Mckenney Gear

RichMan

53 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Nearing the two week mark (order placed on the 7th), not a word from Mckenney on the progress of the pants. For all I know they could be here tomorrow...

...or next month.

Not sure where you're based @Drew37 but I would think shipping to Wisconsin wouldn't take too long. True didn't have any issues sending skates back and forth from the Dells to Canada.

I am in Northern Ontario, so only about 4 hours away from them.  I never heard from them as well so I contacted them and was told they were to be shipped the next day and then I got them the day after that.  Shipping over the border right now is a crap shoot.  Some things I've gotten quickly, some took forever. I would contact them and check in with your order number.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Drew37 said:

I am in Northern Ontario, so only about 4 hours away from them.  I never heard from them as well so I contacted them and was told they were to be shipped the next day and then I got them the day after that.  Shipping over the border right now is a crap shoot.  Some things I've gotten quickly, some took forever. I would contact them and check in with your order number.

Ah glad I checked. Hopefully they use anything but U.S. mail or it'll never get here. I'll probably call within the next day or so since I don't have school tomorrow or Wednesday. It amazes me how small the order numbers are!

11 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Ah glad I checked. Hopefully they use anything but U.S. mail or it'll never get here. I'll probably call within the next day or so since I don't have school tomorrow or Wednesday. It amazes me how small the order numbers are!

Mine were shipped by Canpar.  Not sure if they ship through them for international though.

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

@Drew37 out of curiosity I have two questions. How much do the pants you ordered weigh and was there anything else in the box. Shipping label says the box is 8lbs for size small pants

Not sure about the weight as I never checked it.  Had some packing fill and cardboard sheets in there as well.  It just gave me a flat shipping rate so I never paid attention to that.

3 minutes ago, Drew37 said:

Never had a chance to see it in person.  I was thinking about getting it but went with a Passau instead.  It looks top notch though.

So hard to find reviews on their gear on the web. They don't post any of their own, whether article or video 

6 minutes ago, RichMan said:

So hard to find reviews on their gear on the web. They don't post any of their own, whether article or video 

Agreed.  From experience though, I believe one thing you don't have to worry about with them is quality.  My local shop carries low quanity of McKenney gear and I was able to score a great glove set on clearance.  Best set I've ever owned.  So when I was looking for pants, I was happy to see I could get a pair from them for a great price.  Haven't been able to wear yet because of lockdowns but the quality again is great.  Chest protectors are hard though.  Fit means so much to those.  The quality could be great but if the fit isn't right it's hard to buy sight unseen especially without others reviews or videos.

Edited by Drew37
Spelling

6 minutes ago, Drew37 said:

Agreed.  From experience though, I believe one thing you don't have to worry about with them is quality.  My local shop carries low quanity of McKenney gear and I was able to score a great glove set on clearance.  Best set I've ever owned.  So when I was looking for pants, I was happy to see I could get a pair from them for a great price.  Haven't been able to wear yet because of lockdowns but the quality again is great.  Chest protectors are hard though.  Fit means so much to those.  The quality could be great but if the fit isn't right it's hard to buy sight unseen especially without others reviews or videos.

Agreed. Been wearing their pants for 20 years or so. Owned their 870 c/a on 2 separate occasions. Could of owned the 890 used but it felt small on me.

Can't go wrong with them.

22 minutes ago, RichMan said:

Agreed. Been wearing their pants for 20 years or so. Owned their 870 c/a on 2 separate occasions. Could of owned the 890 used but it felt small on me.

Can't go wrong with them.

One thing I noticed when I ordered my pants is that they are very accommodating so if you had any questions or requests for it they would probably be able to do it.

14 hours ago, Drew37 said:

One thing I noticed when I ordered my pants is that they are very accommodating so if you had any questions or requests for it they would probably be able to do it.

To some extent, that is true. I did talk to Trevor on the phone when I ordered my second c/a. I requested an arm switch with the 890 of the time. Not a complicated order but we did discuss specs to make sure I ordered the right model for me.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, GoalieNut said:

Just wondering how the McKenney C/A compares to the other off the shelf Pro units available.  Has anyone on here used both and are they comparable in terms of protection and quality?  Thanks.

Owned the Pro-spec twice and it was ample protective for beer league. If you play higher like College/University, Major Junior, Pros, it might not be up to par. I don't mind feeling shots and you could get the occasional stinger. It's a unit someone like Brodeur would have the courage of using at a pro level.

The XPG1 which is the newer 890 Instinct is much beefier and would be considered equal to any pro model at retail.

As reference, I've also worn Brown, CCM H5 pro-return, RBK P1. I currently have a Warrior pro GT2 that I haven't tested yet.  

14 hours ago, RichMan said:

Owned the Pro-spec twice and it was ample protective for beer league. If you play higher like College/University, Major Junior, Pros, it might not be up to par. I don't mind feeling shots and you could get the occasional stinger. It's a unit someone like Brodeur would have the courage of using at a pro level.

The XPG1 which is the newer 890 Instinct is much beefier and would be considered equal to any pro model at retail.

As reference, I've also worn Brown, CCM H5 pro-return, RBK P1. I currently have a Warrior pro GT2 that I haven't tested yet.  

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 2/6/2021 at 12:34 PM, ThatCarGuy said:

@Drew37 out of curiosity I have two questions. How much do the pants you ordered weigh and was there anything else in the box. Shipping label says the box is 8lbs for size small pants

When my wife gets alarmed at my weight - I'll remind her that I'm wearing 8 pound pants.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, keeperton said:

I have no insider knowledge, but I expect this will come more as a C/A thing since that's seemed to be their biggest hit.

Happy for them regardless.

I thought the same, c/a and pants but who knows. I just hope this won't ramp up their prices any higher than they already have the past 3 years. I still want to be able to afford some of their stuff :D 

Notice how it doesn’t say “preferred” or “exclusive” meaning McKenney has the rights to show their equipment and name in the AHL but doesn’t necessarily require goalies to wear it. Super risky move for a smaller brand like them with very few goalies in their equipment 

• Thanks 1