Mckenney Gear

RichMan

3 hours ago, RichMan said:

So as you move around, doesn't the belt push down the whole cup unit? 

I haven't found that to be an issue. The inner belt sits across the very top of my hips, and I pull it (and the outer belt) tight enough that it doesn't shift around on me. I also wear a player cup underneath my goalie cup (I like the extra separation), which might do something to keep the goalie cup in place, but I don't think so because the player cup sits more underneath my groin than in front of it.

• Thanks 1

On 10/8/2022 at 7:09 PM, RichMan said:

I remember the blue/orange ones on GSBB, right?

Looks like you got the Pro model. The Elite one looks like the CCM pro stuff with the open back. Still hot looking!

Yep, that was me! And yes, the Pro model does what it needs to for me. Didn't quite see what benefit I'd get from going to the Pro Elite.

On 10/8/2022 at 7:17 PM, RichMan said:

How do you fit the inner pant belt with a goalie cup? Doesn't the upper padding of the cup get in the way of tightening the belt? 

I fit...snugly into my pants, so I don't rely on the inner belt.

I took a photo below to show where it sits. It appears to rest above the padding of the cup. I haven't noticed any interference.

20221013_082427.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 10/15/2022 at 10:42 AM, Lemieux said:

Yep, that was me! And yes, the Pro model does what it needs to for me. Didn't quite see what benefit I'd get from going to the Pro Elite.

I fit...snugly into my pants, so I don't rely on the inner belt.

I took a photo below to show where it sits. It appears to rest above the padding of the cup. I haven't noticed any interference.

20221013_082427.jpg

Saw your video of you getting your gear at the shop on Youtube. It was golden :D 

On 10/16/2022 at 12:57 AM, ZeroGravitas said:

Anyone know if they make NHL regulation pants now that they are an AHL supplier? E-mailed them earlier this week and haven't heard anything back.

I think their top model is new specs. They look slimmer than the original Instincts.

• 4 weeks later...

Decided to order a pair of XPG 2 Pro Pants.  I initially opted for black w/ orange stitching, but they emailed me the next morning and said it'd take 4-5 weeks for production and they have black w/ white stitching in stock, so I opted for the stock pair.  Shipped same day and received a few days later.  Seemed nice out of the box, not too stiff like my Warrior Ritual RX3 Pro + pants were that I gave up on after about a dozen skates.  

Got one game in with the McKenney's and they seem great- I'm sure they'll break in over time but they felt just fine in my first skate with them.  I removed the inner belt and stuck with my Kova suspenders.  Really happy with them after one game.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Picked up my gloves last week, unfortunately it will be a while before I get to use them. I reached out to McKenney to see if they were flexible with the customizer as I wanted to change a few colour zones. Everything came out as I specified and completed in 5 weeks even though the website said 6-8 weeks.

It was nice to see the adjustable elastic finger tie downs, mostly for when the elastic starts to get old but it gives you more control over how you grip your stick.

IMG_4936 Large.jpeg

IMG_4937 Large.jpeg

IMG_4938 Large.jpeg

• Like 4

On 5/25/2023 at 1:43 AM, Candyman said:

Picked up my gloves last week, unfortunately it will be a while before I get to use them. I reached out to McKenney to see if they were flexible with the customizer as I wanted to change a few colour zones. Everything came out as I specified and completed in 5 weeks even though the website said 6-8 weeks.

It was nice to see the adjustable elastic finger tie downs, mostly for when the elastic starts to get old but it gives you more control over how you grip your stick.

IMG_4936 Large.jpeg

IMG_4937 Large.jpeg

IMG_4938 Large.jpeg

Would you take some photo of the back of the gloves and inside of catcher 😉

How would you compare gloves to the other brands, what is similar brand/model?

And how you see craftmanship - only piece of McKenney equipment I saw in person was pants and they were top in quality. Thanks. 

Edited by mik

HI mik,

I'm coming from an original set of CCM Eflex and the glove closure is very similar to the 600. The gloves are a little heavier than the CCM's but not by much. Build quality looks to be very good, nothing looks out of place and no loose stitching. Here are a few additional pics.

IMG_4958 Large.jpeg

IMG_4957 Large.jpeg

IMG_4956 Large.jpeg

IMG_4954 Large.jpeg

IMG_4955 Large.jpeg

IMG_4953 Large.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/26/2023 at 6:43 PM, Candyman said:

HI mik,

I'm coming from an original set of CCM Eflex and the glove closure is very similar to the 600. The gloves are a little heavier than the CCM's but not by much. Build quality looks to be very good, nothing looks out of place and no loose stitching. Here are a few additional pics.

