VE8 --> V9 : Soft --> Stiff

seagoal

12 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

It’s not that hard to do yourself if they won’t. I will guide you through if you wish @seagoal

That's generous of you...and intriguing, if only from a curiosity point of view.

I guss conceptually it doen't seem that difficult: undo the top trim, slide the core internals up, hack hack hack, push internals back in, redo the top trim. 

No brainer, eh?

There's a new member on here since your return, @ArdeFIN.  I bet he could do this easily, but he is all the way in Finland. 

Edited by seagoal

24 minutes ago, seagoal said:

That's generous of you...and intriguing, if only from a curiosity point of view.

I guss conceptually it doen't seem that difficult: undo the top trim, slide the core internals up, hack hack hack, push internals back in, redo the top trim. 

No brainer, eh?

There's a new member on here since your return, @ArdeFIN.  I bet he could do this easily, but he is all the way in Finland. 

Correct. Yep- I know @ArdeFIN

No, not hard at all, but there are a few little things you have to do and keep in mind. I have lopped off about 30 pair of pads, so it’s possible that I know what to do. 

My offer stands for as long as I am alive LOL You had better think quickly!!!! 🤣

On 6/24/2021 at 5:43 PM, bunnyman666 said:

@coopaloop1234 is onto something. On a soft pad, you do need it more connected to your leg. On a stiff pad, you need to be less so.

I tried a two pad stack on my Factory Pads (between over ripe banana soft and baby shit soft) and it was not easy because of the elastics. The pads flopped. They should be cranked. Vaughns have more minimal strapping. I did try a super stiff pad and cranking them down was just no good. Of course I am wanting softer pads. 

Adding off of what bunnyman stated, long ago in my early days (2013), I had an opportunity to try some double break Premier 4's and I had a terrible time with them because I strapped them in the same manner that I had done on my Velocity 4's at the time (before I adopted the idea of wearing giant knee pads). I could not move for the life of me and every single time I dropped down, I was stuck. 

After modifying the leg channel on my first pair of V4's and removing the knee lock to accept the Koho 589 knee pads, I had to wear them much looser at the top, but I found that a soft pad strapped loosely gives a lot more mobility than one that is strapped tightly. They give a bit more movement than the traditional V4 leg channel configuration regardless of strapping, but I think this a winning combination if you want soft pads and huge knee pads.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, seagoal said:

I'm not commited to this , but just an idea: I wonder if Vaughn would hack an inch off the top if I sent them back?

I'm following along a bit here.  I'm of the opinion that every time someone hacks off the top of their pads, they regret it and end up ordering new ones...

Can you post a pic of the side profile on both pads side by side? 

How do you store the pads when they're not in use?

1 hour ago, Chenner29 said:

I'm following along a bit here.  I'm of the opinion that every time someone hacks off the top of their pads, they regret it and end up ordering new ones...

Can you post a pic of the side profile on both pads side by side? 

How do you store the pads when they're not in use?

I store them just sitting natually, nothing special

20190111_132741.thumb.jpg.de52f789897799ad075c4f7d6147ace3.jpg

Here are the side profiles side-by-side

20210627_152158.thumb.jpg.f1eee286186687dfd46de2b70ed0e503.jpg

20210627_152652.thumb.jpg.c11f70b5f01b74caa6071b3814cee8bb.jpg

20 minutes ago, seagoal said:

I store them just sitting natually, nothing special

Here are the side profiles side-by-side

Have you tried storing your reds upside down to promote a bit more curve in the thigh?  Your blues look a much more aggressively curved.
I store my X-stiff Lefevres that way and I'm having some good success with them.

This is actually one of the reasons why I could never get used to my Keneskys - I wasn't able to get the pads to hold a pre-curve like the Lefevre stuff does.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Have you tried storing your reds upside down to promote a bit more curve in the thigh?  Your blues look a much more aggressively curved.
I store my X-stiff Lefevres that way and I'm having some good success with them

I do this with most of my pads that I order a +2 on.  It works out really well. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

I store my X-stiff Lefevres that way and I'm having some good success with them.

This is actually one of the reasons why I could never get used to my Keneskys - I wasn't able to get the pads to hold a pre-curve like the Lefevre stuff does.

