Jump to content

Tendy Buckles


Recommended Posts

Saw these on Reddit the other day and figured I'd give them a go, so I placed an order this morning. Anyone else looked into or started using these yet? It's basically the buckles from a ski boot made to fit onto any goalie skate. I'd tried Halo Hockey straps previously and liked them, except for maybe not being able to get them quite as tight as I'd like but I'm hoping this will be an improvement on that. 

https://tendymods.com/

946A0F60-A17E-410E-BD38-5A422D1C3F52_-_Korey_Davis.jpg?v=1656310257&width=1500

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I was in the first wave of test people and have used them 5-6 times, pretty happy with them so far.  I had Halo straps before, as you said Halo straps you can't get super tight.  Mine were also starting to fray a lot and one of the plastic buckles broke.  

The only con I've had with the Tendy Buckles is a couple of the binding posts have bent a little and the screws could be a tad longer (the posts and screws are each 1/4", I think 1/4" posts and 3/8" screws would be a better combo).  One screw came out in the middle of a game and caused my top buckle to come out which is no bueno, but this was because I hadn't threadlocked them yet as I was dialing in the fit still.  Now they're threadlocked (he supplies red loctite but I used blue as I don't want a permanent lock like the red provides) and no issues.  Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with them thus far.

 

 

Edited by jerd31
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have one of the tester kits. I have not installed it because I am concerned about uninstalling it because the back of the binding post has no screwdriver or hex point, so there's really no way to grab the backside of the post if you need to break the threadlocker free or the posts get rusty. I have been working with the designer on a couple alternatives. McMaster-Carr is a great resource, but the kind of hardware that's needed doesn't exist within the constraints of how short the hardware needs to be, how much diameter there is in the eyelet, and the low profile needed on the backside.

If anyone here is a wizard with mechanical hardware above and beyond what's in the McMaster-Carr catalog and wants to help me and the creator out, send me a PM, and I'll get you up to speed.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, goalieThreeOne said:

I have one of the tester kits. I have not installed it because I am concerned about uninstalling it because the back of the binding post has no screwdriver or hex point, so there's really no way to grab the backside of the post if you need to break the threadlocker free or the posts get rusty. I have been working with the designer on a couple alternatives. McMaster-Carr is a great resource, but the kind of hardware that's needed doesn't exist within the constraints of how short the hardware needs to be, how much diameter there is in the eyelet, and the low profile needed on the backside.

If anyone here is a wizard with mechanical hardware above and beyond what's in the McMaster-Carr catalog and wants to help me and the creator out, send me a PM, and I'll get you up to speed.

I picked up Chicago screw sets, they’re 1/4” barrel length open posts with 3/8” length truss head screws.  I swapped one of the buckles on each skate with the new hardware and will give them a couple skates to see how it goes.   
 

9CBC772E-8A18-4498-8AD4-EE5C3C7D76D9.thumb.jpeg.29e6ba6de39cf947d1a747a643615ceb.jpeg8BECEF5F-92A6-43F8-BB34-DC543E077CEF.thumb.jpeg.1b70019a244c2925949b8fbe195f7da1.jpeg70F7CB85-FF67-492B-B21B-C519EA117D83.thumb.jpeg.c4581a77b32ef910e4a3bfc173c839bf.jpegCD407BDB-4A7B-4C87-9920-19D6828E0C56.thumb.jpeg.8a149f23f217ce3844adf9f7cfe45f7f.jpeg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jerd31 said:

I picked up Chicago screw sets, they’re 1/4” barrel length open posts with 3/8” length truss head screws.  I swapped one of the buckles on each skate with the new hardware and will give them a couple skates to see how it goes.   
 

9CBC772E-8A18-4498-8AD4-EE5C3C7D76D9.thumb.jpeg.29e6ba6de39cf947d1a747a643615ceb.jpeg8BECEF5F-92A6-43F8-BB34-DC543E077CEF.thumb.jpeg.1b70019a244c2925949b8fbe195f7da1.jpeg70F7CB85-FF67-492B-B21B-C519EA117D83.thumb.jpeg.c4581a77b32ef910e4a3bfc173c839bf.jpegCD407BDB-4A7B-4C87-9920-19D6828E0C56.thumb.jpeg.8a149f23f217ce3844adf9f7cfe45f7f.jpeg

Do you think the height of the heads is too much? I'm concerned about both discomfort and possible damage to the tongue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, goalieThreeOne said:

Do you think the height of the heads is too much? I'm concerned about both discomfort and possible damage to the tongue.

