Hockey Announcers: why do they suck?

estogoalie

I don't watch too much hockey on TV these days, but when I do, it's all over the place: NHL, SEL, KHL, etc.. And the announcers are all over the place as well too. The NHL seems to over-do everything, announcers are screaming on routine/garbage goals like it's a Game 7 OT goal. Meanwhile the guy doing the Swiss league games on SRF is so boring it's almost like he's doing closed-caption: "the player shoots, and the goalie catches it in his glove". Yawn. The guy doing the Swedish SEL games in english is so monotone and just vomiting stats the whole time, I have to put it on mute or I can't enjoy the game. I'm just wondering why it's so hard to find good, interesting announcers? For sure there are some, but they seem to be pretty rare. Unless I'm just hitting a poor sample group?

Edited by estogoalie
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, estogoalie said:

I don't watch too much hockey on TV these days, but when I do, it's all over the place: NHL, SEL, KHL, etc.. And the announcers are all over the place as well too. The NHL seems to over-do everything, announcers are screaming on routine/garbage goals like it's a Game 7 OT goal. Meanwhile the guy doing the Swiss league games on SRF is so boring it's almost like he's doing closed-caption: "the player shoots, and the goalie catches it in his glove". Yawn. The guy doing the Swedish SEL games in english is so monotone and just vomiting stats the whole time, I have to put it on mute or I can't enjoy the game. I'm just wondering why it's so hard to find good, interesting announcers? For sure there are some, but they seem to be pretty rare. Unless I'm just hitting a poor sample group?

So you don’t want it to be exciting, or boring?

I think a lot of it ends up being personal preference. I really love super informative guys Like Ray Ferraro and the Kings Color analyst. They provide really cool tidbits of information and just seem to know the game ridiculously well. But I like the exciting guys too like the Avalanche announcers.

Edited by A.YOUNGoalie13

I like announcers who highlight the exciting parts, and can fill in the boring spots with some interesting stories or jokes or something. Yea, knowing the game helps alot. As well as having an interesting personality or thinking quick on your feet.

...actually, if they could get like Chris Rock and Henrik Lundqvist, that would be cool. Chris brings the fireworks, and Hank the in-depth-behind-the-scenes stories.

Edited by estogoalie
  • Like 1

I think most telecasts have too many people involved. Professional broadcasters know how to deliver the action and understand how to be succinct with words. Former players do not know how to do any of this and often intrude on the main commentator’s call of the game. And now they often have two former players with the main commentator. 

• Like 1

What really has killed the quality of today's announcers is that they all grew up in a SportsCenter world. They have all become that shticky fake voice guy with the personality of a piece of Ikea fake wood.

Announcers of yore were not raised in a world of catch phrases and highlight reels. They were mostly journalists or guys with some mileage. They all smoked and drank. Their cadence was natural with expressions that were either personal or from wherever they grew up. 

Today's guys are interchangeable. They have trained so well that they have removed any and all personality or traits that make them appear from another place.

Can't recreate the old guys who were announcers. Sad.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, big_tommy68 said:

Pierre and Marc all the way. Best in the biz by far, assuming you can appreciate hockey in French.

Tonight we reconnect with casting legends Pierre Houde and Marc Denis for  the first time in 10 months!! Ma parole!: Habs

Sorry but no.  Dave Strader (RIP) and Mickey Redmond were the best duo I ever heard stateside.   Growing up on the Ohio/Michigan border we also got CBC in our cable package, so I heard some high quality commentary on Hockey Night in Canada as well.  Agree that many of today's announcers miss the mark.  To me the cardinal sin is the guy who hoots and hollers about an empty netter for his own team, but says something like "Marner scores" in a complete monotone after a tick tack toe passing sequence and a bar down one timer.  

I love that we're both for regional broadcasters that 90% or more of the rest of the readers will probably never hear. It's a very internet-y kind of conversation to have!

When I was a kid growing up in Montreal, I used to put a radio on top of the tv so that I could watch the local French channel televising mid-week games while listening in English. By the time I knew enough french to not do it that way, Pierre Houde had started doing play-by-play. So I listened to him through my formative years, as it were.  And Marc is his best colour commentary guy yet in my opinion -- possibly the best former player doing the job that I've heard, at least in Canada. Both are well spoken and clearly smart (unlike some of the cement heads on the air - ahem, Kyprios)

Now I'm a middle aged Torontonian who pays for an NHL app subscription so that I can get my out-of-market Habs games in french because these two are so much better than the fourth tier guys sportnet usually assigns Habs games in English! 

