Could Gary Thorne Return as ESPN's NHL Voice?

SaveByRichter35

I was telling my kids about how ESPN had the NHL in the day. Told them how when they launched espn 2 that the NHL was their big thing. I looked up 'the deuce' on YouTube and found that someone posted their first hour on air. So 90's cheese cringe worthy. And the best of all - nerd ball Bettman was on and talked about how they wanted to remove fighting from EA Sports NHL game (for Sega Genesis, kids).

Ā 

This was the 90s. Extreme sports, no ties, wacky bits, shaky cam, not using capitalĀ letters... madness!

Gary Bettman had the energy of a dead goldfish. It's sad...

On 3/16/2021 at 7:43 PM, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Can anyone old like @seagoalĀ explain to me what the skycam was or that other camera they invented? It sounds like it was pretty wild

Funny - in the day (old guy talk) the stadiums were smaller. Not really smaller for attendance numbers - but before the owners had 7 levels of suites between the lower and upper decks. The camera was closer to the ice. So you could see with more detail the guys on the ice and all.

With the new rinks, the camera locations seemed to go higher and further back. This is when they tried that top of the glass camera that ran from zone to zone on the one side. For whatever reason, I recall Dallas had it the most.

Ironically, the Stars arena seems to have the closest camera to the ice anyway. The Ducks is the worst. Feels like you're watching from the roof.

I'm in Philly, so when the Flyers went from the old Spectrum to the new arena in 1997, the tv picture changed for the worse.

Philadelphia Phantoms - Wikiwand

New Arena:

A Guide To The Wells Fargo Center ā€“ CBS Philly

You can see how the overhang for the upper deck (where the cameras are stationed) are further away from the ice now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2021 at 8:01 PM, MTH said:

Funny - in the day (old guy talk) the stadiums were smaller. Not really smaller for attendance numbers - but before the owners had 7 levels of suites between the lower and upper decks. The camera was closer to the ice. So you could see with more detail the guys on the ice and all.

With the new rinks, the camera locations seemed to go higher and further back. This is when they tried that top of the glass camera that ran from zone to zone on the one side. For whatever reason, I recall Dallas had it the most.

Ironically, the Stars arena seems to have the closest camera to the ice anyway. The Ducks is the worst. Feels like you're watching from the roof.

I'm in Philly, so when the Flyers went from the old Spectrum to the new arena in 1997, the tv picture changed for the worse.

Philadelphia Phantoms - Wikiwand

New Arena:

A Guide To The Wells Fargo Center ā€“ CBS Philly

You can see how the overhang for the upper deck (where the cameras are stationed) are further away from the ice now.

Panthers and the Stars are some of my favourite games to watch solely due to how close the camera is to the ice in relation to everyone else's arena. Especially San Jose, fuck their camera is awful.

Florida:

Panthers.thumb.png.137f12e2076e44438a72361d2375e228.png

Dallas:

Stars.thumb.png.ffbbf80e117833a6552f80f019853010.png

San Jose:

Sharks.thumb.png.da858a40090344734a369600ac7905b4.png

Ā 

9 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Panthers and the Stars are some of my favourite games to watch solely due to how close the camera is to the ice in relation to everyone else's arena. Especially San Jose, fuck their camera is awful.

Ā 

Here I thought I was the only one who saw this. So true. Joe Lewis was cool too. More because when people stood up or cheered they blocked the view some.Ā 

Had that bootleg VHS copy of a movie feel to it.

Where do we go from here? | From silver screen to multiscreen...

14 hours ago, MTH said:

Here I thought I was the only one who saw this. So true. Joe Lewis was cool too. More because when people stood up or cheered they blocked the view some.Ā 

Had that bootleg VHS copy of a movie feel to it.

Where do we go from here? | From silver screen to multiscreen...

Remember Toronto head guy when they played the bruins in the playoffs?

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.f3fde61fc9266f858ccd858161d3ec81.jpg

Ā 

Archived