Jump to content

True 20.2 full set first impressions


wox33
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hey guys new user and new owner of True's 20.2 leg pads, not sure if this has come up before and I apologize if so, I ordered the fastslide material on the sliding surfaces.  Have any of you guys had issues with it "grabbing" at the ice almost once its been roughed up?  Took mine out for the first time today and was a little disappointed, any similar experiences or recommendations? 

Thanks,

Adam

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Bzktmoto said:

Hey guys new user and new owner of True's 20.2 leg pads, not sure if this has come up before and I apologize if so, I ordered the fastslide material on the sliding surfaces.  Have any of you guys had issues with it "grabbing" at the ice almost once its been roughed up?  Took mine out for the first time today and was a little disappointed, any similar experiences or recommendations? 

Thanks,

Adam

From the limited info I've seen on True's fastslide I think it's some variation of the CCM quickslide and that's why I stayed away from it. After how poorly my Eflex 4s slid on choppy ice I just went with weave on my sliding surface for my True set. It hasn't been as slippery as my Hyperlites were but it's leaps and bounds better than the Eflex's ever were.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Bzktmoto said:

Hey guys new user and new owner of True's 20.2 leg pads, not sure if this has come up before and I apologize if so, I ordered the fastslide material on the sliding surfaces.  Have any of you guys had issues with it "grabbing" at the ice almost once its been roughed up?  Took mine out for the first time today and was a little disappointed, any similar experiences or recommendations? 

Thanks,

Adam

If I'm not mistaken, True's fastslide is similar to CCM's quickslide material. 

There's been conflicting opinions on the material. Some say it slides amazingly in all ice conditions, some say it sticks on fresh ice but gets much better through a game, and some say it sticks all the time and standard Jenpro blows it out of the water. 

Your findings aren't too different than what some people have experienced. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bzktmoto said:

Hey guys new user and new owner of True's 20.2 leg pads, not sure if this has come up before and I apologize if so, I ordered the fastslide material on the sliding surfaces.  Have any of you guys had issues with it "grabbing" at the ice almost once its been roughed up?  Took mine out for the first time today and was a little disappointed, any similar experiences or recommendations? 

Thanks,

Adam

I had it on my 20.1, and had the same experience you are reporting.  It felt like I was playing roller hockey.  Switched to weave real fast

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I reached out to my contact at Pure Goalie he’s going to ask Lefevre and see if there’s anything that can be done.  
 

Chenner - Are you saying you sent your pads back in to have the weave material replace the fastslide or on your next set went with weave? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Bzktmoto said:

I reached out to my contact at Pure Goalie he’s going to ask Lefevre and see if there’s anything that can be done.  
 

Chenner - Are you saying you sent your pads back in to have the weave material replace the fastslide or on your next set went with weave? 

No, I ordered another set after trying to make the Fastslide work for about a month

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/31/2022 at 10:57 AM, tgfoo said:

Sweet set. Couple of questions.

1. How stiff is the thigh rise on the pads?

2. How’s the glove closure out of the box? And any pictures of how it closes? I was not particularly impressed with my CCM P2 double T 580. But most of what I’ve seen from True it looks like they’re much better. 

Here's my 20.2 after about 3 months.  It's taken on a bit more curve since coming out of the box.  I do store them boot up after uses. 

image.thumb.png.6ed221b85c07664dcd536f97e4a15751.png

On 6/2/2022 at 7:02 AM, wox33 said:

@Chenner29 As far as the nylon knee strap goes, are you wearing it fairly tight like it's still elastic or are you treating it more like the old leather straps where it's pretty loose.

Here ya go, 2nd letter on each pad with a slight angle coming in.  U on the right, R on the left.  Weird way to think about it, and I kinda miss the way I would count the holes in the leather straps back in those days.

image.thumb.png.7c23d1f010722df7ff5afd3093e68b45.png

Here's my FRS setup too

image.thumb.png.d3b3595d30f1fe7698e180ca236bc0ab.png

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/27/2022 at 2:33 AM, ilyazhito said:

Has True resolved the usual Lefebvre glove issues? I tried a new full right set of CCM Premier II gloves in the pro shop at one of the rinks in my area, and the trapper was unbelievably stiff. That glove would not open, and closed with great difficulty.  My Reebok Premier 24K regular set still wouldn't open all the way at times, even after 5 years of use for ball hockey. 

