True holder vs Bauer holder

Gunner Paradis

I'm about to buy my second pair of two piece true skate because I loved my first pair so much but the one thing I didn't like about my current skates is the blade and holder situation, when I need a new set of steel, true blades are way more expensive then Bauer and ccm (at least where I'm from) and they are super hard to find and take months to get in, so I'm wondering if I were to get Bauer vertex holders on my next set of skates would it be a big difference from the true holders? and if so what would be the difference?

• 3 weeks later...

I came from Bauer, so the pitch felt the same.  I used the same triple profile on both skates, so again, no issues there.   I tried one game on the True steel before getting the Vertexx.  Going back to 4mm steel was the biggest challenge in that game.  I think with the same profile I could have gotten used to it in time, but I already had Vertexx holders on the way, so I didn't bother trying.

• 2 months later...

I’m reviving this because I don’t feel my problem deserves a new thread. As many of you know the True STEP holder is being replaced and discontinued in favor of the new Shift holder. My steel is starting to get pretty short and with no new replacement steel being made it’s getting increasingly harder to use these skates. My question is what holder can I have put on my skates that would require the least amount of new holes drilled?

6 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I’m reviving this because I don’t feel my problem deserves a new thread. As many of you know the True STEP holder is being replaced and discontinued in favor of the new Shift holder. My steel is starting to get pretty short and with no new replacement steel being made it’s getting increasingly harder to use these skates. My question is what holder can I have put on my skates that would require the least amount of new holes drilled?

I would think the holes wouldn’t be too off. What typically happens on a composite outsole is that the skate tech will fill the holes with epoxy. Now, my opinion is that some powdered graphite needs to be mixed into the epoxy and two more layers of carbon need to go on top, but most shoppes wouldn’t do that. But the holes typically don’t change much within the same brand, barring the fact that sometimes the person installing the holder goes crazy drilling. Of course one may argue that the closer the holes align, the worse the tendency for the holes to be off. I know when I went from E-blade to Speedlight 4.0 on my player skates, it was a very smooth transition, as the holes lined up and  the person drilling in the factory kept the drill straight. 

3 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

I would think the holes wouldn’t be too off. What typically happens on a composite outsole is that the skate tech will fill the holes with epoxy. Now, my opinion is that some powdered graphite needs to be mixed into the epoxy and two more layers of carbon need to go on top, but most shoppes wouldn’t do that. But the holes typically don’t change much within the same brand, barring the fact that sometimes the person installing the holder goes crazy drilling. Of course one may argue that the closer the holes align, the worse the tendency for the holes to be off. I know when I went from E-blade to Speedlight 4.0 on my player skates, it was a very smooth transition, as the holes lined up and  the person drilling in the factory kept the drill straight. 

I was also told there’s some issues when drilling one piece boots. Something about losing lots of structural integrity or it’s just flat out difficult. 

I've had my True two-pieces since November of 2020. Swapped to a CCM XSG holder after a couple skates with the stock Step holder. They had to drill some new holes, but I haven't had any issues beyond some rivets being loose - supposedly the shop used rivets that were slightly too long when first mounting the XSG holder.

It's been several months skating 2-3 times a week since and I haven't had any issues with integrity or the holder coming loose again.

25 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

I've had my True two-pieces since November of 2020. Swapped to a CCM XSG holder after a couple skates with the stock Step holder. They had to drill some new holes, but I haven't had any issues beyond some rivets being loose - supposedly the shop used rivets that were slightly too long when first mounting the XSG holder.

It's been several months skating 2-3 times a week since and I haven't had any issues with integrity or the holder coming loose again.

Trying to avoid the ccm holders if possible. It’s too close to the start of my season to get used to a new pitch

1 minute ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Trying to avoid the ccm holders if possible. It’s too close to the start of my season to get used to a new pitch

Your concern was about drilling a one piece boot and potentially causing a structural issue. My example was to illustrate that I have swapped holders, drilled new holes and that I didn't have issues. I wasn't advocating switching to a CCM holder.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

Did you look at the spine of the blade? Those were made by Step and they stamp the spine of the blade with the size (the part that goes into the holder). Of course it may not be on a fat blade as that spine in harder to stamp.

Yup, nothing stamped.  You would think this would be standard but who knows.

1 hour ago, Desert Tendy said:

Couple ways you can go about this

1-
There should be a barcode taped to the inside of the bottom of your boot under the footbed and red inner layer.
Sometimes the size is part of that barcode, or you can take it to your shop to ask True what size holder they put on your skate.
Last time I checked, they'd use your initials/part of your last name, size, and manufacture date to code those barcodes for future remakes.

2-
My steel sizing on the one piece matched the sizing sticker on the bottom of the blue footbed.  YMMV

3-
Call Tydan and explain the situation, they can probably get some measurements for you to match up

16 hours ago, Desert Tendy said:

That is a bummer. I was trying to remove the runner from the holder. 

The suggestion given would be your best option. I know from working on enough skates that a size 7 runner is never longer than 272mm. 

Frankly, I didn’t have my True holder on my True skate long enough to replace runners.