TGN's 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs Bracket Challenge

MTH

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Does anyone know how the scoring for this thing works? I'm apparently tied with @MTH for 2nd place. I'm 6/7 so far, need Boston to win tonight to go 7/8, but have no idea how I got 60 points from that...

image.png.0116be1a13bf1eec4393422db29619a9.png

https://bracketchallenge.nhl.com/rules

Scoring: There are two (2) ways an Entrant can earn points during the Promotion: Basic Scoring Points and Bonus Points. From all eligible Entries received, each potential winner of the Promotion will be determined based on such Entrant’s ability to use his or her skill and knowledge of hockey in general and the NHL in particular to accumulate the most points during the Promotion Period. 

Basic Scoring: An Entrant must correctly guess the winner of a Series in order to be awarded Basic Scoring Points. Basic Scoring Points per correct prediction/selection per Series in a given Round are shown below:

1st Round: Earn 10 points for each correctly-predicted Series winner.

2nd Round: Earn 25 points for each correctly-predicted Series winner.

3rd Round - Conference Finals: Earn 50 points for each correctly-predicted Series winner.

4th Round - Stanley Cup® Final: Earn 100 points for correctly predicting the winner of the Stanley Cup® Final Series matchup (i.e., the 2018 Stanley Cup® Champion)

In the event a Series does not occur as scheduled (e.g., due to cancellation, postponement, etc.) no points will be awarded in respect of that Series, Bonus Points: For each Series in the 1st Round, there will be one (1) bonus question. The bonus question for each Series in the 1st Round is as follows: the Entrant must predict how many games will be played in that particular Series. If the Entrant correctly answers the bonus question for a given Series, such Entrant shall be awarded three (3) Bonus Points so long as such Entrant also correctly predicted the winner of that Series. By way of example, since there are eight (8) Playoff Series in the 1st Round, there are eight (8) bonus questions to be answered (one per Series). Thus, an Entrant has the opportunity to earn as much as twenty-four (24) Bonus Points in the 1st Round (by correctly answering each bonus question and correctly predicting each Series winner). If an Entrant does not correctly predict the winner of a given Series but correctly answers the bonus question for that Series, then the Entrant will not receive any Bonus Points for that Series. Entrants must answer the bonus question for each 1st Round Series when completing and saving the Bracket prior to the Picks Period Closing Date. An Entrant may change his/her answers to bonus questions before the Picks Period Closing Date, by making any appropriate changes and again re-saving the respective Bracket, but once the Picks Period Closing Date occurs, all answers will lock and may not be changed again. 

2 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Does anyone know how the scoring for this thing works? I'm apparently tied with @MTH for 2nd place. I'm 6/7 so far, need Boston to win tonight to go 7/8, but have no idea how I got 60 points from that...

Tied?

Leafs tonight will push me to 2nd.

Yeah baby!

1 minute ago, MTH said:

Tied?

Leafs tonight will push me to 2nd.

Yeah baby!

I don't have the Leafs getting past Boston... but I'm certainly pulling for them. If they can weather the storm Boston will throw at them in the first 10 min they'll be in a good place. Hell, maybe even get Matthews on the score sheet.

...and in another attempt to jump-start while we're on the topic of game 7 of the Leafs-Bruins, what was Andersen doing after that five hole goal Debrusk scored? Why did he look back, and then put his glove over the five hole...? I mean, it certainly made ME feel better as an aspiring-shitty goalie.

image.png.1b75d6b90ddf57c8cf08762ea070963a.png

23 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

...and in another attempt to jump-start while we're on the topic of game 7 of the Leafs-Bruins, what was Andersen doing after that five hole goal Debrusk scored? Why did he look back, and then put his glove over the five hole...? I mean, it certainly made ME feel better as an aspiring-shitty goalie.

He didn't see the puck behind him, so he put it in front to hopefully get a whistle by looking like he has control.

2 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

He didn't see the puck behind him, so he put it in front to hopefully get a whistle by looking like he has control.

