Knee is Landing Under Knee Block (Axis 1.9)

Gruia Radu

For the past couple of months i’ve owned a pair of stock CCM Axis 1.9 pads, original strapping and all. Ever since I got them, I can’t seem to get my knee to land on the knee blocks. When I go down into a butterfly, my knees always land below the knee blocks, causing my pads to rotate upwards and the face to shift upwards. this has affected my play and i’m not sure what I can do, i’ve tried many things. 

Overall height doesn't matter much. I'm 5'10" and I'd wear a 32 in CCM. Have you worn CCM in the past?

What's your ATK? Are you able to take picture of your knee cradle area with your leg pads on?

Edit: Looked up the sizing guide for CCM pads. They use FTK instead of ATK. Looking at their guide, when using a 33" pad you should be in the 19.5"-20.5" FTK range.

Untitled.thumb.png.b7016cd6c7e4bb5dd3f409386a83c02f.png

Agree with @coopaloop1234 - leg pad sizing (especially between manufacturers) is at best a reference - kind of like the centreline of the road to a drunk driver.

Case in hand - I'm just over 5'-7"  - had a pair of Vaughn V2s @ 32". Even with the adjustable knee block at the lowest position, my knee would still occasionally drop out. I now use a pair of Brian's 32+1 - perfect centration, never had an issue with landing square on the block. A posed pic of your knee on the block in the b-fly with your regular strapping would probably help.

And yes - ATK would also give a better picture of where you are.

I'm willing to bet those babies are too big on you unless you are all leg and no torso.  I'm 6' and wear a 34.  I could probably make a 33 work without too much trouble.   A 34 from CCM  (for reference) fits me the same as a 35 from Warrior, Brians, or Vaughn, so their knee blocks tend to be a little higher than others.

17 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

I'm willing to bet those babies are too big on you unless you are all leg and no torso.  I'm 6' and wear a 34.  I could probably make a 33 work without too much trouble.   A 34 from CCM  (for reference) fits me the same as a 35 from Warrior, Brians, or Vaughn, so their knee blocks tend to be a little higher than others.

CCM always seems to run a bit higher than the other guys.

I'm a 33 in just about everything but CCM, where I'm a 32.

4 hours ago, Gruia Radu said:

I am 5’8 and wear a 33+1. Here’s a picture with a clear view of my strapping and how high the pads are on my legs. 

2F1143D9-1272-4D75-AECF-BA1458ADA8C6.jpeg

Just to pile on, somewhat unhelpfully, but I also had a knee block issue that was incorrect sizing. 

Also, that looks like a sweet jersey! As a Habs fan, I always enjoyed Adams Division games against the Whalers. Any chance of a proper pic of the jersey ...? 🙂

18 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Just to pile on, somewhat unhelpfully, but I also had a knee block issue that was incorrect sizing. 

Also, that looks like a sweet jersey! As a Habs fan, I always enjoyed Adams Division games against the Whalers. Any chance of a proper pic of the jersey ...? 🙂

I came from a 34 plus 1 in P2 to a 33+1.5 as I was told that they would run a little bigger and I'm 5'11, again though, height got nothing to do with it.

I know that Hockey Reviews was complaining of this as well, and made some adjustments, look into his YouTube videos, but for you, it might be a sizing issue if nothing works. 

This may help as well

883191C8-3CDD-4776-96B1-9DADD188737C.thumb.png.758af1646e1602f1c557b82a3aa8e8ea.png

It’s proven nothing short of spot on. For example I wear a 34 in Warrior and a medium in Bauer so I would look at a size 33 Axis. I’ve also tried a 33 axis and the fit is spot on. Keep in mind I’ve strapped all three of those pads about the same (tight knee strap down to the calf and as tight as possible around the calf even modified my G4s to achieve the tighter fit I wanted)

Thank you all for the help! I have been wearing CCM since i popped on the skates and moved up from a 31+1 to a 33+1, which was probably not a great move. For those wanting to see the full jersey, i’m sorry to disappoint with the full design 😂

618E9811-4E39-482B-8569-485FC5B66D8B.jpeg

4 hours ago, Gruia Radu said:

Thank you all for the help! I have been wearing CCM since i popped on the skates and moved up from a 31+1 to a 33+1, which was probably not a great move. For those wanting to see the full jersey, i’m sorry to disappoint with the full design 😂

618E9811-4E39-482B-8569-485FC5B66D8B.jpeg

Not saying anything you haven't read already... and as much as it pains me to say this... @coopaloop1234 is right. I'm 5'10" and picked up 33+1 Axis. While they do fit... because they sit higher and the core doesn't break down and slouch much... I could have gone with 32+1 and been ok. You are already using a boot strap... not sure if tightening it another notch or two will help or just end up hurting rotation.

As for the sweaters... New Trier hasn't ever been big on style... but the hockey is usually on the right side of decent.

Archived