IMG_4958 Large.jpeg

IMG_4957 Large.jpeg

IMG_4956 Large.jpeg

IMG_4954 Large.jpeg

IMG_4955 Large.jpeg

IMG_4953 Large.jpeg

Thanks! Looks great - simple and well done. 

• 1 month later...
23 hours ago, RichMan said:

Ok...I think it's about time for an update now. I wanna hear how that glove feels in action. Videos are welcomed.

Eager Face GIFs | Tenor

I suppose 4 skates is enough for initial findings!

Glove feels better on my hand than my EFlex 600. The steeper thumb to pocket angle directs everything into the pocket, I would occasionally have the puck just bounce off my thumb before. I found that not using the wrist strap works best for me, I like to keep my C/A wrist loose and that would cause some glove interference.  The two other adjustment straps keep my hand locked in perfectly.

Blocker is what took me the longest to get adjusted to. I found myself dropping my stick while doing casual movements. I suppose the stick shaft would "lock in" with my EFlex but not with the McKenney. I started to tighten up my grip to alleviate this problem; it's more muscle memory than issues with the blocker. On the plus side, holding the water bottle is much easier in the McKenney.

I don't play the puck too often but have not had any issues when doing so. I haven't had any issues with protection either, no stingers yet, very pleased with the purchase so far!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Candyman said:

I suppose 4 skates is enough for initial findings!

Glove feels better on my hand than my EFlex 600. The steeper thumb to pocket angle directs everything into the pocket, I would occasionally have the puck just bounce off my thumb before. I found that not using the wrist strap works best for me, I like to keep my C/A wrist loose and that would cause some glove interference.  The two other adjustment straps keep my hand locked in perfectly.

Blocker is what took me the longest to get adjusted to. I found myself dropping my stick while doing casual movements. I suppose the stick shaft would "lock in" with my EFlex but not with the McKenney. I started to tighten up my grip to alleviate this problem; it's more muscle memory than issues with the blocker. On the plus side, holding the water bottle is much easier in the McKenney.

I don't play the puck too often but have not had any issues when doing so. I haven't had any issues with protection either, no stingers yet, very pleased with the purchase so far!

Were you planning on getting pads as well? Didn't notice if you mentioned it.

2 hours ago, jerd31 said:

I’m really intrigued by their XPG2 Pro gear.   A full set runs ~$2k, about the same price as a set of pro level pads from the big names.  

https://www.instagram.com/p/ClY1FiHOnXj/?igshid=Y2IzZGU1MTFhOQ==

IMG_8303.thumb.jpeg.f0657e53453601d3d0ed475ea757df2b.jpeg

Some months ago they had a crazy low promo price of like 1500$ for a full set or near that. I would of loved to have had the chance.

20 hours ago, RichMan said:

Were you planning on getting pads as well? Didn't notice if you mentioned it.

Some months ago they had a crazy low promo price of like 1500$ for a full set or near that. I would of loved to have had the chance.

Hey RichMan, yes I was looking at a full set originally. The promo pricing in January had me excited to go for a full set. I started playing with the customizer and couldn't decide on what I wanted. In mid February I went to pick up a new stick and saw a pair of BNWT Eflex3 pads sitting on the top shelf partially hidden behind some P4's. The Eflex's were my size and favourable colour plus the price was 2/3 of what new McKenney pads would have cost at that time. I picked those up and then started to play with the McKenney customizer to get the gloves to match. Unfortunately I was unaware that the promo pricing ended March 1 and I missed out on getting the glove set for $100 cheaper. I still don't regret my decision, the McKenney pricing is great and the product is top notch. Family shot attached!

Set.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
23 hours ago, jerd31 said:

@Candyman - what are your thoughts on the gloves after a few months of having them?

Hi @jerd31, I don't have any complaints about the gloves, they are working out great. The steeper thumb angle on the glove has reduced the amount of pop-outs when catching pucks and no stingers to date. I did remove the wrist strap on the catcher as the finger and palm connection points are more than enough. The blocker is well balanced and I no longer drop my stick as I'm used to the connection point with the stick. Overall I'm very pleased with the purchase in terms of fit, feel; performance and price!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...