Mckenney Gear

RichMan

3 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Notice how it doesn’t say “preferred” or “exclusive” meaning McKenney has the rights to show their equipment and name in the AHL but doesn’t necessarily require goalies to wear it. Super risky move for a smaller brand like them with very few goalies in their equipment 

I'm sure a major factor for them to take this step is a goalie or two wearing their gear. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Notice how it doesn’t say “preferred” or “exclusive” meaning McKenney has the rights to show their equipment and name in the AHL but doesn’t necessarily require goalies to wear it. Super risky move for a smaller brand like them with very few goalies in their equipment 

Well Mckenney has been big with some pros in Europe. The North American territory is very well protected (under siege) by the big boys we all know. The bigger the box, the bigger the budget.

On 8/20/2022 at 12:47 AM, RichMan said:

Well Mckenney has been big with some pros in Europe. 

I don't follow every Euro leagues but I don't remember any pro goalie to use McKenney gear. They might have made some ghosted gears, pants and chest/arms but I wouln't say the are big with Euro pros. Normally Euro pro team has contract with Bauer, CCM or Warrior and goalies use gear of that brand. Sometimes goalies are not under that contract and can choose whatever they want.

3 hours ago, Korppi32 said:

I don't follow every Euro leagues but I don't remember any pro goalie to use McKenney gear. They might have made some ghosted gears, pants and chest/arms but I wouln't say the are big with Euro pros. Normally Euro pro team has contract with Bauer, CCM or Warrior and goalies use gear of that brand. Sometimes goalies are not under that contract and can choose whatever they want.

GoaliePro out of Finland were a big user of their gear. They came up with their own brand but I'm sure Mckenney is ghosting it. Maybe Jukka (Ropponen) can confirm. He's one of the lead coaches for their pro mentorship. 

https://goaliepro.com/

1 hour ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Been eyeing their Pro and Pro Elite pants for a while. Anyone have any feedback on weight, mobility, etc.? Seems like folks who own these feel build quality and durability is great. Also is the internal belt removable?

I own their older model Pro series, before the internal belt and they are top notch. I've been playing in them for 10+ years and they are just recently showing some wear. Of course it depends how much you play, what level and how well you take care of your gear. Protection is perfect. The Elite GXP2 model has to be on par with actual NHL gear. 

Edited by RichMan

On 8/21/2022 at 4:05 PM, RichMan said:

GoaliePro out of Finland were a big user of their gear. They came up with their own brand but I'm sure Mckenney is ghosting it. Maybe Jukka (Ropponen) can confirm. He's one of the lead coaches for their pro mentorship. 

Yes, Goaliepro is a distributor/importer in Finland but their own brand is/was not ghosted by McKenney. McKenney is very very small brand in Europe.

On 8/21/2022 at 9:05 AM, RichMan said:

https://goaliepro.com/

I own their older model Pro series, before the internal belt and they are top notch. I've been playing in them for 10+ years and they are just recently showing some wear. Of course it depends how much you play, what level and how well you take care of your gear. Protection is perfect. The Elite GXP2 model has to be on par with actual NHL gear. 

Thanks for the response. I decided to order a pair and give them a shot.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, jerd31 said:

Did you get the pants yet?  If so what’re your thoughts?

I did. Very happy with them so far, but only played in them <5 times. Build quality is outstanding. No issues with fit or protection so far. I like the tapered waist as I prefer to have the belly pad of my Mach C/A hang out now. I also really like that it does not have a bulky spine protector (like my Warriors did). I really dislike having my jersey get tangled up or have the spine protector pushing against the backplate of my C/A.

Just one relatively minor gripe and I hesitate to even say this because its a small company and they seem great in every other regard - although they say "in stock and ready to ship" on the black pants, mine took 10 days from ordering to actually ship. Just think anyone ordering should be prepared for this slight delay.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

I did. Very happy with them so far, but only played in them <5 times. Build quality is outstanding. No issues with fit or protection so far. I like the tapered waist as I prefer to have the belly pad of my Mach C/A hang out now. I also really like that it does not have a bulky spine protector (like my Warriors did). I really dislike having my jersey get tangled up or have the spine protector pushing against the backplate of my C/A.