I received my true 12.2 glove a few weeks ago. 580 pro palm straight out of the box was almost butter. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Madmedic6 said:

I received my true 12.2 glove a few weeks ago. 580 pro palm straight out of the box was almost butter. 

I’m a little upset I didn’t just go with the pro palm instead of the game ready plus for as well as mine closed right out of the box

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Here ya go, 2nd letter on each pad with a slight angle coming in.  U on the right, R on the left.  Weird way to think about it, and I kinda miss the way I would count the holes in the leather straps back in those days.

Okay, yeah that's right about where I have had mine for the 2 skates I've used them and have had no issues. I figured that was how they were meant to be worn but wasn't sure. I do think I need to mess with my FRS though and tighten up the lower strap on it to get a bit more connected feel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, wox33 said:

Okay, yeah that's right about where I have had mine for the 2 skates I've used them and have had no issues. I figured that was how they were meant to be worn but wasn't sure. I do think I need to mess with my FRS though and tighten up the lower strap on it to get a bit more connected feel.

Let me know how that works out for you - I've had good success with wearing the bottom FRS looser.  IMO you want your ankle to separate a bit from the boot break when you are down, but YMMV

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/4/2022 at 7:10 AM, ilyazhito said:

It's good to know that both pro palm and non-pro palm gloves work. Hopefully all price point gloves for True work well. 

I'm one of those who would say that all CCM Levebvre gloves (especially semi-pro Eflexs, SR, INT & JR) were terrible. But all made in Canada True gloves have been like butter, difference is like a day and night. I couldn't believe that I would play with Levebvre glove, now it's one very good option. I've seen couple of those Asian made True gloves and those are good but not same as Canadian made ones and the price point is similar with other pro gloves.   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/6/2022 at 12:46 PM, Korppi32 said:

I'm one of those who would say that all CCM Levebvre gloves (especially semi-pro Eflexs, SR, INT & JR) were terrible. But all made in Canada True gloves have been like butter, difference is like a day and night. I couldn't believe that I would play with Levebvre glove, now it's one very good option. I've seen couple of those Asian made True gloves and those are good but not same as Canadian made ones and the price point is similar with other pro gloves.   

I'll have to see if there are any available through Sideline Swap. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/3/2022 at 8:50 PM, wox33 said:

I’m a little upset I didn’t just go with the pro palm instead of the game ready plus for as well as mine closed right out of the box

You probably had that CCM glove in mind, my P2 Pro palm is no butter let me tell you that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/3/2022 at 9:51 PM, Chenner29 said:

Let me know how that works out for you - I've had good success with wearing the bottom FRS looser.  IMO you want your ankle to separate a bit from the boot break when you are down, but YMMV

Well I tried tightening it up and ended up going way too tight so about 10 mins in I had to adjust everything. Being that it was mid game I went overly loose with it so I'm back to square one with the FRS strap. I'll probably have to put my knee pads and skates on at home and at least get it back to a more neutral feel for my next skate. I really wish the boot had even the slightest of a channel as I think that is still my issue of not feeling the most connected but I'm sure I will get used to it at some point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/3/2022 at 1:40 PM, Bzktmoto said:

I reached out to my contact at Pure Goalie he’s going to ask Lefevre and see if there’s anything that can be done.  
 

Chenner - Are you saying you sent your pads back in to have the weave material replace the fastslide or on your next set went with weave? 

Throwing this out there but I have no testing to confirm

I'm guessing you're using the elastic toe tie?

Have you tried skate lace?  If not, would you be willing to switch it up "in the name of science?"  I'm workshopping a theory that elastic toes may hinder sliding because they tend to let out indefinitely when the pad hits friction - in the same situation, skate lace will hit a max point and then be guided by the momentum of the lead skate

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/6/2022 at 7:46 PM, Korppi32 said:

I'm one of those who would say that all CCM Levebvre gloves (especially semi-pro Eflexs, SR, INT & JR) were terrible. But all made in Canada True gloves have been like butter, difference is like a day and night. I couldn't believe that I would play with Levebvre glove, now it's one very good option. I've seen couple of those Asian made True gloves and those are good but not same as Canadian made ones and the price point is similar with other pro gloves.   

