difference be made up? Probably, I'm willing to bet.

Then of course, let's say there is a difference.  Is that difference good or bad for you?  Do you actually want pucks closer or further off the deflection? Are you letting pucks hit your blocker or are you punching at pucks with your blocker.....are you active or passive in your deflections?  How fast are the shots coming at you -- is "blocker pop" even relevant to you at your level of play?

All points to consider, @A.YOUNGoalie13 and @Maxpower29

Well @seagoal, I know you love bragging to me about how old you are with your movie references and what not, but we kids these days are taught not to punch pucks and to just let it come to you🤪

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Damn @seagoal , are you just going to let this punk disrespect you like that?

Right???

New test: does a Vaughn blocker “pop” or “thud” ... or maybe “crack” when donned to straight arm a petulant upstart in the chicklets? 

(Just kidding. I’m not condoning violence. At least not until the pandemic is over, and it’s safe to get up in someone’s grill again)

2 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Right???

New test: does a Vaughn blocker “pop” or “thud” ... or maybe “crack” when donned to straight arm a petulant upstart in the chicklets? 

(Just kidding. I’m not condoning violence. At least not until the pandemic is over, and it’s safe to get up in someone’s grill again)

So then I snap. I LOSE IT!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

So then I snap. I LOSE IT!

I fake him out with an old Cooper blocker and the dummy goes for it. Uppercut to the chin, FLURRRY to the solar plexus. He’s crumpled in the corner, trying to pick up his teeth, and I say “There! Is that ‘how much does the Vaughn pop?’ Enough for ya?!?!”

Ever since, I’ve been the Champ.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Lucky Pucker said:

I fake him out with an old Cooper blocker and the dummy goes for it. Uppercut to the chin, FLURRRY to the solar plexus. He’s crumpled in the corner, trying to pick up his teeth, and I say “There! Is that ‘how much does the Vaughn pop?’ Enough for ya?!?!”

Ever since, I’ve been the Champ.

Spot on.

But yea, seagoal, take the Champ lead and show 'em who's boss.

Wow this escalated quickly. But i like it. 

Thanks for the responses. Hockey place around here said they have one VE8 pro carbon blocker in Canada left in all white. So I'm getting it shipped here to try and see which i like better. The have the SLR Ventus one clearance as well (both the same price) but I didn't really like the feel of it much. Maybe it's just new and stuff. Going to try the VE8 when it comes in and go from there. 

I'll post pics of my addiction in the making this week. So fun to buy new gear 

Edited by Maxpower29