Mckenney Gear

RichMan

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, RichMan said:

Any new users and/or updates lately?

Very happy with my glove set after a year of use. No stingers in the glove and the blocker still has some pop to it. I haven't noticed any fraying or loose stitching yet either.

• Like 2

Any new users and/or updates lately?

Wore my new XGP2 pro pants and jock yesterday for the first skate. Need to be broken in more but played as well as my Prospec set I had previously.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Drew37 said:

Wore my new XGP2 pro pants and jock yesterday for the first skate. Need to be broken in more but played as well as my Prospec set I had previously.

If I may ask, what size pants did you choose? What c/a do you use with them and do you tuck or un-tuck? What difference do you notice compared to your Pro Spec ones from before and why choose the Pro Elite over the Pro?

Honestly this should be the "Tell me more" meme template. : r/DunderMifflin

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, RichMan said:

If I may ask, what size pants did you choose? What c/a do you use with them and do you tuck or un-tuck? What difference do you notice compared to your Pro Spec ones from before and why choose the Pro Elite over the Pro?

Gonna ask if he's cut/uncut next? 

• Haha 1

-3xl

-Gnetik ll(will probably be upgrading soon.

-Untucked. 

Not much difference so far. Feels like has a bit more protection in the front at least as it interfered with the CCM KP Pro knee pads I was trying out (switched back to my 1x knee pads) but other then the stiffness from being new felt the same.

Mine are Pro, not Pro Elite. But I chose the Pro as they are protective enough for less $. If I go with the chesty from them I would make the same decision.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Drew37 said:

-3xl

-Gnetik ll(will probably be upgrading soon.

-Untucked. 

Not much difference so far. Feels like has a bit more protection in the front at least as it interfered with the CCM KP Pro knee pads I was trying out (switched back to my 1x knee pads) but other then the stiffness from being new felt the same.

Mine are Pro, not Pro Elite. But I chose the Pro as they are protective enough for less $. If I go with the chesty from them I would make the same decision.

Ok. I have the old 870 Pro Spec ones, basically like your new ones but before they added the front flaps. That is a definite bonus protection compared to mine. Never got hurt but I'm sure you feel the difference. I am interested in the Pro Elite only because they resemble the CCM 12A quite a bit for less and can be NHL team customised. The Pro is very barrel like, huge at the hips and thighs. 15+ years on mine and although still holding strong, I'm dreaming of my next ones.

• 2 months later...

Went to one of the PHL on Bank St. in Ottawa today in hopes of getting a good first impression of their XPG2 line. Unfortunately, all they had in store were the 2 model pants and the 2 model chesties. I was half bummed about that. They said not all the gear was received at once. Not knowing if the Kanata location has some, I find this bad for Mckenney that probably negotiated their ass off to get into PHLs. 

In any case, here are my impressions of the gear I DID see:

Starting with the pants, the Pro, they are generally the same as the 855 was and the 870 was, barrel like shape and closed back. Only difference is the added flaps on the front a la CCM/Vaughn and the internal belt. The Pro Elite one is more of the CCM A12 copy, open segmented back, internal belt, front flaps and a slightly more streamlined fit. There's probably a little more padding involved in the inside girdle that I couldn't notice off the bat. Both have a different nylon material than mine. It's more of a shiny nylon vs mine being more likely to a corduroy nylon (they are that old yes). They do feel heavier than my 855s, maybe a pound or 2, who knows, but there is more protection, so it's understandable.

Now with the c/a, the Pro hasn't changed that much from the 870 Pro Spec other than slightly more shoulder/wing width and improved rib coverage and the arms that were on the 890 Instinct before the new lines. The body remains the same traditional look a la Helite H5 of old. The Pro Elite one is a special one, a beast! It's heavy. Reminds me of my Brown 503 I had. Is it because of plastic inserts or simply added HD foams here and there? Don't know for sure. I tried on a large. I'm 6'2, broad shoulders but medium like torso length. I thought it fit ok, but I should of tried on a medium just to compare. Oh well. The thing presents itself quite big. Reminded my of my GT2 and also an Optik I tried a couple moons ago. The arms were fairly mobile in terms of circle movements, reaching my face, my head, etc. The bend in the arms were stiff as expected and felt a bit like the AB18 I wore for a game or 2. I feel like this unit is definitely an outie c/a just for the shape of the belly and how it sits on you. I will say with confidence that the Pro Elite is up there in protection with the big boys. The arms are long, adjustable with velcro straps like most brands are doing now. The one thing that either bugs me or confuses me is the wrist velcros. They're like separate from the forearm but still sewn underneath, so like a floating wrist? What confuses me is that there's a female velcro layer at the end of the forearm where the wrist ends but you can't necessarily use the velcro strap from the wrists themselves. Odd and I'd like to ask Trevor why is that.

So unless the Kanata location has the pads and gloves in store for me to check out, it will be a while before I can do the same impressions review for those.

• Like 1