I was spoiled as a kid. Had Gene Hart and Bobby Taylor.

Flyers Alumni on Twitter: "Jan. 24: @FlyersAlumni birthday -- Bobby "Chief"  Taylor (1945)… "

Gene was getting a little too old, so they had Mike Emerick and Bill Clement for local broadcasters.

Blast From The Past: A Collection Of Old Flyers TV Intros - Broad Street  Hockey

Clement was in his glory. The Flyers were full of goons and there were several fights every game. His narration of a fight was so well done - that me and my buddies would quote him when we'd drop the gloves while playing street hockey.

On 10/22/2021 at 1:56 PM, big_tommy68 said:

I love that we're both for regional broadcasters that 90% or more of the rest of the readers will probably never hear. It's a very internet-y kind of conversation to have!

When I was a kid growing up in Montreal, I used to put a radio on top of the tv so that I could watch the local French channel televising mid-week games while listening in English. By the time I knew enough french to not do it that way, Pierre Houde had started doing play-by-play. So I listened to him through my formative years, as it were.  And Marc is his best colour commentary guy yet in my opinion -- possibly the best former player doing the job that I've heard, at least in Canada. Both are well spoken and clearly smart (unlike some of the cement heads on the air - ahem, Kyprios)

Now I'm a middle aged Torontonian who pays for an NHL app subscription so that I can get my out-of-market Habs games in french because these two are so much better than the fourth tier guys sportnet usually assigns Habs games in English! 

Whereas, living in Columbus, I just put the radio on to avoid listening to Jeff Rimer.    HE  IS  THE  WORST!!!   Count on him to mangle the pronunciation of at least 3 names per game.  It's one thing if it's the opposing team's rookie, but when you F' up ONE OF YOUR OWN PLAYERS NAMES FOR 2+ SEASONS YOU SUCK!   Sorry of the caps, but even thinking about that goofy little elf makes my blood boil.   

13 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

Whereas, living in Columbus, I just put the radio on to avoid listening to Jeff Rimer.    HE  IS  THE  WORST!!!   Count on him to mangle the pronunciation of at least 3 names per game.  It's one thing if it's the opposing team's rookie, but when you F' up ONE OF YOUR OWN PLAYERS NAMES FOR 2+ SEASONS YOU SUCK!   Sorry of the caps, but even thinking about that goofy little elf makes my blood boil.   

This is common for many cities in the NHL. Sadly. Columbus does not have the generational history. As a newer team in the league, they had to bring in professional announcers to start. Kinda set the table for broadcaster school announcers as the norm.

Also, the audience lacks the 'voice of the team since I was kid' factor too. Eventually they will, but it's going to be a little bit before that point.

Don't take it personally, but I can't see announcers aspiring to be the forever Blue Jackets guy. Columbus is that stepping stone market for many people. I'm sure many people are pumped to work there, but as they get some NHL miles, they start looking for more elsewhere.

28 minutes ago, MTH said:

This is common for many cities in the NHL. Sadly. Columbus does not have the generational history. As a newer team in the league, they had to bring in professional announcers to start. Kinda set the table for broadcaster school announcers as the norm.

Also, the audience lacks the 'voice of the team since I was kid' factor too. Eventually they will, but it's going to be a little bit before that point.

Don't take it personally, but I can't see announcers aspiring to be the forever Blue Jackets guy. Columbus is that stepping stone market for many people. I'm sure many people are pumped to work there, but as they get some NHL miles, they start looking for more elsewhere.

That’s kind of what happened with Dan Kelly. The Blues tried Jack Buck and he was abysmal, so they brought in Dan Kelly; he did end up as the Blues voice for life, and two of his sons also worked the radio voice of the Blues. 

On 10/25/2021 at 10:47 AM, MTH said:

LMAO, take it personally...  Stop, you're killing me.

Martin Lawrence Lol GIF by Martin 

Columbus is a nice enough town but I can't WAIT to sell my house and GTFO next month!  I wish I were moving out of Ohio, but at least I'll get out of Woketown USA!

Edited by Puckstopper
  • Haha 1