Hockey Announcers: why do they suck?

estogoalie

19 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

Columbus is a nice enough town but I can't WAIT to sell my house and GTFO next month!  I wish I were moving out of Ohio, but at least I'll get out of Woketown USA!

I wrote a letter to the government asking them to kick Ohio out of the union a few years ago. Just because it was always about Ohio in every election.

We already have a 49 state flag we can return to.

We can put the whole state up for tax sale. China will likely buy it. So that would really be crappy.

Hawaii Four-9 | US House of Representatives: History, Art & Archives

Look how happy everyone is without Ohio in the picture.

Nobody would miss Ohio.

Edited by MTH
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, MTH said:

I wrote a letter to the government asking them to kick Ohio out of the union a few years ago. Just because it was always about Ohio in every election.

We already have a 49 state flag we can return to.

We can put the whole state up for tax sale. China will likely buy it. So that would really be crappy.

Hawaii Four-9 | US House of Representatives: History, Art & Archives

Look how happy everyone is without Ohio in the picture.

Nobody would miss Ohio.

As a Michigander, I fully endorse this idea.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

NHL Network is picking up live local broadcasts on NHL Tonight. Right now it’s San Jose at Colorado. I think it’s the Colorado broadcast. I believe the second man in the booth is Peter McNabb. To my earlier point I made in this thread, he talks too much. This is a common flaw in many former players who are in broadcasting as in-game analysts. They blab endlessly while action is going on that the trained commentator is supposed to be calling. McNabb should know better, he’s been doing this for a long time. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

There was one doing play-by-play and when she would screetch “He scores!”, it pierced my eardrums!

I don't care who does what in life. But there is a natural fit with a deeper announcer voice and sports broadcasts.

Maybe too - I'm just accustomed to it - so when there are other voices - it sounds not right to me.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MTH said:

I don't care who does what in life. But there is a natural fit with a deeper announcer voice and sports broadcasts.

Maybe too - I'm just accustomed to it - so when there are other voices - it sounds not right to me.

One of my broadcasting teachers was female, but had this smoky, husky voice. She could have pulled off play-by-play. 

• Like 1

I looked up who she is. Leah Hextall?  It says her grandfather is Bryan Hextall and cousin is Ron Hextall. 

Not sure how all this ties together because isn't Bryan Hextall Jr Ron's father and if that's the case wouldn't that make Ron her brother? 

Ah forget it my head hurts. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MTH said:

Agree all day. This whole bs of trying to be politically correct is getting tiring. 

• Like 2

Steve Goldstein is pretty good, for the Florida Panthers. You should give him a listen when you can. Randy Moeller who is his color guy also is pretty good.

If you get a chance, listen to Randy Moellers goal calls on the radio from 2008 or so when he did play by play.... its pretty great. He did it as a call out to Lebatard show listeners when they were a local only show.

On 12/16/2021 at 3:18 PM, bunnyman666 said:

There was one doing play-by-play and when she would screetch “He scores!”, it pierced my eardrums!

Is she screaming that when the goalie makes a save too? Cuz then you know she's fakin' it ;)

...but seriously, I watch hockey to get away from women screaming at me...

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Boston Bruins play by play a announcers  (NESN and radio) are among the absolute worst in the league. They apparently have no clue what they are watching or what the rules are.    Sad that an original 6 team’s play-by-play “announcers” are so pathetic.      

Something that I've noticed lately. When did it become okay for the announcers to talk about the opposing teams ongoing shutout? It was always that unwritten rule to not talk about it, to jinx that goalie, but now they seem to be actively doing it. Kind of a di@k move to put it out there on live TV. Sure, have your thoughts or say it to your buddy sitting next to you, but for the announcers (who are supposed to be impartial and call the game as is) to openly talk about it, really does piss me off. Don't even care if it's a team I like/care about. LEAVE IT ALONE!

ESPN is out here hiring bum announcers from other sports to do hockey. They can’t keep up with the pace of the game and clearly don’t know what they’re talking about. Thats how you end of with Leah Hextall calling a a game and saying, “ so and so takes the puck, zoobagabablabahzoomcrackbangwowohah he scores!!!!!!!” Sorry Leah but nobody won the stanley cup they just scored a goal so they’re only losing by 6 now.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

ESPN is out here hiring bum announcers from other sports to do hockey. They can’t keep up with the pace of the game and clearly don’t know what they’re talking about. Thats how you end of with Leah Hextall calling a a game and saying, “ so and so takes the puck, zoobagabablabahzoomcrackbangwowohah he scores!!!!!!!” Sorry Leah but nobody won the stanley cup they just scored a goal so they’re only losing by 6 now.

Her voice goes right through me. I don’t want to watch any games where she’s announcing. If a dude had that type of voice, I wouldn’t want to listen, either. 

Kelly Nash could do play by play as long as she’s wearing that leather dress 😁

47 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Her voice goes right through me. I don’t want to watch any games where she’s announcing. If a dude had that type of voice, I wouldn’t want to listen, either. 

Kelly Nash could do play by play as long as she’s wearing that leather dress 😁

Too bad you can’t see them during the game😂