True 20.2 full set first impressions

wox33

This is really just an excuse to post some more pictures of my new set but I figured I would post my initial thoughts and specs in case anyone had any questions. 

Pads - 33+2. Soft boot, single outer break, nylon knee strap, frs calf. 

Glove - 580 break, game ready plus. 

Blocker - medium palm, straight finger, half cuff. 

Overall these came out better than I could’ve hoped. Every piece feels super high quality and True got every spec correct. The glove already closes well but it will definitely take some time to get used to the 580 since the last time I used one was in high school. The pads feel lighter than my medium hyperlites so I was pleasantly surprised by that but they are much stiffer above the knee so I’m excited to see how they play. Now onto the pics

2D7637B0-123C-4EF1-82F7-852CFD868D75.thumb.jpeg.eefe44dbb78ad597e1450f96c229c4e9.jpeg1B2D3C10-9CA2-44BB-B54A-413B06082736.thumb.jpeg.04e34e5c0306ffe33e98025b693bdf78.jpeg988F141F-2183-4E3B-81C3-BFAB15C110A4.thumb.jpeg.83a604f1ce3db65dc14c52ccf504bab4.jpeg30C6A6E0-B824-4D22-8BA6-F3C6057E9829.thumb.jpeg.a4bba9b78d6d21790cf8a83e1c55ba33.jpeg15F6EAEA-A7AD-43A0-95FB-D9FC7CE24FB4.thumb.jpeg.407946183613c1c43fa6e127c2a4c367.jpeg

feel free to ask any questions. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, seagoal said:

Wow, awesome looking set.  Minor aesthetic details I love are the gray Pro Laces and the lighter blue on the outside of the T on the otherwise dark blue back of the glove.  Well done, sir.   What jersey do these go with?

Thanks! Honestly, I currently don’t have any jerseys that go with them. Figured I’d try get an uncrested jets or maybe blue jackets one since those would probably go well. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

Beauties, and always great to see another guy in True. 

Tops of the pads will seem very stiff at first, but they settle in and get a little bit of a curve.  Mine feel perfect now

That’s good to hear. My last two sets were Eflex 4 and Hyperlites so when I took these out of the box I was a bit scared by the thighrise stiffness. I really love the soft boot though. The “soft” one on the Bauers was not nearly soft enough for my liking. 

6 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

I'm curious, how do you feel about leaving Stabiliflex? Any apprehension or are you happy to be gone?

I have my first skate in these tonight so we'll see if I even notice a difference to be honest. Like @Chenner29 had mentioned in his write up True seemed to stiffen up the knee block on the 20.2 and the nylon strap seems to keep everything better connected than the old elastic did. Personally, I could never get the strapping to my liking on the Hyperlites so I always felt like I was fighting that combined with random under rotation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wox33 said:

I have my first skate in these tonight so we'll see if I even notice a difference to be honest. Like @Chenner29 had mentioned in his write up True seemed to stiffen up the knee block on the 20.2 and the nylon strap seems to keep everything better connected than the old elastic did. Personally, I could never get the strapping to my liking on the Hyperlites so I always felt like I was fighting that combined with random under rotation.

I'm like 90 days overdue on follow up review for this line, I'll try to get some strapping/toe setup notes in my thread soon ...

Can you post one more of the blocker? Interested in the 

18 hours ago, wox33 said:

straight finger, half cuff

What are these options.

Kind of looks cheap in these darker colorways that True (Lefevre) doesn't use binding in the double T middle space and reveals the white jenpro core.

Can you measure the perimeter length of the catcher, is the same inch or so off from rule limited 45" as many other gloves are? I like the shape of the 580 but for the few times I've had one on hand they never seem to open wide and remain looking really small. Yes I am a pancake glove lover. 🙃

20 minutes ago, ArdeFIN said:

What are these options.

Kind of looks cheap in these darker colorways that True (Lefevre) doesn't use binding in the double T middle space and reveals the white jenpro core.

Can you measure the perimeter length of the catcher, is the same inch or so off from rule limited 45" as many other gloves are? I like the shape of the 580 but for the few times I've had one on hand they never seem to open wide and remain looking really small. Yes I am a pancake glove lover. 🙃

It's just Lefevre's basic blocker options. You can either get that little piece by the index finger as straight or as curved and with the cuff you either get one that wraps all the way around or is just a half piece but I can snap a couple more pics after work. I'll also see if I can find the fabric tape and measure the glove.

51 minutes ago, ArdeFIN said:

What are these options.

Here are snips out of the catalog of the blocker cuffs.
Personally I've found greater wrist mobility out of the half piece than the one piece

image.png.8a056d825637322d97343fa6aa893bc1.png

image.png.811741ca250b2a98aea0b2cacedee95a.png

1 hour ago, Chenner29 said:

Here are snips out of the catalog of the blocker cuffs.
Personally I've found greater wrist mobility out of the half piece than the one piece

image.png.8a056d825637322d97343fa6aa893bc1.png

image.png.811741ca250b2a98aea0b2cacedee95a.png

Ah yes. Half piece all the way. On Vaughn 2000 blocker the one piece cuff is a real trouble maker.