That seems generous... especially watching it live last night. Sorry @coopaloop1234 but I'm not sure I buy it ¬¬

Now hear me out, but maybe - just maybe - Anderson is NOT quite as good a goalie as the Leafs nation seems to think he is. That goal was a stinker - and while attempting to become a goalie I have quickly become an expert in stinkers, because those constitute ~90% of the goals that get past me (on plus side- I still have mad fresh gear! #winning) :headbang:

17 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

That seems generous... especially watching it live last night. Sorry @coopaloop1234 but I'm not sure I buy it ¬¬

Now hear me out, but maybe - just maybe - Anderson is NOT quite as good a goalie as the Leafs nation seems to think he is. That goal was a stinker - and while attempting to become a goalie I have quickly become an expert in stinkers, because those constitute ~90% of the goals that get past me (on plus side- I still have mad fresh gear! #winning) :headbang:

I can't find it right now, but someone posted Andersen's Game 7 stats over his career. I think he's at a GAA of 2.8 and a SV% of .885 or something similar.

not exactly the definition of a clutch goalie in the playoffs.

24 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I can't find it right now, but someone posted Andersen's Game 7 stats over his career. I think he's at a GAA of 2.8 and a SV% of .885 or something similar.

not exactly the definition of a clutch goalie in the playoffs.

To be fair, I think they showed similar stats for Rask in career game 7 appearances at the top of the broadcast last night.

I also didn't think it would be so hard to start a Leafs-hate pile on here, which was part of my intention in posting (!) Here in Ottawa, it's been "Happy Leafs Elimination Day" emails and print outs left at Leafs fans' desks (though TBH, I hate the Sens way more than the Leafs - but Leafs Elimination Day is a magical time of year where the fans of 30 NHL teams can put their differences aside, and join together and harmoniously get their Leafs hate on.)

Anderson got exposed when he was with the Ducks and they had Chicago down 3 games to 2. Toews blasted one past his ear just below the bar in G6. He wasn't the same after. He does so many things well but I don't think he's as mentally strong as some of his peers. Having said that, hard to pin the implosion solely on him. Leafs don't know how to put teams away...yet.

2 hours ago, Znowleopard said:

of course the sharks had to loose the first game like that, way to set the mood sharks.....

With Thornton out, their BOIM (Bearded On-Ice Minutes) took a huge hit - and let's be honest; that's a huge part of the Sharks' game. I mean, imagine you were tiny little man-child MA Fleury, and facing these two...?

image.png.0b390ebd3ddccd71e0416d4e65648970.png

26 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

With Thornton out, their BOIM (Bearded On-Ice Minutes) took a huge hit - and let's be honest; that's a huge part of the Sharks' game. I mean, imagine you were tiny little man-child MA Fleury, and facing these two...?

image.png.0b390ebd3ddccd71e0416d4e65648970.png

I don't know.

I'll take those 3 rings and that fat shutout last night over those atrocities that they call beards.

6 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I don't know.

I'll take those 3 rings and that fat shutout last night over those atrocities that they call beards.

The Fleury soul-patch is the real facial hair atrocity in the NHL! LOL!

But yeah... 3 is about 3 more rings than Thornton, Burns - or I have.

image.png.2735f5ffe9490c3f349280badcfeb06c.png

Knights are something. Those first three goals were absolute killers to the Sharks. They went down one then two and you thought, ok they have to score.

Boom - goal three and it was off to the races.

42 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

If Winnipeg and Washington win tonight, I'm in jeopardy of having none of my teams make the conference finals.

I sure know how to pick them.

Toronto/Boston is the only one I've gotten wrong so far, and I had picked Toronto in 7 (and we all know game 7s are a toss-up). 

Winnipeg and Pittsburgh would give me a sweep of round 2, so 11 of 12 series. Winnipeg isn't likely to lose two games straight. Washington worries me a bit. They've won two games in the last couple minutes that could have easily gone the other way. 

Archived