Basically on a catch glove you should be able to make consistent and identical parts from which the glove is then built in a very strict order and style even to a level where you have certain ready cut laces etc. So you should produce almost 100% identical gloves no matter where you make them or by who. 

But if the design is just that much off or not all of the parts are ready made then that leaves the chance for differencies.

We had a Goalie Day at local shop where all of the major brands were displayed and some reps also were there.

I already regret that I missed the CCM and Warrior booths as I was in a bit of a hurry. But I visited True for pure interest in their products. They had three gloves (580-590-600 surprise!) and whole sets for those. I think 12.2 and 20.2 lines. All of the gloves had soft palm and pretty easy closure regardless of Game Ready or Pro palm. But the main issue for me with those gloves were that I was only able to open them for like 10cm and the rest of the opening had to be done by pushing the T in. And this all is because of T being so stiff. Sure the stiff T will aid the closure too before the plastics bend so much that the closure looks and is somewhat off.

This same thing I found out when I opened the almost new P2.9 glove to see what the heck is going on there. The palm is super soft but still the glove feels stiff as a thick rubber sheet.

Just the same feeling was with Bauers Mach gloves.

The True rep told me that they ship materials from Lefebvre(?) to offshore factory to assure the material quality. And said in the same phrase that it still doesn't provide the quality that is made in LeFebvre factory. This refers to the first lines I wrote above for the production quality.

All in all, if I remember right about the feeling of new CCM gloves from few years ago they have improved a lot. The Eflex3 gloves were stiff from 3.5 to Pro and the overall feeling was stiff back then.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, ArdeFIN said:

Basically on a catch glove you should be able to make consistent and identical parts from which the glove is then built in a very strict order and style even to a level where you have certain ready cut laces etc. So you should produce almost 100% identical gloves no matter where you make them or by who. 

But if the design is just that much off or not all of the parts are ready made then that leaves the chance for differencies.

We had a Goalie Day at local shop where all of the major brands were displayed and some reps also were there.

I already regret that I missed the CCM and Warrior booths as I was in a bit of a hurry. But I visited True for pure interest in their products. They had three gloves (580-590-600 surprise!) and whole sets for those. I think 12.2 and 20.2 lines. All of the gloves had soft palm and pretty easy closure regardless of Game Ready or Pro palm. But the main issue for me with those gloves were that I was only able to open them for like 10cm and the rest of the opening had to be done by pushing the T in. And this all is because of T being so stiff. Sure the stiff T will aid the closure too before the plastics bend so much that the closure looks and is somewhat off.

This same thing I found out when I opened the almost new P2.9 glove to see what the heck is going on there. The palm is super soft but still the glove feels stiff as a thick rubber sheet.

Just the same feeling was with Bauers Mach gloves.

The True rep told me that they ship materials from Lefebvre(?) to offshore factory to assure the material quality. And said in the same phrase that it still doesn't provide the quality that is made in LeFebvre factory. This refers to the first lines I wrote above for the production quality.

All in all, if I remember right about the feeling of new CCM gloves from few years ago they have improved a lot. The Eflex3 gloves were stiff from 3.5 to Pro and the overall feeling was stiff back then.

 

The pushing the T part is what I also had to do with my old Reebok gloves. 

 

It's good to know that CCM has improved. Hopefully True will soon follow suit. Fingers crossed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/17/2022 at 3:40 AM, Chenner29 said:

Throwing this out there but I have no testing to confirm

I'm guessing you're using the elastic toe tie?

Have you tried skate lace?  If not, would you be willing to switch it up "in the name of science?"  I'm workshopping a theory that elastic toes may hinder sliding because they tend to let out indefinitely when the pad hits friction - in the same situation, skate lace will hit a max point and then be guided by the momentum of the lead skate

Sorry @Chenner29 I am going the same route as you.  I sold my set and ordering another set with carbone on the sliding surfaces.  I like your theory, for data purposes I tried my pads on 3 different rinks with the same outcome on all 3.  It performed best when the ice surface wasn't dry and was wet.  TRUE responded to a question I had about if the material had some break in time or something and they said it basically comes down to ice quality and conditions to get the best performance out of the fast slide material.    

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...