I think that the one piece design is disappearing from all manufacturers selection?

1 hour ago, wox33 said:

I'll also see if I can find the fabric tape and measure the glove.

That would be nice.

On 5/25/2022 at 6:45 PM, wox33 said:

This is really just an excuse to post some more pictures of my new set but I figured I would post my initial thoughts and specs in case anyone had any questions. 

Pads - 33+2. Soft boot, single outer break, nylon knee strap, frs calf. 

Glove - 580 break, game ready plus. 

Blocker - medium palm, straight finger, half cuff. 

Overall these came out better than I could’ve hoped. Every piece feels super high quality and True got every spec correct. The glove already closes well but it will definitely take some time to get used to the 580 since the last time I used one was in high school. The pads feel lighter than my medium hyperlites so I was pleasantly surprised by that but they are much stiffer above the knee so I’m excited to see how they play. Now onto the pics

2D7637B0-123C-4EF1-82F7-852CFD868D75.thumb.jpeg.eefe44dbb78ad597e1450f96c229c4e9.jpeg1B2D3C10-9CA2-44BB-B54A-413B06082736.thumb.jpeg.04e34e5c0306ffe33e98025b693bdf78.jpeg988F141F-2183-4E3B-81C3-BFAB15C110A4.thumb.jpeg.83a604f1ce3db65dc14c52ccf504bab4.jpeg30C6A6E0-B824-4D22-8BA6-F3C6057E9829.thumb.jpeg.a4bba9b78d6d21790cf8a83e1c55ba33.jpeg15F6EAEA-A7AD-43A0-95FB-D9FC7CE24FB4.thumb.jpeg.407946183613c1c43fa6e127c2a4c367.jpeg

feel free to ask any questions. 

Has True resolved the usual Lefebvre glove issues? I tried a new full right set of CCM Premier II gloves in the pro shop at one of the rinks in my area, and the trapper was unbelievably stiff. That glove would not open, and closed with great difficulty.  My Reebok Premier 24K regular set still wouldn't open all the way at times, even after 5 years of use for ball hockey. 

Edited by ilyazhito

7 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

Has True resolved the usual Lefebvre glove issues? I tried a new full right set of CCM Premier II gloves in the pro shop at one of the rinks in my area, and the trapper was unbelievably stiff. That glove would not open, and closed with great difficulty.  My Reebok Premier 24K regular set still wouldn't open all the way at times, even after 5 years of use for ball hockey. 

This will be my 8th Lefevre glove and the only one I ever had any issue with was the Eflex 4 and that it took maybe twice as long as the others to really break in. I really don't know where all complaints about them being super stiff come from.

Reddit. I've seen goalies on r/hockeygoalies post about the Lefebvre gloves being really stiff. My previous set of gloves was Lefebvre (Reebok 24K), and it was really stiff, even though I used the Keeps33 method and played with it for years.

ArdeFIN also had a thread on restoring a CCM glove.  He had to remove the bumb from a CCM glove by Lefebvre to make it more usable, because the glove's construction was interfering with how it closed. That post makes it seem as though there was some design flaw with Lefebvre gloves that caused them to have closure problems. 

• Like 1

I mean Reddit is a minefield of bad information in the goalie subreddit. I've only used pro level gloves so I can't speak to senior level stuff. I know some people complained about the 600 break but I have also only used 580/590 so I have never personally dealt with that issue. I think a big problem is some people are really bad at breaking in gloves. I always try on used gloves at the local play it again sports and don't think I could ever buy a used glove with as messed up as most of those feel.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Snowman30 said:

The lighter blue you have, what color do they call that on the customizer ? It's really shape almost reminds me of the Winnipeg blue Brian's offers.

That's exactly what it is. True also calls it Winnipeg blue. I wavered back and fourth with regular light blue and this one and I'm really happy I went with the Winnipeg.

1 hour ago, RyanR3KC said:

The only break in my game ready L20.1 required was running hot kitchen sink water inside and outside the glove for 1 minute each.  If it sits too long between games and feels stiff, I’ll run the water on it again. Too easy

Awesome!

Maybe the performance problems with my glove were due to the difference in quality between senior and pro-level stuff. It's good to hear that modern Lefebvre gloves are doing better than the old ones. Hopefully their full right gloves are also good. 

On 5/27/2022 at 11:04 AM, ilyazhito said:

Awesome!

Maybe the performance problems with my glove were due to the difference in quality between senior and pro-level stuff. It's good to hear that modern Lefebvre gloves are doing better than the old ones. Hopefully their full right gloves are also good. 

I’m Full Right. 580 break, God’s break

7 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

Same as Trav uses. I'll have to look into a 20.1 or 20.2 set once my current Bauer/Warrior mashup breaks down. 

You should read Chenner’s post on L20.2. Good info there and also breaks down all the updates.