The battle of the 90's..

Madmedic6

Please let me start with this is intended for informational purposes and is not to sway anyone from one brand to another. With the release of the ef6 and vapor 90, both being full hand 580 style gloves I wanted to do a comparison of the faces, shapes both opened and closed, back hand strapping, and how they play. 

The True 580... The glove that set the standard.  

The strapping is as to be expected. The recent change to Velcro pinky and thumb adjustment is pleasant, set and forget. The pass through of the wrist strap through the cuff makes for easy tightening without having to dig for the strap or binding. I will say that their pro palm is lacking in the protection area. But the glove closes like butter! The internal sure grip gets tacky when sweating making it easy to grip. Range of motion is decent. The pro palm protection is lacking. If reordered I'd go with pro extra to get the same level as ccm pro palm. 

The CCM 580...

While similar to the true 580 there are some subtle differences. The backhand has slightly different connections. Minor changes in the backhand. Glove face is almost a spitting image of the true in presentation and a face angle. The CCM still retains the external pinky string adjust. The wrist strap also passes through  the cuff making for easy tightening. Range of motion is similar to the True, but I feel the cuff isn't as open as the true. Pro palm protection is great as it has d30 in addition where true you have to do pro extra for the same. 

Then there's this contraption... The ef6..

This glove as come wins and losses.. First off I will say that the range of motion is by far the best of all 4 of these gloves! The cross x strap with the newly segmented cuff make for easy articulation without interference. The thumb face however is a downfall. This thing is almost flat and has caused quite a few picks to bounce out as opposed to being funneled in. Protection of the pro palm is great. The lack of finger stalls puts alot of unwanted stress on your pinky and index finger when closing the glove. 

The new to retail vapor 90..

Finally! Bauer has brought and option to try and level the playing field, sort of. First I will say that the glove closure feels more like a gnetik folding instead of a curve closure. The back hand is ridiculously tight in the back of your hand when closing, not to my liking. The back hand strapping is very similar to the ccm and true. But the wrist strap is not as pleasant as the ccm or true. Bauer retained the traditional external pinky strings. The internal liner is comfortable but 2 games back to back it starts to feel a little slippery in the fingers. Range of motion is again meh, but not as good at the true. Pro palm with dtc in the palm still leaves some to be desired. After multiple weeks of skates and being tied and stretched, this thing is still stiff! 

Sorry for the quick bullet points. I will try to get measurements and face/thumb angles soon. 

PXL_20231116_171238528.jpg

PXL_20231116_171313163.jpg

PXL_20231116_171125907.jpg

PXL_20231116_171610711.jpg

PXL_20231116_171614037.jpg

PXL_20231116_171631406.jpg

PXL_20231116_171633667.jpg

PXL_20231116_171530581.jpg

PXL_20231116_171534181.jpg

PXL_20231116_171552268.jpg

PXL_20231116_171555885.jpg

PXL_20231116_171352917.jpg

PXL_20231116_171423315.jpg

PXL_20231116_171443263.jpg

PXL_20231116_171153878.jpg

PXL_20231116_171215445.jpg

PXL_20231018_192956606.jpg

Edited by Madmedic6
Added info on the ef6
  • Like 5

True still looks like the kings of the 580's. Which isn't surprising. 

Though, just based off of these pictures, it looks like Bauer comes in second for closure and quality. CCM just looks to be in a rough spot overall for their catchers. 

Couple that with some of the questionable quality concerns CCM has been garnering, I genuinely have concerns they're going to rebound any time soon. 

The same question pops up since the Lefebrve split: "What does CCM bring to the table to differentiate itself as a manufacturer?" 

Edited by coopaloop1234

25 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

True still looks like the kings of the 580's. Which isn't surprising. 

Though, just based off of these pictures, it looks like Bauer comes in second for closure and quality. CCM just looks to be in a rough spot overall for their catchers. 

Couple that with some of the questionable quality concerns CCM has been garnering, I genuinely have concerns they're going to rebound any time soon. 

The same question pops up since the Lefebrve split: "What does CCM bring to the table to differentiate itself as a manufacturer?" 

I mean honestly, for me it's going to be the customization on the CCM leg pads differentiates themselves. That being said, their blockers are thinner and lighter than trues are now

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Madmedic6 said:

I mean honestly, for me it's going to be the customization on the CCM leg pads differentiates themselves. That being said, their blockers are thinner and lighter than trues are now

Fair enough. I am pretty biased when it comes to my overall impression/opinion on the CCM/True products. So my take on it isn't great if we're being objective lol. 