Just one relatively minor gripe and I hesitate to even say this because its a small company and they seem great in every other regard - although they say "in stock and ready to ship" on the black pants, mine took 10 days from ordering to actually ship. Just think anyone ordering should be prepared for this slight delay.

Nice- my pants are ~15 years old, tried a pair of Warrior X3 Pro +'s and haaaated them, they were just too bulky for me.  I've had my eye on the McKenney's for a while, might have to scoop them up.

@Punisher Goalie are you in Canada or US? US clients get to order directly whereas Canadian clients have to go through a pro shop. That could explain the delay maybe?

You ordered the Pro Spec ones. What size? With or without suspenders? I'm asking cause if I try to wear mine that are XL without and don't tuck, they feel like an oversized diaper falling off my ass. I see a lot of goalies play with their pants loose, mostly the teens, and shit ain't even sagging. I know it's not cause of glutes implants lolll. Maybe the internal belt? Never experienced one before.

2 minutes ago, RichMan said:

@Punisher Goalie are you in Canada or US? US clients get to order directly whereas Canadian clients have to go through a pro shop. That could explain the delay maybe?

You ordered the Pro Spec ones. What size? With or without suspenders? I'm asking cause if I try to wear mine that are XL without and don't tuck, they feel like an oversized diaper falling off my ass. I see a lot of goalies play with their pants loose, mostly the teens, and shit ain't even sagging. I know it's not cause of glutes implants lolll. Maybe the internal belt? Never experienced one before.

I'm in the US and placed my order on the website.

I ordered size small (30" waist) and do not use suspenders. I use the backplate fight strap on my Mach C/A fed thru the internal belt to connect at the back and I use the front laces to tie into the front of the C/A. Has the dual benefit of keeping the pants up and the C/A down.

I would say if you sized these right, the internal belt seems solid, although I don't really use it as intended. 

2 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

I'm in the US and placed my order on the website.

I ordered size small (30" waist) and do not use suspenders. I use the backplate fight strap on my Mach C/A fed thru the internal belt to connect at the back and I use the front laces to tie into the front of the C/A. Has the dual benefit of keeping the pants up and the C/A down.

I would say if you sized these right, the internal belt seems solid, although I don't really use it as intended. 

Got it. What model c\a you using?

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered a custom McKenney 870 pants in 2014. Colors were royal blue and orange, plus a custom curved stripe and a custom graphic. The pants did everything they needed to do.

McKenney 870 Custom Pants 01.JPG

McKenney 870 Custom Pants 02.JPG

Shortly after ordering my custom Brian's set, I was thinking of ordering a custom pant shell in navy, but I was convinced to order new pants. 😎

I added the stripe for some pop with the set (the bronze delayed my pants because they had to track down the material). I provided the patch to McKenney and they agreed to add it to the pants. The secondary logo gives it a '90s vibe - think Buffalo Sabres in their black and red jerseys.

The McKenney XPG2 Pro is essentially the same pant as the 870, though with an added inner belt. Fits and feels very similar. I wore them immediately with my new gear and they feel good in them.

I maintain that this pant is the best value on the market - lots of options, high quality, made in Canada - all at a very reasonable price. Would recommend!

1368406403_NewGearPickup08.thumb.jpg.12e69eda142d776e893f7130371efc23.jpg640025235_NewGearPickup09.thumb.jpg.63ffbbcff71f5fc2746b1651666965d2.jpg

Edited by Lemieux
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, RichMan said:

Gonna ask here since I asked in a specific thread and no one answered.

How do you fit the inner pant belt with a goalie cup? Doesn't the upper padding of the cup get in the way of tightening the belt? 

No problems with this on mine. The padding of the inner belt does not come all the way around to the front and the belt itself comes out of the waist protector near the front for tightening. I wear a Bauer Supreme pro model jock and I don’t experience any interference. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, RichMan said:

Gonna ask here since I asked in a specific thread and no one answered.

How do you fit the inner pant belt with a goalie cup? Doesn't the upper padding of the cup get in the way of tightening the belt? 

Asking specifically about McKenney, or just generally?