1 hour ago, Puckstopper said:

I do this with most of my pads that I order a +2 on.  It works out really well. 

I haven't ever because honestly I've never needed too.  These are my first stiff pads ever.

I appreciate you guys feedback and suggestions.  I'm a chronic thinker-out-loud and I respect you guys for being a good sounding board.  

Right now my game plan is keep playing, keep being a leaner, store them upside down for a while, and just let time do its thing.

I know these will soften somewhat over time and I'll get use to them and eventually not think twice about how they feel. 

They're the right size , just built very different.  The pros of them are already motivating enough.  

All that said,, I do NOT want to hack off the tops right now :)

On 6/27/2021 at 9:17 PM, seagoal said:

No brainer, eh?

Sorry, not yet. Still struggling with my project XLT pads. 😆

On 6/27/2021 at 9:45 PM, bunnyman666 said:

Correct. Yep- I know @ArdeFIN

No, not hard at all, but there are a few little things you have to do and keep in mind. I have lopped off about 30 pair of pads, so it’s possible that I know what to do. 

My offer stands for as long as I am alive LOL You had better think quickly!!!! 🤣

Thanks for noting me. But from this experience that @bunnyman666 says I'm only a learner yet. 

Basically it's pretty simple from the top end. Just cut the internals and figure out how to cut the lining so that it's clean and nice. The sideroll will be the most demanding part I think?

For the topic I think that @seagoal you should still go through a series of different adjustments to see how they change the game. And then maybe some more S curve, and maybe some break in for the boot. While it being soft your blue ones are really broken in. (if the core is not broken already)

Edited by ArdeFIN

42 minutes ago, ArdeFIN said:

Sorry, not yet. Still struggling with my project XLT pads. 😆

Thanks for noting me. But from this experience that @bunnyman666 says I'm only a learner yet. 

Basically it's pretty simple from the top end. Just cut the internals and figure out how to cut the lining so that it's clean and nice. The sideroll will be the most demanding part I think?

For the topic I think that @seagoal you should still go through a series of different adjustments to see how they change the game. And then maybe some more S curve, and maybe some break in for the boot. While it being soft your blue ones are really broken in. (if the core is not broken already)

You’re much too modest, Anna. You are well advanced at glove repair; FAR past me! I am the pad, breezer and chesty guy! I am at the embryonic stage of glove mod and repair! 

The biggest mistake people make when lopping off pads is that they cut everything down where they *think* they want it; however, you HAVE to take it at least 1/4” LESS, as you need room for the stitching, as you end up needing that 1/4-1/2” more for your thigh trim. I learnt that that hard way, as my first pair of chopped pads were a 34 -2 1/2” 🤣Literally the ONLY difference that a true professional repair *may* have is to sew in a four-fold binding at the edge, as people don’t have that capability. In essence, that 1/4-1/2” is taken up with the thigh trim. The core will be cut 1/2” below the line of the outer. The outer roll is deceptively simple: you pay attention to the taper that you cut off. I pinch the outer roll as it actually helps makes it look more old school. You can alternatively use poly fill at the end of the outer roll. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2021 at 7:51 AM, chile57 said:

Huh - that's wild because in the shot you provided below - everything looks to match up until you get to the thigh rise (guess the eye is playing tricks). 

But to my earlier point - springy, stiff (erect if you prefer (to keep the double entendre going)) boot breaks are why I can't get behind newer construction styles. I want a boot that will flex to 90 degrees (or even into the acute angle realm) and mostly stay there. Everything else feels like it pushes off my leg too much - just can't get comfortable with it. 

As it relates to your pads - if you got the same size but the boot is much taller - it really makes for a different size as far as I'm concerned. For example - in my V3's/Simmons I'm a 33" but when I bought a pair of XLT's to try to hop on the stiff(er) pad bandwagon - I got a pair of intermediates - 30" or 31". In your on the ice shots its not really obvious but in your standup shots the pads look to sit considerably taller but then again - I'm of the soft pad/shorter thigh rise school (+1 not 0 or -4 or whatever @SaveByRichter35 is rocking).