8 hours ago, Madmedic6 said:

Please let me start with this is intended for informational purposes and is not to sway anyone from one brand to another. With the release of the ef6 and vapor 90, both being full hand 580 style gloves I wanted to do a comparison of the faces, shapes both opened and closed, back hand strapping, and how they play. 

The True 580... The glove that set the standard.  

The strapping is as to be expected. The recent change to Velcro pinky and thumb adjustment is pleasant, set and forget. The pass through of the wrist strap through the cuff makes for easy tightening without having to dig for the strap or binding. I will say that their pro palm is lacking in the protection area. But the glove closes like butter! The internal sure grip gets tacky when sweating making it easy to grip. Range of motion is decent. The pro palm protection is lacking. If reordered I'd go with pro extra to get the same level as ccm pro palm. 

The CCM 580...

While similar to the true 580 there are some subtle differences. The backhand has slightly different connections. Minor changes in the backhand. Glove face is almost a spitting image of the true in presentation and a face angle. The CCM still retains the external pinky string adjust. The wrist strap also passes through  the cuff making for easy tightening. Range of motion is similar to the True, but I feel the cuff isn't as open as the true. Pro palm protection is great as it has d30 in addition where true you have to do pro extra for the same. 

Then there's this contraption... The ef6..

This glove as come wins and losses.. First off I will say that the range of motion is by far the best of all 4 of these gloves! The cross x strap with the newly segmented cuff make for easy articulation without interference. The thumb face however is a downfall. This thing is almost flat and has caused quite a few picks to bounce out as opposed to being funneled in. Protection of the pro palm is great. The lack of finger stalls puts alot of unwanted stress on your pinky and index finger when closing the glove. 

The new to retail vapor 90..

Finally! Bauer has brought and option to try and level the playing field, sort of. First I will say that the glove closure feels more like a gnetik folding instead of a curve closure. The back hand is ridiculously tight in the back of your hand when closing, not to my liking. The back hand strapping is very similar to the ccm and true. But the wrist strap is not as pleasant as the ccm or true. Bauer retained the traditional external pinky strings. The internal liner is comfortable but 2 games back to back it starts to feel a little slippery in the fingers. Range of motion is again meh, but not as good at the true. Pro palm with dtc in the palm still leaves some to be desired. After multiple weeks of skates and being tied and stretched, this thing is still stiff! 

Sorry for the quick bullet points. I will try to get measurements and face/thumb angles soon. 

PXL_20231116_171238528.jpg

PXL_20231116_171313163.jpg

PXL_20231116_171125907.jpg

PXL_20231116_171610711.jpg

PXL_20231116_171614037.jpg

PXL_20231116_171631406.jpg

PXL_20231116_171633667.jpg

PXL_20231116_171530581.jpg

PXL_20231116_171534181.jpg

PXL_20231116_171552268.jpg

PXL_20231116_171555885.jpg

PXL_20231116_171352917.jpg

PXL_20231116_171423315.jpg

PXL_20231116_171443263.jpg

PXL_20231116_171153878.jpg

PXL_20231116_171215445.jpg

PXL_20231018_192956606.jpg

Awesome! It's good to see a fellow silly sider showing off the gear.

I wonder why Bauer is über-stiff. Usually it is the cheap Lefebvre gloves that are so stiff as to be unusable. I'll keep that it mind if I do look to buy a FR 580 glove. 

Just now, ilyazhito said:

Awesome! It's good to see a fellow silly sider showing off the gear.

I wonder why Bauer is über-stiff. Usually it is the cheap Lefebvre gloves that are so stiff as to be unusable. I'll keep that it mind if I do look to buy a FR 580 glove. 

Lefevre is probably the best feeling glove materials wise as Bauer feels the cheapest. 

16 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Based on the title, I honestly thought this was going to be a thread about 1990s goalies or maybe the best 1990s sitcom. Needless to say I am disappointed. 

Felix Potvin

Full House

Anyway…

Pearl Jam Nirvana I was about it too

• Like 1

On 11/16/2023 at 9:43 PM, Madmedic6 said:

Lefevre is probably the best feeling glove materials wise as Bauer feels the cheapest. 

