Getting Lifted?

Fullright

This might be a generational type question. What do you guys think about yanked? Seems that some guys complain about being left in when things go south.  A friend of mine who coaches youth level - midgets which around here is 15 & 16 year olds - asked me about it because one of his goalies was pissed coach left him in net. The team played like junk but he played well. Personally, I wanted to stay in, as did my peers,  no matter whether the game turned into a beat down or whether I couldn't stop a beach ball. I really didn't know what to tell him so I very gently told him my thoughts. Has the approach to this problem changed? 

It`s a generation thing. Personally, I would just stay till the end regardless (← see this Richter :giggle:). Of course i`d be pissed of either mine or their performance, but quiting isn`t an option. It shows caracter and also discipline and responsibility. So it`s a gone situation, put it behind you and move on.

If anything I`d be pissed for being pulled but that`s just the competitor in me.

For a moment, judging by the title, I thought this thread was about Creed making a comeback :rofl:

2 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

There are times I wish I could have been lifted. If you’re getting shelled because of poor team play, it can really f*** up your mind depending on the person.

I'd be hard pressed to ever say I was happy to have a musical interlude on my behalf... and I do agree it's mentally challenging regardless of the situation (team or you or both not playing well.) This is especially true for young goaltenders... but I think that's the entire reason to keep them in more often than not. They need to experience bad days and good to allow them to get that even keel in all situations.

I don't coach (yet) but I can't say I would have much confidence in a goalie who ever wanted to be pulled. Taking them aside either between periods or after the game is immensely important. Let them know you understand what they may have been thinking and let them know you think they're good enough and strong enough to battle through it. Some of my worst games gave me the most confidence because of a simple two minutes a coach decided to take for me. (Keep in mind I'm not talking letting in 5 of the first 6 shots in Midgets... that's curtain call worthy.) As the years go by the kids who can't handle it get weeded out naturally... but the earlier you can instill a realistic confidence and battle mentality the better... in hockey and life.

I mean lets be honest... getting lit up and not having most of them be your fault is what beer league is all about... and we're really just getting these kids ready for that.

My coach in college literally had a 3 goal rule and it made me mental. There were a couple games that I got actually got the hook and then reentered the game. 

Beyond that, I have no problem with it. There are times in men's league when I my head is elsewhere, like work, and I have a stinker. For the good of my team, I would be okay being yanked and giving the team a fighting chance, haha

Let's be honest. . . It sucks, but I think at the pro level, guys have to think team first and realize they are just having a bad day at work. 

Sometimes, the way certain games are going, would LOVE to have a backup stepping in! But, it's beer league, so no chance of that happening. As a kid, I've been put on a the bench for an extra shift or two so the coach could take all the time he wanted in explaining my mistake (I.E having me sit there for an extra 4mins of silence and then 10sec before I went back out telling me not to f-up). 

I'm fully in the camp of letting a kid experience the hard times that come with being a hockey player. That said, bring them to the bench and talk to them between periods or call a time out. Let the kid know that no one cares about the first 5 you let in. Lets start with the next save and move on from there. Fight through it. Show the kid that the world hasn't ended and let him/her discover that good can be salvaged from bad. Builds character if done the right way.

3 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

I'd be hard pressed to ever say I was happy to have a musical interlude on my behalf... and I do agree it's mentally challenging regardless of the situation (team or you or both not playing well.) This is especially true for young goaltenders... but I think that's the entire reason to keep them in more often than not. They need to experience bad days and good to allow them to get that even keel in all situations.

I don't coach (yet) but I can't say I would have much confidence in a goalie who ever wanted to be pulled. Taking them aside either between periods or after the game is immensely important. Let them know you understand what they may have been thinking and let them know you think they're good enough and strong enough to battle through it. Some of my worst games gave me the most confidence because of a simple two minutes a coach decided to take for me. (Keep in mind I'm not talking letting in 5 of the first 6 shots in Midgets... that's curtain call worthy.) As the years go by the kids who can't handle it get weeded out naturally... but the earlier you can instill a realistic confidence and battle mentality the better... in hockey and life.

I mean lets be honest... getting lit up and not having most of them be your fault is what beer league is all about... and we're really just getting these kids ready for that.

I get your point. And I should have clarified myself more. It depends on the situation. And I don’t lift myself. In fact- I probably care the least. I do laugh when it is a 10.75 GAA because the other goalie is having a worse time. I shrug and say things like “am I a towel or a sheet ‘cos I’m getting hung out to dry!”  I always say the following mantra: “I will not be homeless or shipped to a town 150 miles away from the nearest airport.  I will be fine”.

In the infamous  case of leaving Roy in the game for nine goals, leaving him in just made him angry, and I would be angry, too in a case like that, especially knowing that coach was trying to make an example of me.  

Personally, I hated it irrespective of whether it was my play or the team's play and to my shame did the Lehner death stare when it happened to me no matter whether it was pee wee or junior/college. For myself,  getting yanked was the biggest source of embarrassment more so than an astronomical goals against. But times change and I'll be sure and pass along the feedback here to the coach in question who usually stops by here to see how his goals against me in my videos look...never hear the end of it. :)

9 hours ago, Fullright said:

This might be a generational type question. What do you guys think about yanked? Seems that some guys complain about being left in when things go south.  A friend of mine who coaches youth level - midgets which around here is 15 & 16 year olds - asked me about it because one of his goalies was pissed coach left him in net. The team played like junk but he played well. Personally, I wanted to stay in, as did my peers,  no matter whether the game turned into a beat down or whether I couldn't stop a beach ball. I really didn't know what to tell him so I very gently told him my thoughts. Has the approach to this problem changed? 

So my opinion is that communication is the key. If you're tendy feels he should be pulled , as a coach, you need to communicate why you're leaving him in. And visa versa, If you're pulling him and he feels he should stay... communicate your reasoning.

Personally, I threw a fit when I was pulled. Broken sticks, mask tossed, water bottles, chairs,. Frankly I was an embarrassment to myself and my team. May as well have removed a silver medal immediately after receiving it. :giggle:

When I was 19, I used to have a backup that was so bad my coach used it against my team a few times. I had like 30 saves after two periods, 3-3 tie, one of the few reasons it wasn't a total shitshow. After the second period, backup comes off the bench with his stick and tells me "Coach said I'm in". After letting off steam (aka atomizing a stick), I cheer on the dude hoping he can survive. First shot against him was a goal. After that my team outshot them 19-2 in the third and won 6-4. My coach would then pull out the "Do I have to put [name redacted] in, guys?" if we played lazy in front of me to scare them back into form. It worked, but I hated it at the same time. Wasn't fair to either of us since on some level that kid had to know what was up.

I also used to have a coach who actually hated pulling goalies, unless it was to split a game, or if we were winning big. Felt so bad for my backup when he had a really rough start, like was not his day kind of start, and got left in for 13 goals...in 2 periods. This was in AAA hockey too. 

For the most part, getting pulled SUCKS. That skate of shame and all those eyes knowing you failed. Usually getting pulled, or letting in more than 5 meant a new stick because something was getting smashed after a game like that, win or loss. I used to go through a lot of lumber. I now smash water bottles because it's like two bucks versus a hundred-something, but I've even mellowed on that since I'm just happy to play again after last session's injury mess. 

In men's league I've tried taping two sticks differently. If I can't mentally rebound after a bad start or stretch, I go to the bench and switch sticks, like I'm a fresh goalie. It's worked a few times. 

Archived