No, the screw doesn’t extend beyond the head on the barrel.  Even though the screw is 1/8” longer than the barrel, that length gets eaten up by the buckle and skate/rivet.  Imo the screws Javi uses are too short, he should go with 3/8”.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, jerd31 said:

No, the screw doesn’t extend beyond the head on the barrel.  Even though the screw is 1/8” longer than the barrel, that length gets eaten up by the buckle and skate/rivet.  Imo the screws Javi uses are too short, he should go with 3/8”.

Sorry, I'm referring to the head on the post portion. I'm concerned about the back side. That was my issues looking into binding posts and screw sets. The lowest profile binding post I could find was like 3/8.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, goalieThreeOne said:

Sorry, I'm referring to the head on the post portion. I'm concerned about the back side. That was my issues looking into binding posts and screw sets. The lowest profile binding post I could find was like 3/8.

I think I follow what you're talking about, and I don't think it sticks out enough to cause any issues.

I played a game last night and had no issues with the different screws/posts on the top buckle on each skate.  I'll give it another skate or two then, if all is well, switch them all over and threadlock them.

Edited by jerd31
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, jerd31 said:

I think I follow what you're talking about, and I don't think it sticks out enough to cause any issues.

I played a game last night and had no issues with the different screws/posts on the top buckle on each skate.  I'll give it another skate or two then, if all is well, switch them all over and threadlock them.

If you end up liking them, can you share the full specs/part numbers? What you've got there is close to the option I was discussing with the creator

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Definitely want to know how any of you narrow foot guys like these.  I tried option B straps and could never get the velcro tight enough.  Thinking these should work much better for narrow feet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, daffy said:

Definitely want to know how any of you narrow foot guys like these.  I tried option B straps and could never get the velcro tight enough.  Thinking these should work much better for narrow feet.

When I was scanned by Bauer, they told me I was a sub-C width. Not sure how much narrower a foot can get than mine. Once I get my hardware sorted out, I'll report back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, goalieThreeOne said:

When I was scanned by Bauer, they told me I was a sub-C width. Not sure how much narrower a foot can get than mine. Once I get my hardware sorted out, I'll report back.

Both FT2 and Fit 1 Pros were too wide for me lol

On the Bauer scanner I was as narrow as the slider gets. Thats why I had True skates and hopefully konekt isn't too wide

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, goalieThreeOne said:

When I was scanned by Bauer, they told me I was a sub-C width. Not sure how much narrower a foot can get than mine. Once I get my hardware sorted out, I'll report back.

Awesome, that would be great.  Sounds like we have close to same width.  Will watch this thread for your review on them.  Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey Everyone!

This is my first time on the TGN boards, so bear with me!

 

Im excited about the interest this project has been getting and am also thrilled with the feedback I’ve been receiving from the test groups!

 

I have taken the website down temporarily as I work through a few hoops on the “business” end of things. It’s a fair bit of work to set things up properly. 
 

That being said, I hope to have things running in the near future and have made some modifications to the kit to address some of the issues mentioned above (now including longer screws, blue loctite since learning red is nearly permanent, etc). 
 

I’ll let everyone know when I get the website back up and I can start fulfilling orders again. I’m still in the process of receiving feedback from the test groups as well (group 2 is shipping out tomorrow or over the weekend!) Thanks again to everyone that has been providing feedback and to those of you that have interest in the project/have been following on Reddit!

~ Javi

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Hi again everyone!

Just wanted to give an update on the project..

I launched a new website: TendyMods.com

You can check it out and I am now accepting orders on a rolling basis! Meaning I will fulfill orders within a 2 week period from when they are received until I can build up an inventory and start fulfilling orders as they come in.

Thanks everyone for your interest in the project! The blog on the website has a history of posts with how the project has progressed, and I want to thank all of the testers for the feedback I have received as it has helped shape the kit into something that I am proud of!

IMG_2827.JPG

IMG_2788.JPG

IMG_2811.JPG

IMG_2798.JPG

IMG_2816.JPG

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/8/2022 at 9:01 AM, johncho said:

Not that I'm committing to buying one, but it could be interesting to maybe have a hybrid of laces up to a point and then one of these buckles at the top.

 

I do have a tester that used just one buckle up at the top! In the future, I'm planning on offering the kit on a per-buckle basis if there is enough interest but I need to build up my inventory first to be able to do so.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...