I had a pair of low price point Lefebvre Reebok gloves, and they were impossible to open and close properly even after several years of use. I also tried on a pair of new Lefebvre EFlex 5.9 full right gloves (the last CCM gloves that Lefebvre produced), and they were impossible to open or close from the get-go. By contrast, an new Bauer Reactor 3000 opened and closed like a charm. 

• 1 month later...

Is there anyway to replicate a 580 without trying on a 580? Unfortunately I do not have access to a store or a fellow goalie who has a 580 and I want to give a vapor 90 a try. I’m currently using a Mach and can catch alright with it but still don’t like the closure and I tried back on my G5 and it feels a lot better closure and break in the palm feel. 

I know it’s more personal preference but is the 580 worth switching too or is it just the new hotness? Can’t decide between the vapor 90 or just going with a ln off the shelf vapor glove. 

30 minutes ago, xmikex32 said:

Is there anyway to replicate a 580 without trying on a 580? Unfortunately I do not have access to a store or a fellow goalie who has a 580 and I want to give a vapor 90 a try. I’m currently using a Mach and can catch alright with it but still don’t like the closure and I tried back on my G5 and it feels a lot better closure and break in the palm feel. 

I know it’s more personal preference but is the 580 worth switching too or is it just the new hotness? Can’t decide between the vapor 90 or just going with a ln off the shelf vapor glove. 

Do not buy a vapor 60 degree glove. They very rarely break in properly and have the tendency to break the center palm plastic just like the original hyperlite. If you like warrior gloves, especially G5, it's very hard to find something similar. I've been struggling with that but have had good luck with G6.0 currently and Gnetik gloves in the past

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xmikex32 said:

True 580 and Bauer 580 feel different. 

The Goalie Crease in Toronto just got some 580 breaks in stock, don't know if you're around there or not.

2 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

The Goalie Crease in Toronto just got some 580 breaks in stock, don't know if you're around there or not.

Im not near there but I saw that they have some in stock in the color I want. I’m trying to nicely get them to ship to the US. 

57 minutes ago, xmikex32 said:

Im not near there but I saw that they have some in stock in the color I want. I’m trying to nicely get them to ship to the US. 

I got one of the TGC spec Vapor90 from them and absolutely love that glove and I came from a Mach the Vapor90 is super easy to close and the pucks just bounce straight in to the pocket if I miss the pocket

And I live in Texas so they will ship to the US

Edited by Hockey34

4 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Unfortunately I don’t have a way to try either of them on. Is it a big difference or just noticeable. It would be kind of a moot point since I haven’t tried on any type of 580 before I just like the closure method described and the pocket orientation. I’ve only ever had Simmons, warrior, and Bauer Mach gloves. 

• 1 month later...

One thing i noticed and have read several people having the same issue is that the Vapor 90 doesn't seal the ice completely when covering the puck. There is a good size gap that allows the puck to slide out. It happened to me in a game the other night, i covered the puck on the side of the net and went to slide it in front of me and my glove stopped and the puck kept sliding out in front of the net. luckily, nothing came of it but its not the only time I've had issues with the gap. Will it get better as the glove breaks in or is this a 580 thing? So far i like the glove and the closure just getting adjusted to the new break and getting the glove worked in. I'm just more mindful when covering the puck and don't move my glove around until the whistle. 

On 11/16/2023 at 6:12 PM, WillyGrips13 said:

Based on the title, I honestly thought this was going to be a thread about 1990s goalies or maybe the best 1990s sitcom. Needless to say I am disappointed. 

Felix Potvin

Full House

Anyway…

He wasn't that good.

3 hours ago, xmikex32 said:

One thing i noticed and have read several people having the same issue is that the Vapor 90 doesn't seal the ice completely when covering the puck. There is a good size gap that allows the puck to slide out. It happened to me in a game the other night, i covered the puck on the side of the net and went to slide it in front of me and my glove stopped and the puck kept sliding out in front of the net. luckily, nothing came of it but its not the only time I've had issues with the gap. Will it get better as the glove breaks in or is this a 580 thing? So far i like the glove and the closure just getting adjusted to the new break and getting the glove worked in. I'm just more mindful when covering the puck and don't move my glove around until the whistle. 

I've noticed this too with my Vapor 90. There's been a couple times that I was sure I had it covered, but I didn't quite have the ice seal I thought  I had. That and the pocket shape isn't quite the same as a CCM/True 580. I'm now debating moving back to a US-style catcher when the new Shadow launches.