VH Goalie Skate - Cowlingless?

IPv6Freely

My VH skates were made in June 2015 with Bauer cowlings mounted. Was this before or after the goalie boots started being made with extra protection to allow for a cowlingless holder?  I'm assuming that at some point the boots were changed so that they are ALL made with a reinforced boot so they can be used with any holder, with or without a cowling. Is that accurate?

TL;DR: Can I put Bauer (or step) holders on these boots from mid-2015?

5 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

My VH skates were made in June 2015 with Bauer cowlings mounted. Was this before or after the goalie boots started being made with extra protection to allow for a cowlingless holder?  I'm assuming that at some point the boots were changed so that they are ALL made with a reinforced boot so they can be used with any holder, with or without a cowling. Is that accurate?

A couple questions first...

was cowlingless an option when you ordered? If not, I’d assume you need a cowling. 

If cowlingless was an option, did you specify at time of order? If not, you’re probably stuck.  

Tim or another True rep can probably assist in confirming for sure.  You’ll need your order date and possibly a code off the inside of your boots to find out  

From what I understand, the switch to cowlingless came as a response to the 1S skate, which came in 2016(?).  The True branded VH holder and steel rolled out with the rebrand. I know for a fact that everything after the switch to True branding is able to go cowlingless as Tim and I discussed the subject over Facebook chat. 

19 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

A couple questions first...

was cowlingless an option when you ordered? If not, I’d assume you need a cowling. 

If cowlingless was an option, did you specify at time of order? If not, you’re probably stuck.  

Tim or another True rep can probably assist in confirming for sure.  You’ll need your order date and possibly a code off the inside of your boots to find out  

From what I understand, the switch to cowlingless came as a response to the 1S skate, which came in 2016(?).  The True branded VH holder and steel rolled out with the rebrand. I know for a fact that everything after the switch to True branding is able to go cowlingless as Tim and I discussed the subject over Facebook chat. 

Yeah it’s really a timeline thing. I don’t think the two piece was out yet but I think the one piece was. 

I bought them from VH with Bauer cowlings so I’m expecting to be told I’m shit outta luck, but like you said at some point they started making all of them - regardless of the holder that gets installed - with the reinforced boot.

FYI - I just got this from Rob:

Unfortunately, in 2015 we were not re-enforcing the toe caps.  We have had goalies make the swap with the standard toe caps and have no issues.  It is not something that we recommend.  We started re-enforcing the toe caps in mid 2016.

So there's my answer. My skates are almost 3 years old so maybe it's time to start looking at new ones ;) 

17 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

You mean you’re not going to go cowling-free with your current set?

?

I considered it. Whole lot more likely to get hit in the toe cap as a defenceman than as a goalie, and they don't have re-enforced toe caps. 

But I want a new pair anyway. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/29/2018 at 4:31 PM, IPv6Freely said:

If you want something that is the same as cowlingless go the new CCM holder as it has literally the same attack angle as the cowlingless skates.  It's why ccm hasn't gone that route and technically speaking CCM has 1 degree better attack angle than Bauer according to my rep.

4 hours ago, thebigm said:

If you want something that is the same as cowlingless go the new CCM holder as it has literally the same attack angle as the cowlingless skates.  It's why ccm hasn't gone that route and technically speaking CCM has 1 degree better attack angle than Bauer according to my rep.

I keep seeing you posts where you're throwing around "my rep", "my source", "my price book"...do you represent a hockey shop?

4 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I keep seeing you posts where you're throwing around "my rep", "my source", "my price book"...do you represent a hockey shop?

yes I work for Skaters Edge Source for Sports!

It's why I can give certain definitive answers on some topics/ prices.

5 minutes ago, thebigm said:

yes I work for Skaters Edge Source for Sports!

It's why I can give certain definitive answers on some topics/ prices.

Oh ok , thanks for verifying!  Just so everyone is aware and doesn't think you're just talking out of your ass, would you mind making some kind of avatar for Skater's Edge?  Most of our users who represent shops have done the same.

On 3/27/2018 at 1:43 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

Oh ok , thanks for verifying!  Just so everyone is aware and doesn't think you're just talking out of your ass, would you mind making some kind of avatar for Skater's Edge?  Most of our users who represent shops have done the same.

No problem!

Made this tonight. Really happy I did saves weight compared to my cut Bauer cowling. Has the same attack angle as a stock 1s skate. I put reg step steel in it  may try extremes  

New ccm attack cowling what’s on the super tack skate and the new AS1. 

As close as you can get to cowlingless without going cowlingless  

B7BFDEED-A78D-4D74-9459-B825B4C2E0AF.jpeg

6D29AFA4-595F-4771-95CA-BA3CFE76D198.jpeg

871FAF3A-3CCC-4E1C-98A0-5D1C405D51A5.jpeg

288D988C-A907-4745-982E-827E5C4E1A8A.jpeg

63E802A5-5A56-4444-8698-1BEC76F8BB19.jpeg

D13FD917-3AEA-400B-9353-0CDDD35BF0DD.jpeg

• 1 year later...
On 3/28/2018 at 10:15 PM, thebigm said:

Made this tonight. Really happy I did saves weight compared to my cut Bauer cowling. Has the same attack angle as a stock 1s skate. I put reg step steel in it  may try extremes  

SUPER late here, but what size skate/ cowling combo did you use? Thinking of doing this exact thing with my VH PRs in a size 9

On 3/28/2018 at 11:15 PM, thebigm said:

How do they size compared to bauer cowling?

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/19/2019 at 4:21 PM, LordOfTheCrease said:

SUPER late here, but what size skate/ cowling combo did you use? Thinking of doing this exact thing with my VH PRs in a size 9

my skate is an 8 I used a 9 holder I should have used an 8 would have been better and the steel is the same size.

On 10/19/2019 at 7:25 PM, Xdave90x said:

How do they size compared to bauer cowling?

See previous post

Archived