Either way - you can probably get used to them - just a matter of whether you want to or not. I just felt the XLT's and other similar styles I wanted to try compromised my style too much... and I'm not good enough to get away with taking a couple steps back. Shoutout to a guy like a Chris Osgood who completely went back to the drawing board on style and took it all the way to a Cup in 2008. Good luck!

Bro my pads are a 33+1 lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Bro my pads are a 33+1 lol

I kid - just thought you'd appreciate the nod since I seem to recall a few "WTF with +3" thigh rises?" rants.

Brothers from another mother - I also sport 33+1 and am only fairly recently a knee pad convert.

Edited by chile57
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

KOTH_Cotton-001.jpg.e214538e1aae577eff95bd995148bd2d.jpg

(I got little legs too)

Short legs... arms... torso... I'm basically a glorified intermediate goalie masquerading in men's league. Thankfully I still get to drink.

Edited by chile57
  • Haha 3

50 minutes ago, chile57 said:

So the real question in all of this hullaballoo - @seagoal how are the newer pads working for you? Getting a bit more assimilated? Cursed them and gone back to the blue set?

Hey, thanks.  i realized today I should probably update this situation.  So yes, I am very comfortable and happy in my red pads now.  It was the 7th and for sure the 8th time I used them that they felt normal and natural and like "my pads." I was not conscious of them, didn't feel them, wasn't fighting them for the first time around then.  In total my acclimation time with them was about 2 weeks and 8 uses including a weekend tournament.

The thigh rises have softened just a tad and now they don't feel so clunky when standing or leaning or crouching casually and I loosened my professor strap just a tad to let the pads settle more.  I also have the mitts just where I want them now and they feel great, too.

All in all, the set was a nice upgrade that I am happy with it and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, chile57 said:

Glad to hear they are working out for you and whatever issues you were experiencing were just a hiccup. 

Thank, I appreciate it.  I'm not surprised this hiccup happened.  This was a big jump (for me anyway) in terms of feel.

It's a good lesson for us goalies making a switch to something different that just because it feels different and weird and awkward at first doesn't mean it's a deal breaker and that the change was bad.  I think a solid 2 weeks, more than a half dozen times of use is a good, warranted trial period.

My whole goal in this thread was more of a documentary...getting this all on record for goalies to reference in the future when going through trial and error with new gear. I was never giving up on the red gear or gasping for air (yet) :)

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Thank, I appreciate it.  I'm not surprised this hiccup happened.  This was a big jump (for me anyway) in terms of feel.

It's a good lesson for us goalies making a switch to something different that just because it feels different and weird and awkward at first doesn't mean it's a deal breaker and that the change was bad.  I think a solid 2 weeks, more than a half dozen times of use is a good, warranted trial period.

My whole goal in this thread was more of a documentary...getting this all on record for goalies to reference in the future when going through trial and error with new gear. I was never giving up on the red gear or gasping for air (yet) :)

I am REALLY glad that I did not have to guide you through lopping 1” from the top; the offer is ALWAYS open, however.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

I am REALLY glad that I did not have to guide you through lopping 1” from the top; the offer is ALWAYS open, however.

Ha!

"Bunny, here?"

"No."

"how's this cut, looking good?"

"No"

"do I cut the knee rolls off too?"

"No"

"wait are these -2 now?"

"oh boy."

BBC's 'Spy in the Wild' sees orangutan use SAW to cut tree | Daily Mail  Online

• Haha 4

16 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

KOTH_Cotton-001.jpg.e214538e1aae577eff95bd995148bd2d.jpg

(I got little legs too)

:fyea:

15 hours ago, chile57 said:

I kid - just thought you'd appreciate the nod since I seem to recall a few "WTF with +3" thigh rises?" rants.

Brothers from another mother - I also sport 33+1 and am only fairly recently a knee pad convert.

To your credit my old set was a 33", no thigh rise addition lol.  I still don't wear knee pads though :giggle:

14 hours ago, seagoal said:

I'm glad you did this.  Threads like these were pretty commonplace back in the GSBB days.  I miss these kinds of threads.  Reviews/new gear/trial and error threads all rolled into one.  I tell you I have been dead set on getting a Brian's set if/when I ever got a new set of gear(God willing lol).  The more threads I am seeing of the V9 gear the more intrigued I become with staying in Vaughn.